PSA...? "Good offer" or still a rejection basically??

Well I applied to a&m and didn’t get in but got offered PSA - honestly Im not sure what it is. Well I know the general basics - go to one of the schools listed pick a major listed, maintain a 3.0 GPA for a year and you get automatic admission to a&m.
But is this Sometbing people don’t want…? Like is this still bad/ not a good alternative?

Should I go to tech/ maybe utd (yeah I know…) or should I go to one the schools listed and follow through with PSA and go to a&m?
Im just wary because no one wants to accept PSA - why is it bad?

And why is it not a good opportunity for people with a lot of college credit? (Which i don’t have anyway)

But if you successfully complete the program - and you are admitted to tamu - are you treated differently at tamu because you were in PSA or are you just a normal student with no restrictions once you are admitted to tamu?

Honestly, if you REALLY want to graduate from A&M then PSA is a great option since it is a guarantee of admission as long as you maintain a 3.0 GPA. However, if you are wanting to do engineering i don’t suggest taking it since the college of engineering doesn’t participate in PSA. What’s important is you pick what option is best for you. Take tours of Tech, UTD, and TAMU and decide where you feel like you belong.

I don’t know this from personal experience since I am currently not at TAMU (hopefully will be in the fall), but I am a college student and no one cares who’s a transfer student or if people got in automatically or barely got in. Everyone is too focused on their studies and trying to enjoy the college experience. Also, no one will know you’re a PSA student unless you walk around shouting it out at people. Once you’re admitted, you’re admitted.

Don’t worry about what decisions other people are making. This is your education and college experience.

Thank you so much. Im really interested in working with animals and majoring in chemistry - which is a major PSA students can pick.

I mean… Is a&m a “good” enough school for all this extra stuff…? Is it worth the hassle and extra work - is basically what I’m asking.
I will definitely take tours and decide, thank you.

Yes.

Yes! A&M will give you numerous chances to interact with animals. There are many clubs you can choose from like Aggies for Animal Rescue, Pre-Vet Society, Aggie Guide-Dogs and Service-Dogs, and many more. If being a veterinarian is your end goal, I’d say it’s worth it.

I totally agree with @emilyKB.

I’ll expound.

I would say that PSA is for the kid who really wants to attend A&M over all other school options on that kid’s list AND for the kid who already hopes to major in one of the participating departments/colleges. If attending A&M is not necessarily towards the top of your list OR if you hope to major in something other than what is offered through one of the participating departments/colleges (like engineering, for example), then I would say that PSA may not be the best option for you.

And I think that’s why a lot of kids don’t want to accept PSA, @LifeAsWeKnowWeIt. If a kid has his heart set on engineering, for example, PSA is probably a bad plan … unless that kid’s desire to attend A&M far outweighs his desire to be an engineer. (excuse all the male pronouns – it’s just easier to pick one gender and stick with it)

Even the pertinent FAQ on the PSA webpage steers kids away from accepting PSA with the hopes of transferring into a non-participating major at the end of freshman year.

I guess another reason that some people don’t like PSA is that you will be attending one campus for one year, surrounded by one group of kids, only to move one more time to another campus (College Station) for three more years, surrounded by a whole other group of kids. Some kids find the thought of moving after one year a little more stressful and undesirable than others.

Also, if you don’t keep your gpa up, your options will be limited and the automatic transfer to TAMU is off the table.

So, I’m guessing those are the main reasons that some people are hesitant to accept PSA. There are more unknowns with PSA than if you simply accept another school on your list and begin your desired major there.

That’s not to say that PSA is a bad thing! There are people who WISH they got PSA instead of being denied admission altogether! It can really serve you well.

If you really want to be an aggie, want to major in one of the participating departments (I see that you do), feel confident that you can keep your grades up (TAMU thinks you can, or you wouldn’t have received the offer), and don’t mind moving after one year, then I would say it’s a really good option for you! :slight_smile:

As for other people knowing later on that you arrived to College Station via PSA – they won’t even know unless you tell them; and even if you tell them, nobody will care. Students arrive at College Station in all sorts of ways and I can promise you that people don’t make any distinction whatsoever. You’ll be just like the rest of the gang. So, please don’t worry about that.

Like @emilyKB said, if this is something that YOU want, then don’t worry about what other people think of PSA. Weigh all the factors – would you rather be at Tech or UTD or one of your other options, or would you rather go to A&M CS via PSA. What other students decide to do with their PSA offers is irrelevant. Right?

All my best to you, and congratulations on your PSA offer! :slight_smile:

@LifeAsWeKnowWeIt I was curious to know if you ended up doing the Psa. If so how did it go.