Question about "yield protection"

I think waiting for something that is completely out of one’s control and that impacts someone you love most in the world is very hard. As a result, we may all be getting a bit loopy.

1 Like

Is your daughter applying to any of the T20 that don’t typically practice yield protection?

Are you saying that I may be loopy because I am saying that some of those schools are “safe”? :-). That’s ok. There is truth to what I said.

No I’m not calling you loopy. I’m calling me and other parents anxious about yield protection as potentially loopy. Your post was helpful. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. I was just joking. The concern is legitimate because there is yield protection. Most parents are not loopy. They are very in the moment and understand the whole situation. The top publics are usually safe for a top student.

1 Like

Mine did apply to schools on that list, namely, CMU, Cornell and MIT……so who knows! Of course, I’m now in love with the idea of the state flagship!

2 Likes

I shouldn’t call anyone loopy. I’m just saying it is hard to wait.

I would venture that Cornell may be safer than CMU because it is less likely to practice yield protection. I heard that Cornell has been incredibly competitive this cycle though, for EA. When my older kid was applying a few years ago for CS, he preferred Cornell to CMU for CS because he felt that Cornell is a saner place even though the department at CMU was ranked better. There is relatively more of a stress culture at CMU.

in general -its much harder to cheat on SAT than for some on to write your essay , or invent an extra curricular . If a student has good rigor classes and good GPA coupled with great SAT scores - it should paint a good picture of a prospective student.

2 Likes

My kiddo is not interested in computer science so that should help.

2 Likes

That will definitely help.

yes , RD . Dont hold my breath thought ))).

UT should not be considered safe for any student not Auto Admit. Also as an Auto Admit you may not get your major. I would say it is a difficult admit for out of state students.

2 Likes

I am surprised by your apparent cynicism given your kids credentials and your confidence in the quality of her application once yield protection is removed from the equation.

1 Like

I am saying that if you consider yourself tippy top, and if you are correct about it, you should consider UT safe for STEM even for an out of stater. I am making a carefully qualified statement :-).

I am sort of relived that my D’s only safeties are UC

I had never questioned T20 schools competition.

I am pulling for your kid she sounds entirely deserving!! Keep the faith.

If she is getting “yield protected” it means the professionals at those schools think she will get offers from a higher tier.

Thank you for the list- he did apply to about half of those- while he is still at the top of their metrics, those schools are mostly small and are in the crosshairs of every high performer so those we understood to be long shots. We have no legacy, no hooks, other than my son being really talented in his stem field, has patents, etc.

He also does many relevant strong ECs (athletic, technical) but we treated that section like it was going to be audited. I think we were lambs to slaughter with that approach. Maybe we will have better luck at the metrics-based schools but at least he is in at some safeties at this point.

1 Like

I wish your student the very best. You would normally know where you would get in based on what the past track record of your school is at the college that you are interested in. Usually people don’t include this variable when presenting stats here. This is an important variable, because it tells you what the college thinks the rigor is at your school.

4 Likes