Question about SPS humanities course

so I’d ask this in my interview but my interview’s already over so.
to anyone here going to / knows someone going to SPS,
how does the humanity classes work / how are they different from normal english/history classes? (because they’re 2 credits instead of 1 credit per term so I got the idea that maybe it’s more coursework or more important or something)

From what I learned on my tour it’s basically English, but all your readings are going to be history based.

ahh ok the combination sounds funner than english itself

So the SPS humanities is one of the things we loved most about the school! It’s an integrated curriculum of history and English, and it sounded dreamy to me. So basically a double class because it was English + history mashed up into an integrated course. My daughter ended up not going to SPS for other reasons. BUT – I fell so in love with their humanities curriculum that I looked it up online and used it as a basis for my own curriculum for my (another/non BS) daughter, whom I was homeschooling because she was a ballerina. Anyway, all that to say, at least three years ago, there was lots of detailed info available online…I think I googled something like SPS humanities syllabus or something along those lines. Side note: Hotchkiss has another humanities approach that I loved.

That’s exactly what my sons’ public high school did and it was great. It really helped the students understand what was happening at the time certain works were written and they could better appreciate how it reflected “current” events (of the time). Great way to approach literature and history in my opinion!