Purdue vs Purdue Fort Wayne

So,
DD and family are thinking about a variety of schools still, but there are 2 really great competitors: Purdue and Purdue Fort Wayne. DD is basically an undecided major.

If she goes to PFW and lives at home, she could do the entire degree for 16k (with scholarship) -vs- 16k per year for Purdue West Lafayette.

Sometimes PFW seems like a no-brainer (especially due to cost), other times we wonder if the added opportunities / prestige of Purdue (Wes Lafayette) are going to be better for her.
But worth 4 times the price - - tough to say?
I’d appreciate any thoughts - - thanks!

Could she go to PFW for two years and get her GenEds done while figuring out her intended major and then transfer?

Yes, that is definitely a possibility. She does have a pres scholarship to Purdue, so I don’t think that would still be hanging around in two years. So, that’s another thing to consider - - the availability of scholarships if she does transfer.

She is also got into Honors College at Purdue WL. She also likes the opportunities at Exploratory Studies.

There’re definitely pros and cons. For example, living at home and attending college is a very different experience from living on campus. Does your D have a strong preference?

From what I can tell, being admitted to the Honors College is a wonderful benefit. I have heard some complaints about spotty advising from parents of students enrolled in the Exploratory Studies program (on the parents facebook page) but I get the impression that the Honors program offers more support and resources. Plus nicer dorms and priority registration.

It really depends on your financial ability to pay for the difference. We are conservative about loans and are hoping to get two kids through college without saddling them with debt after graduation. Others approach the issue differently, and it’s up to each family to decide what they are comfortable with. Financial aid can tell you whether transfer students are eligible for merit awards. I will note that PWL is very liberal about accepting AP credit, so depending on her HS curriculum and eventual declared major, she may be able to graduate early (reducing overall costs).

Honestly, if you can swing it, I would definitely chose Purdue main campus. Purdue is a great university and she will have a lifetime experience living on campus in WL. Unfortunately, Purdue has largely ignored its regional campuses for many years. Fort Wayne is going through many challenges and I would not recommend it.