Private school's department head reached out, should I respond or not?

I recently applied for a few private schools in NE for entering 9th grade. Applications already completed by Jan15. Then early February I received an email from one of the schools, their head of English department. The email mostly talked about how wonderful their English classes were, some examples of the literatures used in the classes, and said happy to discuss further or answer any questions. (I did mention my interest in English classes in the application form and during interview with the AO.) What does this email mean? Should I respond or not? I don’t have anything to ask, unless they admit me then I will do more research on their English program, and maybe I will have questions later.

Any experience similar to this, please share your opinion. Thank you.

If the email was from Emma Willard, that went out to all applicants. They are having all of their department heads send out information emails (one each week). The first was Science a couple weeks ago and then English late last week or early this week (I can’t remember which). If you have questions or want to follow up on anything she said in the email, of course you should reach out and connect. But if you have nothing to really inquire about, don’t feel pressured that you have to respond or that it will somehow hurt your application not to respond.

If it wasn’t Emma Willard, then I can’t speak to whether it went to everyone or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s not EW but I get your point. It might be just a regular “hi I am here to help” kind of email. :grinning:

1 Like

We have been getting them from the various schools and departments as well.

2 Likes

This seems like a form letter based on your selected interest. On our applications we listed a few sports/activities/etc… and received several messages that sound similar to yours.

2 Likes

You definitely should.

some schools send those out (we def received from certain dept heads at some schools)