Ranking Colleges by Prestigiosity

<p>

As of August 12, 2010, 9:18pm PST, there are:
100,705 Posts in Stanford board
24,823 Posts in CalTech board</p>

<p>So “obssessed and desperate” posters don’t post??? :confused:</p>

<p>They’re too wracked by obsession and desperation to type.</p>

<p>or, caltech has under 2000 students whereas stanford has almost 20,000. so looking at it from a percentage standpoint, caltech students post about twice as much as stanford students. Ha! they are desperate!</p>

<p>Sam Lee, taking this thread seriously will drag down NU’s ratings in milliHarvards, so watch out!</p>

<p>Thank you Sam Lee.</p>

<p>The great thing about prestigiosity is that there’s no room for the concept of “both are very fine.” If X is more prestigious than Y, it means that everyone at college X is a genius of the most staggering proportions and everyone at college Y is a loser who will be lucky to find a job asking “do you want fries with that.”</p>

<p>

Please don’t confuse this thread with the merits of these colleges. This is only about prestigiosity. I agree that Stanford has the edge in prestigiosity over Duke, especially nationwide (note my rankings).</p>

<p>I was trying to think of a school that has high prestigiosity (i.e., desirability among obsessed CC posters), while having relatively low familiarity to most people. Maybe Deep Springs would be an example of that.</p>

<p>I’d like to propose adding a few other schools to this list:</p>

<p>University of Virginia: 790 mH - would be better if it wasn’t (shudder) a public school.
Tufts University - 700 mH - everyone knows it’s just full of HYPS rejects.</p>

<p>Amherst and Williams Colleges - 600 mH - not the lack of prestigiosity as compared to the Ivy League schools, and the fact that they’re basically full of Harvard Rejects. Obviously.</p>

<p>All Women’s Colleges - 550 mH - like Amherst and Williams, but worse, because they don’t accept men. Therefore, their popularity and prestigiosity among CCers is cut in half, because they don’t appeal to half the CC population.</p>

<p>All other LACs - <500 mH - because who really cares about them if they aren’t top 20 universities?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I like it! Sort of a meta-prestige - a separate, new layer of prestige based solely on underlying prestige. This could catch on.</p>

<p>Wesleyan? Swarthmore? Trinity? Oberlin? Vanderbilt?Carnegie Mellon? Claremont McKenna? Pomona?</p>

<p>What about Johns Hopkins?</p>

<p>I’m game to add some schools, but I think you’ve (post 68) rated those schools much too low. Remember, prestigiosity is basically measured by how badly posters on CC want to get in, and most of those schools get lots of posts from people who luuuurve them.</p>

<p>Harvard: 1000 mH
Yale: 998 mH
Princeton: 998 mH
MIT, Caltech: 997.365782322119 mH
Stanford: 995 mH (998 west of the Mississippi)
Duke: 990 mH (995 south of the Mason Dixon line)
Columbia: 990 mH
Penn (Wharton): 990 mH
Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore: 988 mH
Brown: 987 mH
Penn (other than Wharton), Dartmouth: 985 mH
Cornell (CAS and engineering): 980 mH
Chicago: 978 mH
Northwestern, Rice: 975 mH
Tufts: 925 mH
University of Virginia: 900 mH (950 in Virginia; 990 in Virginia excluding Northern Virginia)</p>

<p>The women’s colleges are difficult to rate on this scale; there are a lot of CC’ers interested in them, but they seem to be, to some degree, a different group of CC’ers. I have a somewhat similar problem with the service academies, which aren’t on the radar screen of people looking at mH levels, but which are quite difficult to get into, and which have generated quite a few threads on CC.</p>

<p>I still think there’s a discrepancy with Stanford and MIT/Caltech, based on what Sam Lee provided.</p>

<p>More-so Caltech</p>

<p>Vanderbilt: 910 mH (940 south of the mason dixon line)
Hopkins: 900 mH
CMU: 880 mH
Trinity: 900 mH for all the rich kids at my prep school whose dahdy can get them in, 300 for everyone else</p>

<p>Am I accurate?</p>

<p>I’ve put Caltech into parentheses after MIT. I trust that solves the problem, since I think their prestigiosity is linked.</p>

<p>I would put Vanderbilt as about an equivalent of Tufts, with Hopkins just a tad higher, probably because of all the premeds eager to go there. You’re probably right about CMU. Trinity I’ve barely heard of, so in my book it’s prestigiosity is hard to measure.</p>

<p>Harvard: 1000 mH
Yale: 998 mH
Princeton: 998 mH
MIT (or Caltech): 997.365782322119 mH
Stanford: 995 mH (998 west of the Mississippi)
Duke: 990 mH (995 south of the Mason Dixon line)
Columbia: 990 mH
Penn (Wharton): 990 mH
Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore: 988 mH
Brown: 987 mH
Penn (other than Wharton), Dartmouth: 985 mH
Cornell (CAS and engineering): 980 mH
Chicago: 978 mH
Northwestern, Rice: 975 mH
Johns Hopkins: 950 mH
Tufts, Vanderbilt: 925 mH
University of Virginia: 900 mH (950 in Virginia; 990 in Virginia excluding Northern Virginia)
CMU: 880</p>

<p>Rice is higher than Vandy?</p>

<p>997.3647\ mH-Caltech/MIT mH ** - (USC x .0045/100 mH) + (Cornell x .0345/84mH) x .0098/5678 mH { 45 % + .89745/ 4873 mH } + **978 mH = UCLA</p>

<p>Just wanted to state the obvious.</p>

<p>By the way, what’s the explanation for the 2 point deviation between Harvard and YPS(“west of the Mississippi”)?</p>

<p>

Yes, based on my highly scientific method of basing the ratings on what I recall reading in threads here on CC. People think of Rice as more Ivy-like, which gives it a boost in prestigiosity.</p>