Purdue Student Spring 2023 Update [Serious Topic]

Good afternoon, everyone,

I am aware that I have not posted threads in a long time so some of you probably forgotten about me. Anyways, I have a “bad” confession to make and I am going straight to the point this time. I am dropping out of college & starting trade school this summer.

I thought about this decision long and hard for months but making this decision was not easy. I spoke with my scholarship donors, and I get a five-year grace period from the state of Indiana to return to Purdue University if I decide to continue my postsecondary education. (January or August 2028 is the deadline for me to return to Purdue) The five year grace period puts everything on HOLD like transcripts, class scheduling, financial aid, etc.

Factors that contributed to making this decision include severe mental health issues, previous events in my life that occurred not too long ago, and last but not least burnout from school in general.

My whole life I’ve been programmed that school was the only way to success and felt like all of my creativity, long term happiness, and childhood was robbed in front of my eyes and never realized it until early young adulthood.

I do have a long-term plan that better interests me and consider it to be less mentally stressful than college. Due to writing this blog online for the whole world to see this, I cannot disclose a lot of information because I do not prefer telling people too much of my business due to the increasing jealousy, hate, and deception in modern day society.

I have told a FEW family members, friends, and acquaintances about my decision. Most of those people tried to talk negative about my life and choices made but I do not care.

This is my last semester of college. I recently lost a significant amount of motivation and effort into my schoolwork and my performance is declining at an all-time low compared to my experience with education before Purdue University.

I am also aware of the consequences that MIGHT happen when Purdue is not apart of my everyday life after this semester and willing to take a risk and not scared to do so.

I would like to acknowledge all of the random strangers on this website who view and comment helpful statements to improve my quality of life. You are more than welcomed to provide any feedback, questions, whatever!

I hope that trade school works out for you and you are able to get support for your mental health. Nothing is more important than your health. Purdue will be still be there if you change your mind down the road.

Hugs to you and thank you for the update.

1 Like

I have a Masters degree - and no skills. Not sure I can change a light bulb - OK, I probably can do that.

So you’ll have me beat!!!

I hope you find the life that you want - that’s really the most important thing.

PS - there’s a shortage of diesel technicians - if that interests you - and they make a lot of money!!

Best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do in your next stage.

I hope you find something you love!!

Thank you for letting us know how you are doing. I have actually thought about you numerous times since you stopped posting, and have sent good thoughts your way.

Wishing you all the best as you move forward through life.

I’m new to this site but it’s cool to see a broad range of topics like this, and even though this site is focused on college there’s obviously nothing wrong with pursuing a different direction. If you’re motivated, I think it’s the right move! Good luck!