Purdue vs. RHIT

<p>Hey guys! I've got to make a tough decision and wanted to see what you thought.
I will be posting this to the RHIT page as well.</p>

<p>I'm thinking that I will be an EE/CE, and I'm trying to decide between
Purdue and Rose-Hulman. Ignore price as a factor right now, I want to concentrate
on issues such as environment, job placement, and how people feel going in and
coming out of each.</p>

<p>What do you guys think?</p>

<p>I think this is the classic small school vs. large school debate. Do you want to be surrounded by 30,000+ students of varying majors, or do you want to be surrounded by about 1500 techies? </p>

<p>They are both top-notch schools for engineering. If you do well at either, you will be successful.</p>

<p>Hey! I applied to both RHIT and Purdue, but found that Rose felt like high school to me. Connected buildings, bell schedule, small student population. Also, ask yourself if you want to make friends with people from many different majors and interests, or if only being with engineers and the like is fine with you. </p>

<p>As far as job placement, Purdue’s is top-notch. However, I can’t speak for RHIT but if you work hard your engineering degree will get you a good job regardless of which school it is from. </p>

<p>So, as desilu stated it’s mostly big vs. small. Are the huge classes and possibly impersonal relationships with professors worth the large array of opportunities at Purdue? For me, yes. For you, maybe not. It’s all about personal preferences. Both are great schools.</p>

<p>We have a close friend, whose son is a junior at RHIT. Yes, he loves it and is getting a great education, but he had to really work hard at finding internships, it did not seem like they assisted him at all in this area. We are sending our D to Purdue in the fall, and one of the main reasons is the career services available, plus, the co-op, internship connections at Purdue. I agree with banana pancakes22. Another parent said it perfectly, you cannot make a small school larger, but you can make a large school smaller-by your choices of activities, etc. Good luck!</p>

<p>Employers travel to and recruit from colleges that yield significant numbers of top quality graduates. I believe big schools have an advantage in this area. RHIT is probably an exception. The environments could not be any more different. One visit to RHIT will make that obvious. My impressions of RHIT from a visit was they were nothing but substance. I doubt you could get a better undergraduate engineering education. Purdue has more opportunities and resources than you could list here. Though, you will have to work a little harder to find them. Evaluate your cost.</p>