Question about "yield protection"

I will hope for the very best for your student !!!

1 Like

I wish him the best. When I say metrics based I don’t mean just GPA/SAT. I also mean any external validation of his ability, research, patents, competitions, TAing in the subject of his interest, dual enrollment courses, reccs, your school’s record at these colleges etc – you will have a strong sense. There shouldn’t be any surprises if you present yourself well.

Here is an anecdote to argue why things are not a crap shoot. Last year my friend’s daughter applied to a T5 school in the humanities EA. Got deferred. The humanities part is important to note because there is more fuzziness in student quality on the humanities side, arguably. She panicked and applied to some 24 schools, including a lot of T5s. She got into 23 of them. No surprises. No randomness.

Good enough? Good enough? Your daughter rocks.

5 Likes

She likes the schools she applied and considered attending them for a few reasons . We will never know what AO think at those schools … for sure

Good luck to
Your DD22! She sounds amazing !

Private school she is in has a good track record . Not the best but good . Last year top
students got into Princeton, Tufts , Georgia tech , northeastern , BU , CWRU, Boston college to name a few .

1 Like

Thank you, wish the best for your DD too.

May I ask what are the schools remaining for RD?

Tufts, Cornell .

Definitely her application is good enough for Tufts. They need to be convinced that you will join if you are offered. This convincing needs to happen in the essay. I think the chances are good – as in >60%. Frankly Cornell may be easier.

1 Like

It’s hard to judge the essay , I am
Biased . She was specific about “
Why tufts “. ))). Interview went well she thinks . Alumni was very young and they could
Relate .

2 Likes

I wouldn’t assume STEM at Cornell to be more numerical and relatively easier for a student with high stats than generally less selective colleges like Tufts. For example, you mentioned STEM, so I assume this includes Cornell engineering. Prior to COVID, Cornell engineering had a 6% admit rate for males (female admit rate is much higher). I expect it would be much lower today. Pre-COVID scattergrams at the time suggested a poor correlation between Cornell admission decisions and test scores compared to other highly selective colleges. If anything Cornell appears to place a greater emphasis on non-stat factors than typical for other highly selective colleges.

1 Like

Both schools are highly competitive . I am cautiously pessimistic :sweat_smile:.

You cling to “yield-protection” to avoid the realization that your child may not be as special as you think. He’s not being “yield-protected” if he’s being rejected. That means that he simply is not up to that schools standards. Maybe his essays were bland, or he cruised by without getting involved. The list goes on…

1 Like

I don’t think it’s fair to assume that , because we don’t know.

I absolutely laughed out loud at this one. Really funny and good story to tell. Thanks for the levity, let’s hope my son finds that magic happen. I will say this thread is really one of the best - very supportive and constructive group of people. Thanks for the help and wishing you all lots of acceptances and happy kids in the future.

2 Likes

Lots of assumptions are made on this site, and numerous have come straight from you. Interesting that you call Northeastern a “disgrace” for not accepting your perfect D. Unfortunately, your D does sound like “average excellence” and I wouldn’t expect any more T30 offers based solely off admission to McGill.

1 Like

well I spoke too soon. LOL. there is always one ready to explain why my kid is not great rather than question the process.

Wow! Correct! There is always one ready to question the entire process rather than admit their kid is not that great.

The problem is everyone’s great kids are all applying to the same schools, hence why they are so competitive. There is no need to disparage students (or their parents).

Schools are trying to balance their class the way they see fit. The best thing we can tell students is to not take it personally. Their hard work will serve them well wherever they land for school and beyond.

11 Likes