Ranking Colleges by Prestigiosity

<p>Duke, Vanderbilt, William & Mary, Rice are tops in the South. State U’s of Virginia and North Carolina are tops in state.</p>

<p>

NYU is much higher for students who need FA - approaching 946 mH (between Dartmouth and Brown). Everyone who is has a 0 EFC wants (and deserves) to attend</p>

<p>^ Wait, what?</p>

<p>I thought NYU was notoriously terrible for kids with 0 EFC.</p>

<p>NYU isn’t need-blind, and they give tons of loans. Isn’t this still true? Plus, NYC is incredibly expensive, especially for low-income kids.</p>

<p>Hunt, the “west of the Mississippi” phrase was well thought out, in that I personally think Stanford is under-recognized on this side of the river =D. But why not just boost it to 996.5 to mediate the two figures you listed?</p>

<p>And yeah, Stanford should definitely be above MIT and Caltech</p>

<p>Cornell would be about roughly -.0128. It kind of reeks of people so desperate to be Ivy that they are willing to overlook overall superior alternatives (e.g., Hopkins, Chicago, Michigan, GA Tech) and spend 4 years overworking themselves in a snowy outpost not close to anything.</p>

<p>Schmaltz, you are being confused by too many facts. We’re only talking about prestigiosity here, and on that front Cornell is still ahead of those schools.</p>

<p>Nice concept, Hunt, and a particularly clever unit of measurement. But how can Penn be 98.5% of Harvard when most of America thinks that the primary source of its prestigiosity comes from Joe Paterno?</p>

<p>Most people posting on CC (the source of my prestigiosity ratings) probably don’t know who Joe Paterno is.</p>

<p>And I have to give credit for the term “milliHarvards” to junior CC Member Ghostt.</p>

<p>I keep seeing this word “sarcasm” on this post. What does it mean? What is this “sarcasm” you speak of?</p>

<p>My carefully calibrated scientific measurements of CC postings indicate that CC posters are more obsessed and desperate about MIT and Caltech than they are about Stanford, resulting in a higher mH level for those two schools.</p>

<p>And although this thread is sarcastic (or even stupid), there is a point: my rating system is no more ridiculous than other systems that purport to measure the “prestige” of colleges. Indeed, I think my system is better, because it measures the perceptions of colleges among the very people students are competing with to gain admission–and beating them is what prestigiosity is all about!</p>

<p>^to the first paragraph, really? I beg to differ …</p>

<p>

Wait for two days… and you will see. You have to let the OP wake up and say something that most of us can understand… Or it could be the result of his mH. :-)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think that means I’m more prestigious than you.</p>

<p>Posting on this thread makes you one of the prestidigerati.</p>

<p>There seems to be an inverse correlation between prestigloiuxness and the likelihood that a professor would wear shorts in class.</p>

<p>Yeah, well, Hunt went to Yale…right? :)</p>

<p>

Hunt,
You may think Duke is the Harvard of the south. But to many, Stanford is on a different level and more than just Harvard of the west. Duke is a great school and its student body is probably just about as good but it doesn’t quite have the cachet as Stanford. Just look at the discrepancy in faculty awards and graduate rankings.</p>

<p>Maybe Duke is the Stanford of the South.</p>

<p>^that’s better! ;)</p>