Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Can you please clarify? Do you mean she was not accepted? Do you mind sharing her Stats? Do you happen to know how many applicants and how many they accepted this year?

It seems like a lot of kids with very high Stats got accepted to Purdue. Why Purdue? Any one of these kids could literally get accepted to Ivies? Also on the Common Data Set for 2021-2022 the 75th percentile is like 1430. I saw a bunch of high 1500’s and even perfect SAT/ACT score. Can anyone make sense of this?

Two Words: Holistic Review
That is my best guess.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you are asking. Why wouldn’t Purdue accept the strongest students from their applicant pool?

Also, the CDS doesn’t separate out scores by intended major. Scores and GPA skew higher for CS and Engineering. They’ve been moving up for years.

If you are asking why high stat students weren’t accepted, the answer is that it is a holistic review and they are trying to balance a class. It isn’t personal.

3 Likes

How selective is Krannert? I saw in a few sites that it’s acceptance rate is 71% but that’s so high. Is it true?

Schools do not seem to be emphasizing tests any more. So many are test optional that kids are applying to schools they may not have gotten into in the past because they do not have to submit test scores - and lots are getting accepted. My son scored 1560 on the SAT and was deferred at three schools and has been rejected at every “reach” and “target” school so far. He’s even being deferred at “safety” schools. He has a 3.95 GPA and lots of ECs to boot. Its a crazy admissions season.

Unfortunately that’s the reality as the admission process is a black box and no one knows how they select.

On a different note, typically, how many schools does each student apply to? 5, 10, 15?

I believe your S22 is in at Rose. Right? In that case, he is still in great shape. What targets and safeties did he apply? His stats are impressive.

6 years ago, our older daughter applied to 6 schools for Engineering. She was accepted to all 6 and graduated from UF in Civil Engineering. She is doing extremely well. Younger daughter applied to 9 schools for Engineering and has been accepted to 6 of 6 schools including Purdue and Rose-Hulman among them. Waiting on the last 3 here over the next month. Surprisingly, there were substantive reasons for applying to each.

1 Like

Can you elaborate which major? With those stats he should get into every major except perhaps CS in T20 universities where there are more applicants than slots?

S2 applied to 8. There were good reasons for 7 of them…the final one was a bit of a puzzler, to me.
1 match…applied and accepted early, so no safety needed
2 reachy matches
1 outlier that is a slight reach.
4 reach’s.

1 Like

Thanks. Because of yield protection, demographic shaping concerns and largely because this is the 1st time we are going thro this process, my son applied to 15 schools. Maybe we went overboard with this, looking back, but only time will tell

He applied to seven schools for MechE. Here are the results, so far:

Pitt (safety) - accepted
MSU (safety) - accepted
Rose Hulman Institute of Technology (target) - accepted
Case Western Reserve (target) - accepted
Purdue (target) - accepted
UofM (slight reach) - notifications end of January
Carnegie Mellon (super, long, divine intervention required reach) - notifications April 1

6 Likes

A good group of freshman guys this year are going to Hillenbrand sophomore year. It’s good to join the learning community where ever you go.

1 Like

They thought he was using them as a safety - yield protection

Engineering at each school

That’s an impressive run. Good luck on UMich. CMU is tough for everyone but I think he is in with a shot.

These strong students can apply and get accepted to much better Universities, such as, MIT, Caltech, Cal Berkeley, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, or any of the Ivies. Purdue is like in the middle of nowhere…

It really depends on whether you are doing private or public. They have very different approaches. In fact each school should be dealt with differently. For the privates, especially for the ivys, you need to show a significant humanities footprint apart from your STEM profile. Essays are immensely important, and essays are usually not about your STEM profile.

3 Likes

At this level test scores and grades are not important. They are taken for granted. Necessary but not sufficient.

2 Likes