Random Questions

hmm do I dare go back to garlic and olive oil?
Mince a few cloves of garlic.
Heat a good olive oil in a small skillet until the oil is shimmering and toss in the garlic and brown it.
Put in a flat dish such as a pasta dish and serve with your warm bread and a great thick balsamic vinegar in a separate dish.
So nice if you have little dishes for each guest but no matter…

Eggs are good for a few weeks and are much better old to make hard boiled eggs

^“boiled eggs” uh oh. You opened up that can of worms again. :wink:

Peeling fresh ones is oh-so-easy when they are steamed in the microwave while nestled in the Nordic Ware thingy.

Here comes Madison!!! :smiley:

Doschicos, shall we say “opened that carton of eggs”? :wink:

D’oh! I didn’t check this thread over the last 2 days and missed out on the seersucker conversation!! You snooze, you lose. If I may add my $.02:

@greenwitch, that use of seersucker on the men’s trunks is deeply upsetting to me. I wish I could unsee it.

@greenwitch, @doschicos, @BunsenBurner y’all might appreciate last year’s 25th reunion jacket for the Princeton class of 1990:
http://asondern.■■■■■■■■■■/post/121000793595/princeton-university-class-of-1990s-25th-reunion

Also shown starting at photo #3
http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2015/06/03/pages/7461/index.xml

It kills me that my class cannot possibly have a design as epic as 1990s’ seersucker creation.

Carry on with the egg discussion.

I have a question about Amazon Prime, of which I am a member.

Sometimes products are “not eligible for Amazon Prime,” but they nevertheless ship free. Why should I care? Do I get less of a guarantee??

I’ll ask again, where’s my new “can we stop talking about eggs” button" :wink:

I was going to ask about straw handbags and white shoes, but decided against it, since I’m evidently uncomfortable sharing my itinerary.

VH,
I believe Amazon Prime guarantees 2 day delivery, whereas the other free shipping does not, and it could take a while, depending on what shipping method the vendor uses.

WRT caucuses: The caucus is a public vote and does not involve a secret ballot. The concept is the free exchange of ideas and preferences to inform the voters. It actually mimics the eventual party conventions, which likewise are public events without secret ballots. I find caucuses to be strange amd I don’t particularly like them, but that’s the theory.

Now I have a question for any linguists out there. We just visited Ireland for the first time and found it fascinating that the people in the west don’t have a “th” sound in their language. For example the number 3 is pronounced “tree”. We were wondering is that might be one of the reasons the old NYC accents pronounced lots of words without the “th” sound (e.g., saying an address as “toity toid and toid”). Or is that just a movie thing?

Very few languages have a “th” sound like English does. I’m sure the many immigrants in NY contributed to the NY accent, including the many Irish immigrants.

I heard in Ireland that most emigrants left from Cork as that was the last stop for many ships heading across the Atlantic (including the Titanic). My NY Irish immigrant ancestors were from Galway though so your theory could very well be right.

Why did I click in that link?
Now I have a whole banner ad of male seersucker swim trunks. Yikes!

VH, jym is correct about guaranteed free day shipping v. simply free shipping. The latter occasionally means your item will travel by a donkey caravan.

Eh, @dragonmom, confuse the interweb a little, just when it thinks it knows what ads to show you…

I’m pretty sure that @dfbdfb is the resident CC linguist, Perhaps he can answer the question in #150.

@VeryHappy @BunsenBurner - I ordered something from an online site of a chain store. Thought it would be easier. The sale was an online sale only an with free shipping over a certain dollar amount. I ordered it OVER a week ago and it STILL hasn’t even been shipped. It took 4 days to show as “processing” and it hasn’t budged from that. Sux. Never again.

Re #144 OMG This is why I would never, ever ever consider Princeton!

Gwen or Miranda?

Like them better than Blake. Meh.

Question-- Would you buy cupcakes or a birthday cake that you had to pick up 2 days before the event? We can celebrate the birthday at the restaurant Fri night and/or I can pick up a small cake or cupcakses , but due to time issues I’d have to pick them up on Weds. Would they be stale by then? Would it be tacky to have 2 day old cupcakes ( or cake)?