Pre med advice- Traditional route, advice re: preparation

Thank you!

Since it is your child going to college, and I have to assume he/she is 18, have you asked your child what he/she is interested in? Is medicine your dream or your child’s? The reason I ask this is because kids interested in BS/MD programs are typically egged on by someone. Frankly, I am very surprised that someone whose kid applied to BS/MD programs has such limited knowledge about admissions, requirements etc. Not trying to be unreasonable here but I am at a loss.

I personally worked with someone (now retired) who literally egged his two sons to get MD degrees. Both are internal medicine doctors now, make ~$200K per year with the same amount of debt and absolutely hate their lives. They are married with kids and have pretty much cut off all contacts with this former coworker of mine. I also know another doctor who went back to academic medicine because this person cannot afford college for 4 kids and the university offers a nice deal for employees with college kids (tuition exchange/reimbursement).

1 Like

^^Nicely said.

There is great deal of job dissatisfaction among physicians right now. It’s one of the reasons why 1 in 5 physicians plan to quit their jobs in the next 5 year.

Also medicine has become increasingly corporatized --meaning that for-profit entities are buying up hospitals and medical practices. Doctors for the most part no longer work for themselves; they work for an investment capital firm.

Nationally, physician income is declining in almost all specialties.

And employment saturation is happening in many of more desirable areas to live/major cities & their suburbs. This further depresses the salaries a young physician can expect to earn.

There is even a national oversupply of physicians in some specialties. (radiation oncology, emergency medicine, for example.)

Medicine is high stress field where seeking mental health help is frowned upon. The suicide rate among physicians is very high-- more than twice that of their age peers and the highest of any profession

5 Likes

Well that paints a fairly bleak picture

It’s all why someone needs to really want to do the job, not the money, not the high status, not because of some TV show they loved. They have to love the job in order to make it worthwhile.

We talked with our guy quite a bit about all of this ahead of time, and more than once. He loves what he does - even with the bad points of the job.

Teaching is similar in one needing to both like it and be good at it, but not nearly the time or money commitment ahead of time.

1 Like

Here is the most important piece of advice anyone can offer a pre-med:

If there is any other profession you think would be happy doing–please, go do that.

5 Likes

This can’t be said often enough!

2 Likes

Are your kids not happy with their professional life, if you don’t mind me asking? No profession is perfect. The only downside I see is loans 
but if everyone thinks the same, we will have no doctors
I think we are in need of good physicians,ofcourse everything needs hardwork, dedication 
no free lunches
only the deserving will go thru 
with some element of luck /randomness
I would take examples of happy physicians

@Aum2022 the doctors in my family are happy with their decisions. But I will say
they gave those decisions a LOT of thought. NO BS/MD because at age 17 or so they really had no idea what they wanted to do for a career. None applied directly out of undergrad school either
as they wanted to take the time to make an informed decision about this commitment and what it was going to take in time, personal commitment, etc. before they applied to medical school.

And yes, they all had a Plan B that would have worked for them in the event medical school didn’t happen.

My personal opinion
it takes this kind of forward thinking to make a good decision about whether becoming a doctor is what you really want to do.

3 Likes

Medicine has its ups and downs.

They love their profession, but the day-to-day reality of it grinds you down.

It’s the lack of quality sleep. The lack of normal work hours. It’s the 60+ hour work weeks. It’s being treated like an interchangeable widget by your hospital administration. It’s being told that you can only spend 15 minutes with a patient even though you may need more time to ferret out what their problem is because that’s all the insurance company will reimburse you for. It’s being strung along on the junior partner track where you take all the shifts no senior member wants in hopes of being asked to join the practice, but the practice group hasn’t hired a new senior partner in a decade. It’s the lack of respect from patients who will argue with you about their treatment because they consulted Dr. Google and it told them they should be taking X drug or getting Y treatment when those are wildly inappropriate for their condition. It’s watching young healthy individuals die day after day. It’s spending your free afternoon off catching up on your patient charting instead of playing with your kids or going to watch your child’s recital or sporting event. It’s never being able to know if you’ll have to miss your child’s birthday party or parent-teacher meeting because something happened at work and you have to go in. It’s taking emergency calls in the middle of night. It’s working a 28 hours shift with only 12 hours off before having to report back to work.

And because they’re women physicians, there are countless other small indignities–like being called “Hey Missy,” Or Girlie. Or Sweetheart. Honey. Babydoll. By staff members as as well as patients. It’s male doctors being addressed as Dr. ABC by colleagues , but women physicians called by their first names by those same colleagues. It’s being mistaken for a nurse, med tech, PA even once for janitorial services. It’s receiving lower patient ratings just because you’re female although the patients received identical care for the identical condition. (Patient satisfaction ratings affect your reimbursement rates.) And at one hospital where one daughter works, women physicians cannot access the surgical lounge or on-call rooms because to do so one needs to walk through the men’s locker room with its open showers and public urinals. Instead women physicians have to go up 3 floors from the surgical suites and use the nurses’ locker room to change before and after surgery. (BTW, this hospital is fairly new. Built in the 90s.)

So they have a love-hate relationship with medicine.

5 Likes

Or how about
you get four weeks of vacation per year
and you request only one specific week
and are told
NO.

That is really sad to know
female doctors being Paid less and respected less 
something we need to address as a society
despite
being
 a developed country and is a debate in itself.
I understand your concerns and totally see your point
but I think it is not the same everywhere -in terms of every state or hospital so to speak
may be in more measure where your daughters are practicing

so what I see is not a problem with “medicine” as a profession
but a deep rooted problem in the way society treats women

No, it is everywhere, not just where @WayOutWestMom daughters are.

“ No, it is everywhere, not just where @WayOutWestMom daughters are.”

Agree.

The entire first paragraph of my complaints list are not unique to female physicians. They are universal issues that all doctors experience.

Only the second paragraph has issues that are unique to women physicians.

Healthcare delivery in the US has many, many systemic issues. I hear med school applicants, med students and young doctors frequently say it needs to be blown up and completely replaced.

But that’s not likely to happen in anytime in the next 50 years.

Some introductory reading on what’s wrong with healthcare in the US

1 Like

Women and those not WASP. My guy is WASP and has told me he often had to redirect patients to a female doctor or person of color when he was a med school student. Even after he had done that sometimes the patient would still treat him as if he were the person in charge. He feels for those doctors. They told him they’re used to it, but it still has to be frustrating.

3 Likes

Are certified clinical experiences (EMT , CNA) considered better by medical school admissions? over hospice volunteering or other clinic /hospital based patient interactions?

You need to do both
a patient contact job
and volunteer work.

I personally think CNA work is a great way to go because you have real patient contact every time you work.

What other “hospital based patient interactions” are you talking about!

Thanks. I am talking about clinical experience of any kind, in which patient interactions occur. So one can volunteer in a hospice ( not administrative) or a clinic (pediatrics/ ob gyn outpatient clinics) or a volunteering in ED with patient interaction. These do not need any additional time commitment/ certifications to be done over semesters. And you still get to interact with patients and make it meaningful. However, now looks like certified courses, that need studying (adding to pre med courses) are becoming more popular. People do courses in community colleges and then volunteer/ jobs. So the good old regular clinical experiences 
like I said before,
not sure if they are considered good enough any more. Any medical students or pre- meds with personal experiences, if here, your opinion will be helpful.
Thanks