Random Questions

Nah, you will be fine if you reheat it.

Well if we are questioning whether I should feed it to the neighbor’s dog, I am sure not feeding it to my husband.

Thank you for the advice.
This is an extremely useful thread.
Usually I just call one of my sisters.

Honestly, I think you have to toss it. :frowning:

^One way or the other

I’d eat it if it were thoroughly heated up to a high enough temperature, say, 300F or above. I think that the food safety police are a little nuts on this sort of thing. If you would just warm it, probably not.

But if not, don’t give it to the dog. Does it have onions? Onions aren’t good for dogs. And they get nasty diarrhea from eating strange things.

Too bad your neighbors don’t have pigs. :slight_smile:

If it was thoroughly cooked the first time, I would reheat it like Consolation suggested. But then it will probably be dry and inedible.

Was there any kind of meat in it?
I would most likely eat it, but definitely wouldn’t serve it to guests.

@alh, I would throw it away. I’m kind of paranoid about things like that.

The word: "Potentially hazardous food that stays in the temperature “danger zone”, 40-140 °F (4-60 °C), for more than 2 hours should be discarded. Potentially hazardous foods are those foods that spoil most easily, such as unshelled eggs, raw meats, fish, shell fish, dairy products, almost all cooked foods.

The reason is that while cooking may destroy bacteria or other pathogens, it doesn’t always destroy the toxins that they have produced.

So in general, regarding perishable foods like meat, most dairy, unshelled eggs and shell eggs (in the US), cooked casseroles, and so on: if the food (or its perishable components) have been at room temperature for more than two hours, you should discard that food."

Two hours? The Thanksgiving turkey can sit out longer, if the meal runs long. We used to make soup and let the pot sit on a cold burner overnight. I’m a bit paranoid about paranoia but I think wise is as wise does.

I’ve always used the 2 hour rule. I realize it’s conservative, but I’d rather not take chances, I seem to have a very sensitive stomach. (And, yes, I’ll avoid eating certain foods at a party if it’s been sitting out for a long time)

“When in doubt, throw it out.” (Not sure exactly who I’m quoting here, but I know I’ve heard it many times!)

2 hours? That’s insane. BTW, eggs that have not been washed have a natural barrier that keeps them fresh longer. Of course, commercial eggs will all have been washed. Which reminds me: time to let the hens out. :slight_smile:

FYI -
I threw it out at post 81 :wink:

In many countries eggs are sold at room temp. so it can’t be that dangerous. I really miss the egg vending machine in our neighborhood in Japan.

That’s because they don’t wash their eggs like we do here in the US thereby removing the natural protection and allowing bacteria to permeate the shell. I think its a major failure by the FDA but don’t get me started becaue I could probably rant on that for awhile…Here’s an old article that explains the egg thing. http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-heres-why-we-need-to-refrigerate-eggs-20140714-story.html

I leave things out a lot longer than many. I do have a cast iron stomach though! If something has been left out covered it is likely to stay sterile.

I’m more aggressive about throwing things out after my–ahem–explosive experience after eating some leftover pasta carbonara.

There is a flock of buzzards on my barn. I am considering serving them the meat casserole. Will that be the equivalent of setting up a bird feeder for them?

Probably they are after the varmint we buried on the weekend but it has logs on top and won’t be easy to get at.

Why are they pronouncing Charlize Theron’s last name with the emphasis on the second syllable (on the Oscars)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3TTi_gAS5c