Purdue for undergraduates

Hi my son has got in… It was his EA… would like to know aboutthe university from those who are studying there

My daughter is a freshman in the CoE. She’s having an amazing experience, academically and socially. We’ve been totally impressed with the academic supports, prof involvement, career services, and opportunities provided to students. She works very hard but is having a blast.

Let me know if you have specific questions!

Thanks!

@momofsenior1 My daughter will be a freshman CoE as well, and we are OOS so this is great to hear! What did your daughter consider for housing options - and what did she ultimately go with?

@coffeemomCO My son is also a FYE and I can echo @momofsenior1 sentiments. As for housing, Freshman really only have two options that they are likely to receive double with a/c or double without a/c. For us the decision came down to location. The doubles without a/c are closer to the engineering buildings, football and basketball arenas and two great dining halls (Ford and Wiley). The doubles with air are a bit of a hike. So we went without air figuring he’d rather be uncomfortable in August and the first half of September than have to schlep through the cold all winter. PM me if you want more insight.

@coffeemomCO My daughter is in honors college and lives in one of the honors residences. Next year she will be in Windsor.

You don’t pick your building as a freshman, but request room type as @NJEngDad noted. So Double with or without A/C, triple, quad, etc…

Thank you both! @momofsenior1 and @NJEngDad ! Good info. Waiting to hear about honors : ) Thanks so much!

Thanks

My D is a sophomore in MechE and loves it. It’s certainly challenging, but it should be. Don’t worry much about housing - probably stuck in Earhardt/Shreve/etc. and go through the typical Freshman shoebox room layout. There will be many more options in future years.

The number of support options to help students succeed are tremendous - that’s what attracted us as parents. The gym is great and there are >1,000 organization to keep busy/get involved outside of the classroom. Food is also a big plus. If you’re from the South, the weather might be a bit of a shock (-17 one morning during the cold snap, and -10 the next morning when classes weren’t canceled).

Tuition freeze was just extended through 20-21, so my D will be the 6th straight class to never see a cost increase. That’s allowed them to attract more students, which drives more revenue and generates more research funding, which allows them to keep tuition costs frozen, …