Question about "yield protection"

congratulation to your DS !

1 Like

Don’t take it personally. You were deferred, not rejected. Many schools do this. And you don’t know why she was deferred. Maybe they have too many from your region or too many in the major.

You planned right. You have awesome other options.

You may still get in.

On the other hand, it’s ok to love the ones that love you back.

4 Likes

true

Last year by daughter applied to UNC Chapel Hill…: she was rejected in EA (she only applied because they had a scholarship she wanted to be considered for). Her stats etc were way above (according to Naviance no one with her stats had even applied from her HS before; the couple that were close were accepted but did not attend). Two other girls from her class with considerably lower stats, course rigor, ECs etc were accepted, and both are now attending. I would call this yield control. Historically students from our HS with similar profiles to my daughter were being accepted but not attending, so last year UNC accepted the applicants that were more likely to attend.

3 Likes

It is possible that in their judgment, your daughter may be unhappy at NEU. Wouldn’t fit in there. Because they may think that she is well above the standard of the enrolling class, and would be unhappy at NEU.

Can I presume it was the Morehead-Cain?

It is possible . However, she herself personally, was really considering NEU.

DD 22 waitlisted at UNC this year. OOS. I think she has all qualifications for admission to state school. But , I think OOS candidates are not a majority in UNC , and univeristy favors in state students . But, who knows…

I don’t remember the name, but probably.

1 Like

Yes, they do accept most more in-state students, but seemingly play yield control with OOS applicants. And they were right, my daughter wouldn’t have attended.

2 Likes

Is it a good school? I have no idea. I was reluctant to consider it over Rutgers (our instate) for my son. He didn’t even apply. Maybe it’s good.

Northeastern is a very good private university with the top of the line coop program that offers guaranteed paid internships.

1 Like

UNC ( University of North Carolina Chapel hill )is on of the best public universities in the country . I think its sranked in the top 5. Very well known for the sciences .

2 Likes

The UNC Board of Governors has capped OOS at less than 18%. Schools are charged penalties if they enroll more than 18% OOS students.

3 Likes

I read the posting that mentions “little Susie and Johnny” as being somewhat hostile to our literal future. It simultaneously lets schools, which operate as businesses and hedge funds instead of nonprofits with a mission of serving Susie and Johnny, off the hook. And the examples cited struck me as non-analogous. No clumsy, overweight person tries out or expects to get into the Bolshoi Ballet, and no one expects for Head Start to cater to the elderly. These nonprofits and their mission statements are sufficiently transparent and efficient. But some kid with perfect test scores and gpa, rigorous classes, service, strong essays and recommendations and all the other boxes checked, may expect to get into a first, second or third tier school without being yield protected. Yield protection is not inline with the mission statements of these nonprofits. On a différent point, what is so wrong with being a backup school to Harvard? I don’t see why that creates a problem for a nonprofit with a mission statement geared toward educating our youth. I may be too naive but it seems to me these schools that are practicing yield protection could do better by our best and brightest. Just my opinion. I hope I’m not insulting anyone.

2 Likes

Is there a single instance of such a kid NOT getting into a first tier school? I don’t think so. It might not be Harvard or Yale, and it might be Northwestern and not U Chicago. But the kids who are getting “locked out” due to yield protection DO NOT end up stocking shelves at Kroger during the day and doing night school at some fly-by-night college. They end up at a similar/comparable U and do just fine.

You are trading in hyperbole. Can you cite an example of a single kid with the stats you describe who ended up at a third tier college? If so, it was a rational choice of said kid- full scholarship, close to home, a specific program. All good reasons. But this kid we’re talking about does not end up at Framingham State because with his perfect application he got “yield protected” at all the tier one schools he applied to. Doesn’t happen. Top tier is a big category with lots of colleges that don’t worry about yield. And it includes an entire category of public flagships universities- which will have a preference for kids from their own state (which you can surely appreciate) but are most definitely NOT excluding out of state kids with the stats you describe. Except for Berkeley. God knows how anyone gets into Berkeley!!!

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that I’m trading in hyperbole. My first is applying to colleges now so I’m a neophyte wishing for the best for everyone’s kids and harm for none!

4 Likes

agree, totally.

it not a hyperbole.
this is facts. D22 diferred c]Case western , NEU, waitlisted UNC CH. All EA.
Accepted to all her safties with honor colleges offers and merits.
She is 2 from the 200 students , possible valodictorian. 4.5/4.0 GPA , all honors , 8 APs, all STEM and english /lit.
SAT 1540 , Math 790, Eng 750. Published research at faculty reviewed journal - did a literature review article. Summer Internship at psych clinic with an exellent rec letter. president of NHS, and president at NH science, organized bio club at school, many other clubs participation, volonteering at the nursing home, drama club at school all 4 years , participated in all 4 productions. Took community college course with an A , psychology during summer. What is this, like not a yeild protecton? NEU and Case western are notorius for those practices. And yes, for her this situation fills like stocking shelves in Kroger. She worked so hard all 4 years. She got admitted to Mcgill in Canada , but its puzzling to me that she could not get a single offer at the top 50 schools in US . She did apply RD to some other top schools , but am not holding my breath for anything any more. NEU offered admission to a few stidents at her school with much lesser academic standing.

3 Likes

Unless she applied to all 50, this is an exaggeration.

You DS sounds like the “average excellence” student talked about on this website often. Unless their State Flagship is a top 50, nothing is guaranteed for this population. There are just too many of them.

4 Likes