Pros of CC

<p>I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to CC. As a Colorado native, although CC is a great school, I would really like to get out of Colorado. Can anyone provide any pros about CC that could influence my decision?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I glanced at your "chance me" post.</p>

<p>Women's Lacrosse might be a plus for you. Sorority, if interested. Near to Denver for clothes shopping.</p>

<p>CC has a prelaw arrangement with Columbia University Law School where CC submits one student a year from the junior class who if accepted at Columbia receives a BA from CC upon graduation from law school. That means college and law school in 6 years.</p>

<p>Transportation costs will be less to visit home, but CC has a great cross section of students from all parts of the US and many foreign countries. Take a look at the CC data sets at the website.</p>

<p>If you love the mountains and skiing, you are already "in heaven." And the block arrangement gives you time to actually enjoy it.</p>

<p>My S is in his second year at CC and loves it. Oh, and you can use all those AP's (if they are 4s and 5s). S started out classified as a technical soph due to APs. It means you can "lawfully" have a car on campus your 2nd year since you are considered a junior for autos and for selection of housing.</p>

<p>My S is a freshman at CC and absolutely loves it.... but I completely understand your concern. One of the reasons he turned down Grinnell was because he wanted to get out of Iowa. Even though he preferred to leave Iowa, he still applied to Grinnell because he liked the school and as an Iowa resident and a legacy it gave him a leg up in admissions. Given the difficultly of gaining admission to highly ranked LACs he wanted to cover his bases in case he was rejected at his top choices. I would apply....you have nothing to lose. BTW, most of his friends are from the East Coast and the thing he likes the most is the laidback, friendly, diverse and outdoorsy student body. Good Luck.</p>

<p>Block plan, block plan, block plan. If this is what you want, go to CC. If not, there are dozens of great LACs outside of CO.</p>

<p>If you like the idea of the block plan and living in the mountains but still want to get out of CO, look up Quest University (actually a small LAC) in Squamish, BC, Canada (near Vancouver).</p>

<p>how is Computer science in the block plan...some say sciences suck at block plan..
bt i really like the blockplan...</p>

<p>someone plz...</p>

<p>Check out the old thread Biology Department for a discusssion of sciences at CC. <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/colorado-college/486783-biology-department.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/colorado-college/486783-biology-department.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Many questions answered here:</p>

<p>Colorado</a> College - College Reviews - The College Search - AdmissionsAdvice.com</p>

<p>bump for new consideration</p>

<p>Seems as if foreign language would be difficult to learn fluently since students can only take one course at a time & foreign languages should be studied every term to approach fluency.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Regarding foreign language:</p>

<p>I talked to a (I think junior) Spanish major about foreign language classes. She said that foreign languages on the block plan are definitely rigorous, as most classes tend to be, but doable. She said it really helps with learning the language because it's like an "immersion" experience where your entire mind is focused on the foreign language for 3 1/2 weeks. </p>

<p>Also, to maintain your language ability after a block ends, there are several options. First, you can always take an adjunct class, which meets just once a week and has minimal homework, and you get 1/4 credit for each semester. Also you can join (or even just visit and talk to people in) a language-themed house. Atleast I think those houses were at CC... the colleges tend to blur a lot...</p>

<p>But the point of this post: Foreign Language on the Block Plan is rigorous, but possible.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This was posted on another Colorado College thread a few months ago.</p>

<p>Doesn't seem like a good method to learn a foreign language; seems to be a good way to start, then it is essentially self study or pursued as an EC. My take on Colorado College--and I have visited the campus--is that the students have a great deal of free time which is used for skiing, skateboarding & relaxing.</p>