Question about Syracuse

Can you tell me more about the type of student who goes to Syracuse for sports managment? Very competitive types? All or most athletes? My son is interested. How competitive is admission versus the general 67% or so for Syracuse as a whole?

Have your student arrange a meeting with a student ambassador.

Here’s the profiles they publish.

Pre-COVID, it was 7-10% (7% for sports analytics and around 10% for management), so very competitive. It was likely less for the classes of 2021 and 2022. My son visited in person, attended some Falk sessions remotely, and had a stellar GPA and SAT/ACT scores. Didn’t get in. It was shocking, but class of 2021 was a cluster-youknowwhat when it came to applications/acceptances. Scholarship money was apparently pretty weak that year also, based on those who got in, so it’s for the best.

He is at Miami (Ohio) and LOVES it. Solid program with special study abroad opportunities for sports management. Great outcomes and cheaper.

If he is interested in other solid programs, check out UMass Amherst, Loyola Chicago, UMich, and Rice. Sports management is tricky. You gotta look at curriculum to get a feel of the type of program and to know if it’s geared toward what your student wants to do. Some are more coaching/athletic director, some are recreation management, and some are more business/professional management.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Thank you! Can I ask what his scores were? What was his weighted/unweighted GPA? Did he have any extracurriculars showing an interest in sports management? Where did you get the 10% number?

Thanks for the idea. To meet to learn more about the program? Or does that somehow help with admissions? Thanks.

Read your first post. My response directly answers your question.

This thread might be helpful which includes posts about SU’s Sport management program:

strong text

Also, SU’s Sports Management webpage mentions students beginning to prepare for their careers starting in high school:

“What can you do now to prepare?

Because the sport management industry is extremely competitive, many students begin building their portfolios with related internship and volunteer experience as early as high school. Students interested in sport management find it helpful to supplement their classes with the following hands-on experience:

• Participate in sports organizations and clubs, or assist through volunteer work with events or clinics.
  • Help administer youth sports camps and clinics.
  • Volunteer for school, professional, or amateur sports teams, camps, clinics, and events such as road races, triathlons, and golf tournaments.
  • Help with the development and organization of community sporting events and fundraisers.”
2 Likes

Did you ever get a response to where the 10% number comes form? Doesn’t sound right to me. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.