Pre-med at Colorado College?

Hi everyone! As an aspiring pre-med student, I was accepted EA to Colorado College Class of 2022 and I’m wondering how strong CC’s pre-med program is. On CC’s website, it is said that 31 out of 38 (that was about 88%) CC pre-med students in 2013-14 application year were accepted to at least one medical school. But aside from numbers, could anyone share more about CC’s pre-health advising system as a whole to me? Any response will be appreciated!

Also, I’m happy to provide more background info about me. I’m an international aspiring pre-med student (RIP!!!) and still get some other strong pre-med schools like Haverford and Davidson for ED2 and RD round on my list. I understand that my interest in pre-med could change in next four years, and really want to get insightful suggestions right now.

Thanks!

I don’t want send your thread down the wrong track, Matthew, but it seems those figures convert to an ~82% acceptance rate.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/applying-international-applicant/ indicates that international students have a lower admission rate to US medical schools, not all of which admit international students. Additionally, US medical schools are very expensive.

Note that colleges with high medical school admission rates may have a pre-med committee that pre-screens pre-meds and endorses with committee letters only those who have a high chance of admission to medical school. While this may be good for students who want to know early on that their chances are low and forego a probably-futile medical school application process, it may not be good for students who are otherwise willing to apply even if their chances are low.

Would your place of citizenship or residency have a lower cost way of attending medical school, after which you can try for medical residency in the US?

I have been told that the acceptance rates for pre-med are deceiving, and may reflect more about how well the u iversity does in counseling out students than the quality of the program. That said, I have no idea how to otherwise judge quality. I think I saw some threads on judging the quality of undergrad programs in the pre-med forum. Have you looked there for ideas?

I find that rumor about counseling students out of applying to be unsubstantiated.