Prescreen Video Recording Resources DIY

<p>I think many of us on "the audition trail" have heard from colleges that previously did not require prescreens videos, will be changing that policy next year due to the unprecedentedly high volume of applicants this year. While this whole process is still fresh in our minds, I'd like to start a thread about what worked, what didn't, what you would do differently next time regarding the process of recording prescreens videos. While I know that for some folks hiring a professional and renting a studio is the best option, I'd like for this thread to be devoted to the DIYers - those who for financial, logistical reasons must do their own video recordings. I have a feeling that doing college prescreens will NOT be the last time our kids will need to do this, and perhaps those of you who have kids (or are students) already IN college, or out of college and in the professional world can chime in. Many of us found this to be one of the most stressful aspects of this process. It would be nice if we can pass along our past mistakes, and successes, to those who come after. </p>

<p>Perhaps we can list the equipment used, editing software, location of shoot, time involved, who was present (coaches, accompanists, etc.), if using pre-recorded accompaniment how did you record and project it, did you use a 3rd party service/device to upload, type of internet connection, information resources, anything else you can think of that was helpful. Include what went right, what went wrong, what you would do differently next time.</p>

<p>First time we did this was for S’s application to summer program after junior year. We used a a digital SLR camera mounted on tripod, with external microphone attached, live accompanist, recorded in our church sanctuary (complete with poinsettias in background). We also used an extra digital sound recorder, for “just in case”. S’s voice teacher and acting coach friend were present. The hardest part was scheduling a mutually agreeable date for venue and all parties involved. It took about a month to work that out. Recording took about an hour and a half. S took a few days to edit, but uploading turned out to be problem.</p>

<p>We did NOT know what we were doing. S edited in iPhoto - couldn’t figure out how to get files into a movie editing program - it turned out the file size was too large to upload on our “dinosaur age” phone-line based internet provider. Resource desk help at DecisionDesk/Acceptd (can’t remember which) was very helpful in helping us adjust file size/format, but still ended up having non-MT S transfer files to thumb drive and driving to university to upload using their internet. Desk help advised us to upload to DropBox. S was accepted to Summer program despite shortfalls of video.</p>

<p>For college prescreens, again the most difficult up-front part was scheduling mutual time for voice teacher, acting coach, accompanist, S, parents and venue. It took more than a month to work it out. S needed to have pieces ready, but needed to have things submitted by early October. Timing was tricky. This we did it in a college classroom the accompanist had access to (S stood in front of wall-length curtain). We did filming with iPad mounted on tripod with a “Caddie Buddie” (sp? A terrific device for attaching iPad to tripod, or mounting it on chair, pole, etc.). This time recording took about 2 - 3 hours. S needed prescreens for only two colleges, but had to do do multiple versions to accommodate the different required time restraints and “slating” (recorded intros).</p>

<p>S also did dance video at dance studio where he takes classes, with director’s help and recorded music. Again used iPad on tripod. Most difficult part was scheduling time in an open studio when S, Director and mom were mutually available. Started this process in August, but don’t think it worked out until very end of September. We were able to complete recording in less than an hour.</p>

<p>We would love to have a sure-fire way to get files into a good editing program - iPhoto was NOT ideal (we’re Mac-based) - and to know FOR SURE we could upload them easily. We STILL experienced trouble with these aspects for college prescreens a year later, when videoing with iPad and following guidelines posted on DecisionDesk/Acceptd websites. Phone-line internet was upgraded this year, but still not up to fiber-optic speed. Even with smaller file sizes, S still had to contact help desk for aid with upload. One unexpected snag both times we did this, was how long it took to complete the uploads. Uploading took hours (days, the first time we did it) and if it was interrupted for whatever reason, had to be restarted. Ultimately, it took us several days to edit, contact desk help and complete the upload.</p>

<p>We used a digital video camera mounted to a tripod. Edited in windows movie maker. Filmed in the dance studio on a Saturday or a Sunday when there are no regularly scheduled classes. Picked filming date EARLY for voice teacher/accompanist. Recorded songs and monos on the same day, but did the dance stuff on another day on her regular day/time for a dance private. </p>

<p>We had great success (I think song and mono choices and being able to see and hear clearly are much more important than professional production.) </p>

<p>One change I would make would be to have piano tracks ahead of time for better balance of volume (instead of live accompaniment )</p>

<p>Uploads did take much longer than anticipated. We set our personal deadline to match the UMich early deadline, and it meant that we got our first choice audition date at nearly every school. Acceptd is easier to navigate than decision desk, but we were familiar with both from summer program submissions. Don’t wait until the last minute I case you have upload issues. </p>

<p>@kategrizz … How early was the UofM early deadline? Are we talking about September? </p>

<p>A few things we did to make pre screens easier:

1. Made a chart listing what each school needed. Some wanted different lengths of monologues and song cuts. Some wanted dance, some didn’t. Some wanted specific slates or had specific camera directions. The chart made it easy to know what we needed to record for each pre screen.
  2. Best decision I made was to hire a friend of my daighter’s who was also a high school student who is an aspiring film maker. He recorded all the different cuts she needed. Then, using our chart, he made different files with the correct cuts for each school. He added title and subtitles to each. And forwarded us both a digital file for each school and a DVD for each school in the formats each school requested. For 2 hours of recording time and his editing time plus travel we paid him $100. It was worth it to me as I am not very technical and it would have taken me days to do what he did in a matter of hours. And I didn’t have to fear erasing something important, not having the right light or sound, etc… It was an expense but she did pass her prescreens and I had peace of mind I hadn’t messed up the recordings or the files :slight_smile:
  3. I agree with shooting prescreens early. D started picking out audition material the spring of her junior year. She shot her pre screens in September. And had all applications in by October. As mentioned before, this allowed us to get our first choice of audition dates. Getting pre screens in early usually gets you a quick response which then also allows you to know if those schools will be on your audition schedule so you can plan for travel and budget.</p>

<p>@MTmom2015 - It was October 15 this year (and you got a prescreen decision by November 15 or 25?) We had prescreens all filmed to make the UMich deadline, and had ALL schools apps and prescreens submitted by Halloween. We only had one school that we weren’t able to get our first choice audition date.</p>

<p>My son made and edited his own prescreen video, using the same digital video camera, tripod, and editing software he has been using for years. The thing I thought was especially slick was that he digitized the sheet music for his songs, changed the key, and created a custom backing track for himself.</p>

<p>When his friends heard about it, they all wanted his services as well! He has become very skilled, and now he routinely digitizes legally purchased sheet music, does key changes, and produces backing tracks for his fellow MT students. He has created his own little online business! Who knows, if the word spreads and his base of paying customers increases, this might take the place of the more usual “survival jobs” when he starts his acting career after college.</p>

<p>He did the research and is confident that for classroom performances and auditions it is perfectly legal “fair use.” </p>

<p>@prodesse, when you say your son makes custom backing tracks, I understand the key changes and cuts, but were they “played” digitally? Or did he record himself playing the piano? If so, what does he use to record the piano? What a terrific sideline.</p>

<p>He doesn’t play piano – actually, I guess he does now, because it’s required at his school.</p>

<p>No, the software he uses can “play” the accompaniment track and he can even choose the instrumentation. For auditions, people usually prefer a plain piano sound. He creates a MP3 file that can be played through speakers.</p>

<p>The digitized, key-changed sheet music can be printed out for live auditions. Cool, isn’t it? I was very impressed that he could do this. He did some custom key changes for his high school madrigal group also.</p>

<p>I know several colleges request that prescreen accompaniment be played “live” whenever possible, but that pre-recorded accompaniment is sometimes acceptable. Has there ever been any kickback because the piano track was not “played” be a human? And what device is used to play back the accompaniment when the singer is being videoed, or whatever?</p>

<p>I did my students videos on an iPad mounted on a special tripod mount. It was also nice because it was easy to sing to because it mimicked a person. The most important thing was lighting and simple bright setting and really getting the kids to connect with the camera. </p>

<p>I was able to easily trim and edit the video on the iPad and load onto a flash drive from a computer. </p>

<p>I did only a couple of students, but they all passed all of their prescreens. </p>

<p>MTCoachNYC, did you have any special editing software on your iPad? Or just the usual that it comes with? Did you do any sound/volume editing? I know that pre-screeners prefer as little editing as possible, but did you ever change balance of accompaniment and singer?</p>

<p>This is a GREAT POST – keep the info coming!</p>

<p>In my opinion, professional prescreens have no advantage over a good self produced recording. In fact the professional videos can often look and sound too produced taking away the personality and realness of the student who is auditioning. iPads and iPhones are fine as cameras as long as the lighting is good. In fact with any camera, lighting makes a huge difference. If you are having issues with lighting, you can buy a few construction can lights at Home Depot for less than $10 a piece and use them to add light to a room. </p>

<p>The absolute best camera for making videos is a DSLR with HD capabilities. You just can’t beat the image of those cameras. If you have access to a Mac or iPad, the iMovie editing software is sufficient. If you have a PC, Movie Maker should also be more than enough. If you want additional capabilities, look for Adobe Premiere Elements 11 or 12. You can find the software for as low as $49.99 and its a program that your child will be able to use for many years to come (the pro version operates the same but has additional high end plugins). In fact if they learn to use it well, they can develop a marketable skill that could earn them extra money on the side.</p>

<p>When you are trying to decide where to place the camera, your number one concern should be capturing the sound. You need to find the “critical distance” which is the location at which the balance of the direct sound from the singer and the reverberant sound (the sound bouncing around the room, off the walls, etc.) are both equal. To do this, lay out a 25 ft tape measure on the floor. Starting at about 6ft, have your student sustain an /a/ vowel in the upper-middle part of their range at around volume 7-8 out of 10 (their loudest). They should breathe as needed, but otherwise maintain the same volume and pitch. Stand at 6 ft, start an audio or video recording and wait at the 6 ft mark for about 5 seconds, then move back 4 ft, speak “10 ft,” them move back four ft, speak “14 ft,” and repeat the process all the way to the end of the tape measure. When you are done, stop the recording and listen back through head phones or speakers. You will hear the sound change as you move backwards. Up close it will be bright and clear. It will get warmer to a certain point, then it will get really hollow sounding and you will lose the clarity of the voice. You want a place in the middle where there is a balance of warmth from the room and the clarity of the voice. This is why you usually stand around 10-15 ft from the audition table, the auditors want to hear your voice balanced in the room. </p>

<p>Once you have found the “spot” set your camera up there. If you cannot get a good video shot from that location, you may want to consider taping video and audio separately. To do this, place the video camera wherever you want it and a separate audio recorder at the critical distance. Start both the audio and the video recordings at the same time, clap your hands loudly three times, wait two seconds, and then do the audition. Then import the audio and video recordings into the video editing software. When you import the video, it will also have an audio track attached to it. In most video editing programs you will be able to see audio “graphs” for both the video camera audio and the separately recorded audio track (on a Mac you can use GarageBand for this step). You will then see three spikes on each audio track from the three claps. Line the three spikes from the audio recording with the thre spikes from the video recording. Now your audio tracks will be synced. You can then mute the camera audio and you should have beautiful video combined with great audio. </p>

<p>Hope this helps! If the forum would allow, I would be willing to create a video tutorial, but I don’t know that they allow you to share those on here.</p>

<p>~VT </p>

<p>I think for many, the biggest issues have more to do with formatting and uploading. Not with the actual recording of the videos. I found it well worth the price to hire a high school student to shoot our videos and provide them in the format each school requested. Our video wasn’t fancy or professional. But because I’m not too technical, I found it very helpful to have someone who understood editing and formatting help. It would have taken me many more hours and a lot of stress to figure out how to do it. People who are good with technology will see no need. And will tell you it is simple. It may be if you are good at that sort of thing. But for those of us unfamiliar, it was money well spent to make sure something so important was recorded and uploaded successfully. Make sure however you do it your files are saved well and allow plenty of time for up
uploading. You will read many stories on CC of troubles with uploading. Not to scare you. It is a relatively simple process if your files are in the correct format and you aren’t rushed. Just more food for thought.</p>

<p>Wow @VoiceTeacher - love the info about camera placement for sound! Of course that would have just given me one more thing to obsess about on that stressful filming day (which - interestingly enough - stressed my D out more than any of her live auditions!)</p>

<p>@VoiceTeacher, thank you! Your instructions are very clear and helpful, again. We used a DSLR for our first videoing attempt - and you’re right the quality was super, but the huge file size was unmanageable for uploading, and we were “afraid” to change the definition during editing. If you use a DSLR, what should the “pixelization” be set to during recording, so you will have no trouble uploading, but will still have good quality. Am I right, that the standard definition that is generally used to post videos on the web is not adequate for this purpose? What is ideal?</p>

<p>Good question… I never put my video camera on high definition for the same reason, huge file size. I don’t think I know enough about all this to use HD. </p>

<p>Son filmed using a Mac and then imovie to edit. He used live accompaniment. They met together once before he filmed to go over what he needed. He filmed the monologues at home once we moved some furniture. I never knew we had so many windows, and trying to find a bare expanse of wall was interesting. I would recommend that you first check out the schools acceptd site to go over the directions. We thought only one school wanted each piece uploaded separately according to the directions on the school website, only to find all had set up the acceptd to upload each piece separately. Son had spent unnecessary time editing and needed to “unedit”. Some of the accepted sites also want the student to answer a question in a paragraph or two. It would have been great if son had known to have a written piece ready.</p>

<p>My d used a zoom q2hd for prescreens. It is around $200 at best buy and has the best sound recording for the money. The video is not as good as a dslr camera but the sound is exponentially better. You have to buy an additional sd card for memory space and you will also need a tripod and additional batteries (the batteries run out very quickly). When she did her regional audition for oberlin vp THEY used a zoom camera. She also has used this same device for recording her coachings and classes. </p>