Prep School College Early Action/Early Decision results for seniors

Maybe it’s because I don’t have a HYPS kid, but I think that the obsession with matriculation stats at that level is misplaced. At least if you’re comparing high schools based on their matriculation rates. What I always wanted to know was: where do these schools send all of their OTHER kids? Which colleges are the kids at the bottom half of the class getting into? Are they getting into the colleges that they want and do they have good choices? Also, does the school have experience sending their graduates to a range of colleges: LACs, large state Us, engineering programs, service academies and so on. If their list is too narrow & deep, you will be competing with your classmates at every level.

I think that one should assume that they will be in the middle of their BS class, and look at those stats. To choose a school based on how many kids they send to HYPS, with all of the caveats that @Center mentions, is foolish.

@GMC2918 @Center is 85% correct, meaning in my opinion and with the same anecdotal evidence he has (our kids go to the same BS), 85% of the HYPS kids are from the categories he mentions. The other 15% will be true national caliber academic superstars who won the national math, physics, chemistry competition outside of the BS or something along those lines.

Thing is those 15% would have been HYPS with our without the BS. The marginal difference for a few may be that the education at the boarding school gave that kid the tools to win the national competition. Typical public schools do not have the true college level math and science courses (meaning they are substantively more challenging than a typical high school AP course and reflective of the kind of rigor you’d get at a top college).

As for your original question, where do the rest of the kids go take a look here:

https://www.exeter.edu/sites/default/files/documents/college_matriculation.pdf

@GMC2918 keep in mind – and this is the marketing pitch from the boarding schools – the boarding school experience is a product unto itself and should not be equated with acceptance to a college. On many levels the soup to nuts experience you get at a HADES school is superior to a college including the Ivies. I went to Columbia and my intro Physics/Chem classes had a 150 people in them. At HADES schools the maximum class size is 12. At HADES schools you live with your teachers and have much greater access to them for support than you would your professors at a top college. And from what I’ve seen at BS alumni events I’ve attended the kids bond for life in ways that adults in college do not.

Thanks @divdad , I agree with you! I have two kids in BS who came from competitive NYC HYPS-obsessed private schools. To be clear (not my strong suit!) I was aiming my comments towards BS applicants who, in my opinion, place way too much emphasis on HYPS matriculation stats at whichever BS they are looking at. To me, what’s truly impressive about Exeter and other top schools, is the opposite end of their matriculation list. The questions that I posed were ones that I asked during the process, and which I found much more helpful than simply looking at HYPS stats. I was suggesting that applicants may want to consider the totality of a school’s matriculation list, and not just the very top. Because, quite frankly, they can’t assume that they will in fact be at the very top.

@divdad I agree with you completely --100%–and I consider 85% the lion’s share :))

@GMC2918 I am from Manhattan too and am very familiar with the Dalton, Horace Mann, Brealey, et al crowd. I think you made the right choice with a BS. The boarding schools still have many of the same downsides as the competitive city day schools. The day schools have a significant number of children of celebrities, trustees, and Managing Directors that will always take priority over your kid in the college placement office. That still exists in the BS but because the class sizes are larger (250/class instead of 100/class) there is more wiggle room for the rest of us.

The big difference I think is that in the day school if you want to hang out with your friend after school you may go back to their Upper East Side townhouse with them. And that same friend may never visit you in Queens, Brooklyn, wherever else you may live. In a boarding school, everyone lives in a dorm, eats the same food, and has the same lights out policy. Everyone has equal access to the school’s resources and likely doesn’t have a $250/hr private tutor waiting for them when they get home. By no means does a BS completely level the economic playing field, but they do a much better job of it than the day school can. And even for the wealthy, celebrity kid I think net/net that’s a good experience.

As for PEA, in my opinion, the top 2/3rds of the class all wind up at good to great colleges. The bottom third wind up at no better a college than they might have had they gone to their local public high school. Not everyone at PEA challenges themselves; some people coast, take the less rigorous courses and focus time and attention on things that are perhaps interesting to them but not to college admissions committees. In other words, you have to work hard at not working hard to wind up in the bottom third at PEA.

And if you make the choice to wind up in the bottom third at PEA you wind up at your local state university with a major competitive advantage over the kids that went to your local high school. You’ll still have a great life, have a fantastic network of BS peers for the rest of your life, and a nice career, you probably just won’t grow up to be Robert Mueller (St. Paul’s).

@divdad "As for PEA, in my opinion, the top 2/3rds of the class all wind up at good to great colleges. The bottom third wind up at no better a college than they might have had they gone to their local public high school. Not everyone at PEA challenges themselves; some people coast, take the less rigorous courses and focus time and attention on things that are perhaps interesting to them but not to college admissions committees. In other words, you have to work hard at not working hard to wind up in the bottom third at PEA.

And if you make the choice to wind up in the bottom third at PEA you wind up at your local state university with a major competitive advantage over the kids that went to your local high school. You’ll still have a great life, have a fantastic network of BS peers for the rest of your life, and a nice career, you probably just won’t grow up to be Robert Mueller (St. Paul’s)."

I think your assessment is overlooking some critical factors: there are many kids at PEA (and other schools) that are bottom third or middle of the pack and go on to better schools than their performance would warrant because they are legacy/URM/athlete and so forth. That pushes many kids out of those spots–down the ladder or sideways. Then you have a much under-appreciated factor in performance. The enormous number of repeats: 9th and 10th most specifically. There are tons of kids the grade below my kid that are older and have repeated. They generally have an advantage. Red shirting is not just for sports.

@Center All good points…I’ll add a little nuance to some of your points.

I think as a society we all agree that there should be a reasonable degree of equal opportunity. Finland takes the American notion of equality of opportunity to its logical conclusion and they have essentially outlawed private schools. There are no elite boarding or private day schools in Finland. Rich kids go to the same schools as poor kids. And in a system like that everyone gets a good education. Finland can’t equalize everyone’s home life but they level the equality of opportunity playing field reasonably well.

What we are doing in the US is arguing over how much we can tilt the playing field to our kids advantage and still sit on a moral high ground and call it fair.

If your kid is at a school like PEA you’ve already tilted the playing field egregiously in favor of your kid. I stand guilty as charged.

My numbers may be off a bit but HADES schools typically spend around $80K per student per year. Tuition is supplemented with endowment income. The top exam schools like Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, and Boston Latin are in the $12K/year ballpark. That’s about a 7x differential in spending per student.

@Center I think what you are saying is within the elite private school system legacies, URM, and athletes get even more of an edge. I’ll agree that each student should be judged on his or her own merits. I don’t see how Dad going to a college increases the “merits” of the child applicant. Though schools see better ROI on alumni donations across multiple generations so I understand the financial incentive.

As for the other two categories, URM/athlete. URM students bring important perspective to dorm life and classroom discussion that cannot be had from a majority class student. Hard to put a price on that value but I personally would rate it high. Yes, a white kid won’t get that spot but the white kids who do get spots will benefit from the diversity. It’s a calculation. And please remember white people had an affirmative action program at Harvard from 1636 to about 2010. My freshman year at Columbia the senior class was still all guys. Columbia went coed in 1983.

The morning after the superbowl my Facebook feed tells me society still values athletes. Athletes put effort into their craft that takes away from academics. Teams fill stadiums and give a campus a sense of pride and community. There’s value there. And I personally value the idea that education should address physical health as well as intellectual health. Again it’s a calculation, a moral choice if you will, but if I sat on an admissions committee I’d select an athlete with slightly lower intellectual credentials over someone who only contributes intellectually to a multifaceted community.

To me the legacy system feels like affirmative action for white people. As these schools built their endowments it made sense. When the endowments get so high they no longer need to charge tuition to anyone hopefully at that time we can do away with the legacy system as it won’t be needed anymore.

But if we are honest, those of us here in the boarding school parent thread, we are substantively tilting the playing field for our own. I feel we have already lost the moral high ground and have little leg to stand on when we complain someone else is tilting it even more for their kid.

Back to the original point of this thread…private schools not performing well in this year’s EA/ED round…the colleges may have finally decided to stop giving 50% of their spots to the private school 1% and the other 50% of the spots to the public school 99%. Time and the RD round will tell.