Random Questions

Consider a thicker sole. The cobblestones and such will hurt your feet without more on the bottom.

2 Likes

oregon101 - thank you! I did wonder about that. Good to hear - that saves me from making a $175 investment (!).

1 Like

It’s crazy the random things that are shelf empty. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

The Charix look thin but they are made with a memory foam so hard to tell.

1 Like

Thanks, @Jolynne_Smyth . I wasn’t aware of a peanut butter recall, but I guess that makes sense that it would turn into a shortage. But enough – that was last July!!

1 Like

I like SAS walking shoes that lace up. They are comfortable and supportive and i believe made in the US.

2 Likes

If you have Harris-Teeter grocery, their house brand chunky PB is the best I’ve ever had. HT is in the Kroger family so maybe the other stores have the same, I don’t know.

2 Likes

Do you think there are people that would still want old 1950s/60s portable sewing machines? My husband is sentimentally attached to his mother’s old one, but it has literally been decades since we’ve used it. I think it’s a Singer.

2 Likes

Maybe these links help?
https://www.travelfashiongirl.com/what-to-wear-in-italy-dress-like-a-local/.
This includes sandals (some I’d say too thin-soled) and sneakers
https://www.travelfashiongirl.com/the-best-travel-shoes-for-italy-to-avoid-looking-like-a-tourist/

For our first Europe trip, I bought a pair of low black leather Taos sandals. They were pretty, but alas… soles were too thin for some of the cobblestone streets. I think my clunkier SAS sandals worked better due to thicker soles.

I did see in Google search that Italians don’t wear sneakers to office but do sometimes use them for their travels. Personally I don’t work too hard to not look like a tourist because at most places we go (ha, thinking places like Vatican Museum, where we ran into our neighbors) the crowd is full of Americans.

2 Likes

Italians wear plenty of athletic shoes. Just wear what keeps your feet comfortable.

2 Likes

Thanks for those links, Colorado_mom! Hope your recent trip was fun!

gouf78- yes, I’ll prioritize comfort for sure. I just would like something I could wear with skirts/dresses on occasion (non-hiking boot, lol)! Have two Zappos orders coming soon so will see!

1 Like

I do think there is market for older sewing machines. We got an old Japanese one at a yard sale.

Some are sold on etsy or ebay, etc

This may be helpful

Singer Sewing Machine Models

2 Likes

There are FB groups for selling fabric and sewing machines – Quilter’s Classifieds is the one that most often pops up in my feed.

2 Likes

I still use my mom’s 1960’s Singer. LOVE it. All metal (except for a few parts). Occasionally needs professional cleaning & servicing. I’ve searched for the same Singer model, even if not working to keep for replacement parts.

1 Like

That’s exactly the kind of seamstress that should get this sewing machine. I fear if we wait too long to give it away (when we move someday), we won’t have time to find it a good home.

I gave away my mom’s Singer sewing machine also. She had it refurbished before giving to me when she got older arthritis ( :yellow_heart:) but I’m just not a sewer. Someone else is hopefully enjoying it!

1 Like

If you have a give-away, look for a repair shop who needs them for parts?

1 Like

New random question: Dust ruffles/bed skirts. We bought new bedding and the bed skirt is a PITA. It is impossible to make the bed without the bed shirt getting tucked in with the blanket into the frame. Have to either hold the bed skirt with one hand and tuck with the other or pull it out afterwards (which messes up the tucked blanket/sheets). And no matter what we have tried (steam, etc) the wrinkles won’t go away. Would consider getting a different one but (a) hard to match the color (b) replacing it is a PITA (c) not sure how long we will keep this bedding and (d) had a hassle ordering this fro BB&B and don’t want to deal with them again. Help.

They make bed skirt pins to pin the skirt to the mattress to hold in place. Haven’t tried them but considering it!

I currently have a wood bed frame, so no skirt/dust ruffle. In the past, I have switched to a neutral box-pleat bed skirt like this, which significantly decreased getting caught up in the bed making:
https://www.overstock.com/c/bedding/bed-skirts?t=40&featuredproduct=27321462&featuredoption=46213184&ci_sku=32506339-000-019&cnc=US&cid=323885&type=pla&targetid=&track=pspla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pspla&gclid=CjwKCAjwq-WgBhBMEiwAzKSH6KhLJesehORzJHw98q0bWB7y_9hDFL06F5MGJiNvrHZWTETq3Dx4DhoCHlUQAvD_BwE