Purdue vs UIUC: Engineering

<p>Hi, I know I've waited a bit too long to ask for help but I need some fast and was hoping you guys would have some answers. With only 2 weeks left til May 1st I still have no idea where to do. I have it narrowed down to Purdue University in West Lafayette and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.</p>

<p>In the application process I applied to the electrical engineering programs at both schools and was accepted, however I am not too confident that electrical engineering is what I am going to stick with. I am planning on staying in Engineering but I may or may not change subsets (I'm not sure).</p>

<p>I am interested in Aerospace engineering however the smallness, for lack of a better word, of the field scares me in terms of job opportunities leaving college. </p>

<p>If I go to UIUC I am considering doing a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering and a Masters in Aerospace in a 5 Year program. </p>

<p>The problem occurs where if I go to Purdue because it has a better Aerospace Engineering program I lose the breadth and opportunity that comes with the Bachelors/Masters Program at UIUC.</p>

<p>So here I'll make a pros and con list to help me clarify my thoughts and hopefully you can help me with this; tell me the good and the bad about each school.</p>

<p>Purdue:
Pros -
Better Aerospace program
ability to change within engineering (however almost all engineering disciplines besides aerospace are worse than their UIUC counterpart)
Cons -
About $10 grand a year more
almost all engineering disciplines besides aerospace are worse than their UIUC counterpart if I decide to not stick with Aerospace</p>

<p>UIUC:
Pros -
Highly ranked Electrical Engineering Program
Bachelor/ Master combo in EE/ Aero in 5 years
$10 grand a year cheaper
In-state (although both are about the same distance)
cons -
Incredibly difficult to change into certain disciplines within engineering (mechanical, material and biomedical)
A little bit less nice aesthetically than Purdue (but that doesn't matter as much to me being a guy)</p>

<p>Does anyone have any insight or advice for me? Any help is appreciated</p>

<p>illinois is a no-brainer in your situation. great school and less expensive – it’s the miller beer for your college choice.</p>

<p>Illinois!!!</p>

<p>We took our daughter on a campus visit of UIUC this past Fall, and they specifically told us that you have to be accepted into their bioengineering program as a Freshman. They do not accept transfers into that specific major, either from other schools or other majors at UIUC. We asked about it because our daughter is interested in biomedical engineering/bioengineering. We also took her on a campus visit of Purdue, and there you are accepted into the engineering program as a Freshman, and then after Freshman year, you apply to specific majors w/in the school of engineering. The higher your GPA, the more likely you are to get into the engineering major that you want.</p>

<p>I think both Purdue and UIUC both have beautiful campuses. My husband and I graduated from Purdue (my husband was a civil engineering major), and I hate to say this, but I actually think UIUC has a little bit prettier campus. Purdue is very unified looking in that all the buildings are made of the same red brick; however, I like the look of UIUC because there is some diversity between the looks of the buildings.</p>

<p>Both of these are very good schools. Good luck in your decision!</p>