Random Questions

She has 2 boxes for 2 cats.

2 Likes

Been there. Done that.
When going to a new home a cat should be limited to a small space at first that they can consider a “safe space”. Don’t immediately let them have the run of the house. Close off rooms so they don’t get overwhelmed. Give them the laundry room maybe with food and a litter box and let them “claim” that territory first. Especially during the moving mess.

After feeling comfortable in the “safe space” they’ll be ready to explore and expand their territory. If they get frightened or overwhelmed they’ll return to their safe haven. Eventually the whole house is their kingdom and they’ll be throwing you out on the street.

8 Likes

I like the idea of trying different litters.
Also, keeping the litter box very clean might be important.
We have 2 cats and 2 big litter boxes.
We clean them every day.

2 Likes

New topic:

Does anyone know about something called a Faraday key fob holder? Someone mentioned it on our local Nextdoor site. Apparently it’s supposed to keep bad guys from getting the frequency [or whatever] of your key fob so they can’t break into your car. I enjoy the convenience of just walking up to my car with my key fob in my pocket and just opening my car. Using something like this might be safer against the bad guys, but it would also mean having to handle the key fob everytime I wanted to open or lock my car.

Opinions? Experience?

IMO there are far more important things to worry about that are far more likely to happen than some hypothetical high tech thief having the gear necessary to steal your car.

1 Like

I would generally agree, but in my area there have been a lot of car break-ins, snatch and grabs, that kind of thing. Of course it often turns out that the car owner left his car unlocked and in the driveway overnight, so there is that. We always keep our cars in the garage.

Yeah, you’re right. I’ll worry about something else.

If high tech thefts were going on in my area, I’d do it. If it’s common thievery I think I’d just do what you’re doing.

Do not hang your keys by the front door.

Edited because the link I posted is apparently to an article with comments. So Google exactly this “Bob is the oil guy key fob mu” - this will bring up the article.

Summary: 1) do not keep the keys by the front door and 2) no need for a special “mu metal” box. Lots of metal boxes will shield the key quite well.

We bought one of these when car break-ins became a huge problem in our neighborhood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W94QLKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We put it on the counter where we used to drop the keys so all we had to do was drop the keys inside the box when they weren’t in purse or pocket.

Fortunately, we moved to a MUCH safer neighborhood so we don’t use the box anymore.

We use a PIN in our Tesla even though it is always parked in the garage.

1 Like

We live on a road most people don’t know exists, esp as far back as we are. Then those of us who live on it are a pretty darn good Community Watch since we know who lives/belongs and who is new. There’ve been a couple of times in our 20+ years here when we’ve gotten a call at night from a neighbor and joined in to see what people are up to. For whatever reason, those folks leave quickly. :sunglasses:

If there’s an apocalypse from any typical source (war, aliens, etc), I want to be with this group. Not only do we have space, we have a ton of knowledge from farming, fixing things, and medical.

8 Likes

My phone is my key, but I also have a key gizmo that looks like a credit card. I keep it in an RFID safe sleeve in my wallet

Yes, it can be operated with a phone (pita) or a key fob that looks like a mini X. We added a PIN when Tesla recommended it. You should, too, for an extra layer of security.

This question is for the medical orthopedic types out there. Husband tore off his hamstring tendon and is going for surgery Tuesday. At his pre-op visit, they fitted him for a locking brace with wide straps that fits snugly to his thigh and calf. He’ll be wearing that for six weeks. They also sold him a DVT Compression sleeve for his calves. He’ll be wearing that for two weeks. When he got home, I asked how he was supposed to fit both on his calf. Hmm, good question, he won’t get an answer until the office opens Monday.

I think the sleeve needs to be against his skin but it has an attached thin battery pack which means the brace can’t fit over it as set up. He thinks maybe he can wear the sleeve over the brace. I think we’ll need to loosen the brace enough to fit the sleeve under it, even if it means the velcro doesn’t reach and we’ll have to rely on the straps to hold it in place. Basically he’ll be wearing both mainly while lying down, not up and about.

So…is the sleeve effective for preventing blood clots even if it’s over a padded leg?

Not sure why the phone app is a PITA for an X. Works great for the 3.

Need to open the app and press something versus just waking up to the car (with a fob in the pocket). The extra steps make it no different than those fobs that require pushing a button, which defeats the convenience IMO. But it is a great way of having an extra “key” if the fob battery suddenly dies.

Random question prompted by the Tom Brady comment on the retirement thread…

Do we know of or think we’ve had any “famous” or well known people on CC?! I guess we’d really never know but isn’t it fun to imagine? I mean could @BunsenBurner (science nerd :wink: ) really be Dr. Fauci (another science nerd!!!) ??!!!

6 Likes

Well, I’ll spill the beans. I’m really Gloria Steinem. :rofl:

4 Likes

Seriously?! Then guess what, you’re from my town!!! :laughing:. And I saw you in person a few years ago - wasn’t your best night……

Well, I have off nights, like anyone else. :wink:

1 Like