Purdue AP credit

I am a senior that was accepted to Purdue. I am making a chart of ap credits for each college on my list. Can someone tell me the amount of credit I can expect if I get a three? CSP, Mechanics, and Electricity and Magnetism are the exams I will take. Thanks!

Purdue website
Course numbers listed as “1XXXX” transfer as undistributed credit, which means Purdue does not have an equivalent course. Such credit appears on a Purdue student record as credit hours within the respective subject area.

College Board Advanced Placement Credit - Undergraduate Admissions - Purdue University has the information you need for Purdue.

CS principles: 5 = CS 17700, 3-4 = CS 1XXXX
Physics C mechanics: 5 = PHYS 17200, 3-4 = PHYS 1XXXX
Physics C E&M: 5 = PHYS 27200, 3-4 = PHYS 1XXXX

1XXXX will be generic credit that will not meet specific course requirements if your major or other requirements specify something like “PHYS 17200” as being required.

1 Like

As noted, if you are FYE, 3s will only give you generic credits but won’t hep you skip the class.

I believe a 3 will get undistributed credit in any of the schools (Is your major accounting/econ, as posted in the USF forum?)

These may help in priority for rooms/course selection, though usually only if you have 15 or more and are classified as a year ahead, but my D didn’t find them useful in terms of her actual plan of study.

1 Like

Thank you but I am still wondering the amount of credit I will receive. I understand that Purdue awards credit but it never stated on the website how much I will earn for a 3

Thank you! I am not FYE I’m Actuarial science in the college of science. I’m still wondering the amount of credit even though I would still need to take the course.

Office of Academic Programs says that “Students will not receive credit multiple times for repeated identical subject matter.” Granted, that is a College of Agriculture web site, but you should plan on the likelihood that if you take a college course that covers similar material as your AP course did, you will lose the AP credit.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks!!!

Just answered you on the other Purdue thread. Looks like from my D’s transcript, 3 credits each for classes that are undistributed credits. If you score a 4 or 5 and have it count for an actual Purdue course, it can 3 or 4 credits depending on the class.

2 Likes

Ah thank u!! So that would be 9 total from my three exams. Not as great compared to Miami Ohio which gives me 13 lol but better than nothing

Comparing credits between schools isn’t always helpful. Schools vary with credits needed for graduation and also for standing for priority course registration.

To repeat what’s been said - you could receive 50 credits for 3s on AP exams and it very possibly could make no difference on the courses you need to take or your timeline to graduation. Simply adding and comparing numbers isn’t a highly valuable exercise.

My D will be starting in FYE fall 2021. She took AP calculus AB during her junior year in HS and got a 5 on the AP exam. Senior year of HS she took Multivariable Calc since her HS does not allow students to take AP Calc BC if they have already taken AB. She got an A in this course. Her advisor at Purdue said the choice of her first calc course there was up to her and if she wanted a review to retake calc 1, so my D decided to go with MA165 (engineering Calc 1) for her first semester. Is this the best way to go or should she go right into a calc 2 class (which is supposed to be very rigorous)?

If she can try old MA165 final exams, she can test her knowledge with them to make a better informed placement decision about whether to skip or repeat that material.

https://www.math.purdue.edu/academic/courses/oldexams.php

Was multivariable calculus that she took a high school or college course?

1 Like

HS course, she felt the instructor was not thorough, though. She also took AP physics C, I think it is called, mechanics and E&M with calculus which she did well in but we don’t know AP scores yet. I think she asked the purdue advisor about taking the 5 credit Calc 2 (MA162) but the advisor said that would give too many credits overall for her 1st semester there, which I don’t really understand since it is just 1 credit more than she is planning and it would just be an additional math recitation.

I agree with ucbalumnus to have your daughter look at the old Purdue calc exams. My D’s advisor told her if she was scoring over 80% on the finals that she could feel comfortable going into the next class.

FWIW, my D started with the 5 credit Calc II course and it was fine. She appreciated having the second recitation and it wasn’t an issue with her course scheduling or load.

My D didn’t have the option of placing out of Physics because it was integrated into her honors design course. That said, I’d be leery of using AP credit to place out of Purdue physics because it’s so foundational but again, your D could look at old exams.

1 Like

Recommendation is the same: trying the old MA165 (and MA161) exams will let her make a more informed placement decision.

It looks like the MA161-MA162 sequence is for students taking calculus the first time, while the MA165-MA166 sequence is for students repeating high school calculus (because they did not earn a high enough AP score or whatever*), but they are otherwise equivalent for fulfilling requirements for FYE.

*AP calculus AB score of 4 can fulfill MA165, and AP calculus BC score of 4 can fulfill MA165 and MA166.

1 Like

If you ask the kids who have sat through any Calc class at Purdue they tell you to skip all you can. Do some searches.

There will be a lot of kids in the same boat, I assume.

1 Like

Thanks! Do you think MA165 would be unnecessary as a review if she can do well on the old exams? She is planning to retake the physics at Purdue regardless of her AP score. It is the calc she was uncertain about, she has heard about the Purdue math rigor.

Yep - thanks, I’ll tell her to take a look and try all the exams