Purdue pre-med

Does anyone have insights on Purdue from a pre-med perspective?

daughter is admitted to genetic biology program
36 act,
4.4 gpa,
nmsf, etc

We are so torn— she really likes Purdue the best overall- I think her heart is there- but she’s also considering

1. University of Cincinnati medical sciences--lots of research/shadowing/mentoring built in (and she has a full ride)
  2. Ohio State Neurology/pre-med track (suuuuper affordable)
  3. Case Western biology (got a nice scholarship) (also waiting on WashU and Northwestern.... but these are crazy price-wise, so we are kind of ignoring them!)

I’m also interested in this question for my daughter. Do you have an update for us about where your daughter is leaning?

Purdue is probably better known for Engineering plus there is no medical school associated with it.

The other 3 schools all have medical schools and will afford good opportunities. Case has the prestige factor as well as Cleveland Clinic nearby. Plus I have heard that it’s less of a pressure cooker than most of its peers (WashU is pretty well known for its so-called weeder classes in Chemistry and heard some not so flattering stories about the intro Bio sequence from my son).

All good choices and I would flip a coin or spend some time visiting the schools to see best fit.

My daughters roommate is premed and seems to be loving the program. She’s already started doing research as a freshmen.

Premed advising seems solid too.

You may want to look at their placement rate to med schools though.

FWIW my son chose to go elsewhere for Pre med - his college is less expensive than Purdue was and has a medical school. I had a hard time paying full freight for a college not known for medicine. I would have encouraged him to go there if he was interested in engineering though.