Private Music Study Non Major Beginner

So I really want to learn how to play the cello. I’ve taken violin lessons before (when I was 7) and piano (10-13) so I know how to read music and I know most terms. I know nothing about the cello but I want to learn. I’m willing to put in all the effort too. I thought it would be simple to enroll in the MUA 137 class for private cello study for non majors but everything I’ve read online says they don’t take beginners, or at least alludes to that fact. Has anyone, major or non major, had experience taking one of these MUA classes as a beginner? Advice?

Also, if I somehow do get into a class, how do I acquire a cello? Do I rent it from the school or a music shop? Or do I use one from the school that I could take home and practice with at home and that rent is included in the extra course fee? When should I find a cello by? Before the first day of class?

Also, I’m drafting an email to someone in the music department expressing my interest in learning the cello. Who should I send it to and how do I make them take me seriously?

Thanks

The non majors music classes are for students who play that instrument at a college level and require special permisson from the instructor to register, which is usually given after an audition. Unfortunately, I believe they do not take beginners. If you want to learn the cello as a beginner, you can enroll in UA’s Community Music School where you can take private lessons from an undergraduate student, graduate student, professional teacher, or artist teacher (UA school of music faculty) depending on availability and how much you are willing to pay.

I believe most music students own/rent their own instruments, so I do not think UA’s school of music rents out instruments like high schools typically do. You can try emailing the director of the community music school or the cello professor, and they may be able to direct you to a place where you can rent or buy an instrument. You should definitely have an instrument before you start lessons though.