Purdue University Class of 2021 Scholarships

I was just wondering so if a scholarship is funded with donations…where does that money go if not awarded? Seems silly to me to award the next year why not just give to the next person who would probably really appreciate it now vs. later and if they only gave to those who accepted then all who wanted would get them. So 10 kids who never had any intention of going or viewed it as a safety school pass and those 10 kids who now have to pass on Purdue as their dream due to hardship…just kinda bums me out.

I’m an in state applicant, and I did receive the presidential scholarship for $4,000 each year (which I was disappointed with until I saw this thread). I recently visited Purdue, and I heard multiple times that scholarships are not solely based on test scores. They account for activities and the “well-roundedness” of the applicant.
ACT:33
GPA:4.9

@Abbybearf I don’t know about others but I can definitely say in my daughter case, they did look at everything else not just her test scores or GPA. Her test scores or GPA ( act 32, GPA 4.36) wasn’t as good as your or other students from her school.She was in involved in lot of leadership activities all year around since 8th grade. I used to think she is doing too much but now I am glad she did and she is still doing. There are bunch of other smart kids from her school are accepted to Purdue but she is probably the only one got scholarship offer.

@Abbybearf Presidential Scholarships, of which there are approx. 830 annually, are $2,000 - $8,000 In-State and $5,000 - $10,000 OOS. Congratulations to the scholarship, which is right at Presidential IS mid-point.

@Banker1 Congratulations. Yes, we are IS Purdue and are therefore facing the same OOS FA issue with other public universities. Best of luck!

I just got into the exploratory studies. I’m undecided of what type of engineer to be so I decided to go into that college. I did get deferred from the engineering college though. Is this a good program if I want to switch to engineering later? I was going to join one of the polytech program, but one of the counselor suggested me to exploratory studies till I figure out what I want to do.

I’m also a Minnesota resident.

@wallowa yes Purdue engineering (mechanical) is in the top 10 in the nation. First year (FYE) students take many of same courses then start their specialty programs year two. @Banker1 the discrepancy given by Purdues website, dept of admissions, and the colleges is why people are confused about the merit process. We’ve heard now 9% up to 15% receive merit. We are IS but honestly my D has more generous scholarships OOS to bring it below Purdues COA.

Out of state here and I guess didn’t realize that in order to be considered for most merit aid, you needed apply by November 1 which is listed as a firm date. Darn it.