Questions about Purdue Engineering

<p>I have been admitted to Purdue's engineering school. I plan to major in Chem E or Mechanical Engineering. How hard is the program, is it tough to get good grades? Is there help available if you need it? Also are there reseach opportunities for undergraduates? as I want to go to graduate school later on. Is there a lot of recruiting for the engineering grads or has it slowed down because of outsourcing?</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>This board is so dead.......bump. Anyone know for sure they're going to Purdue? I am stuck between UIUC or Purdue, which is better for engineering?</p>

<p>My son has several friends at Purdue in Engineering (I agree, this board is dead). Every single one of them likes it there. I would imagine that the eng dept at Purdue is as tough as any other as it is ABET accreditted and well-known in this part of the country for its outstanding Eng. programs.</p>

<p>I can't answer the research question but they have a wonderful co-op program where you get paid and alternate between work and school each semester. They also have a neat study/work abroad program called GEARE.</p>

<p>As far as outsourcing? I don't know...but again, Purdue has a great reputation for its engineering. The only negatives I know of are the size of the school itself (near 40G) and the class sizes in some of your basic courses. As far as how it rates with UIUC I can't help there, sorry!</p>

<p>of the people i've talked to, uiuc has the better reputation, because it's a bit stronger of a university overall. I chose purdue over uiuc because after visiting both campuses, i just felt more comfortable at purdue. i'm not sure why, but that was just me. so if you're stuck between the two, visit the campuses. as for how hard is it... i've heard from a few engineering students there that you have to work hard, but getting As and Bs is doable, unlike places like gatech where it's near impossible. for finding help, i hear that help is readily available, but you have to look for it; help won't come to you. Professors are supposedly very willing to help, there are also a few tutoring programs on campus. There is research opportunity for undergrads, on the website they have a list of projects the professors are currently working on. I'm not sure how you go about getting involved with it, but i'm pretty sure you can if you talk to the right people. As for going to grad school, not sure about that, but i know a few alumni who got their undergrad at purdue and went on to grad school, but this all happened a couple decades ago, so i wouldn't think much of it. overall, if you want to go to purdue for engineering, the feeling i've gotten is that you have to be an independent learner and proactive type of person.</p>

<p>The standard line I've heard is it's not all that hard to get into Purdue engineering, it's hard to get out of it. Your first year is freshman engineering, then you select. There are help sessions, especially for specific courses, but you have to get there yourself. No one is holding your hand. My S was there in CS for one year until he realized it wasn't what he wanted. I'm an oldie alum with a husband and brother even older engineering alumni. The stories I've always heard is it's not uncommon for grad students at Purdue to be in undergrad, upper level engineering courses, to fuflfill grad requirements that they didn't have at their undergrad. program It's a great place, but not for everyone. Still, I "bleed Old God & Black" and will stand by "Hail Purdue" at anytime!</p>