Ranking the UC's

<p>"I GREATLY disagree. Think about this for a second. If you go up to most employers and ask them, which school do you think is ranked higher? UC Davis or University of Texas? They'll think the University of Texas...you know why?! Because of their athletics."</p>

<p>I think most people could tell you that UT-Austin and Davis are probably ranked similarly. I don't think employers would differenate much between them, regardless of athletics.</p>

<p>"Contrary to popular belief most people don't hear about a job candidate's school and say, "Hmm lemme pick up the US News and find its school and see where its ranked."</p>

<p>Nobody is making that claim here....and I dont think your statement belongs to "popular belief either."</p>

<p>"I like them, I liked their interview, I like their work experience, I like their attitude, but OH DARN they went to SoAndSo University and its ranked 80th, NEH THEY SUCK. I'm not going to hire them." </p>

<p>In reality, TOP employers gets stacks of resumes all the time, and they get screened RAPIDLY. If you flash UC Berkeley at the top, you can expect it to get far more attention than "UC Riverside." If your resume isn't quite as beefed up, at least you'll get the benefit of the doubt coming from a well-regarded school. Coming from a lesser-known university may even prevent you from even GETTING the job interview to begin with. Employers are busy, they don't have time to interview low-yield candidates.</p>

<p>"I'd rather see a great GPA and great work experience. Look at some of those high ranked schools. Emory? Tufts? No offense, but before I went on this board, I've never heard of Emory or Tufts University."</p>

<p>Some school reputations are regional. People on the east coast know Emory and Tufts very well. If you mention "UC Riverside" or "UC Davis" to them, they will just shrug their shoulders. Same thing. And I realize what YOU'D rather see, but the reality is, YOU are not an employer, so YOU do not choose the criteria for interviewing/hiring. Most employers could care less about your GPA, as long as you passed.</p>

<p>"Most employers just go off word of mouth. Most employers aren't sitting at the newstands waiting for the latest US News Rankings saying "I'm going to only employ people who came out of the top 30." </p>

<p>Experienced employers at top companies know that students graduating from top schools make better employees... A graduate of UCLA is clearly more desirable than someone from CalState San Bernardino. That's just how it is, my friend. NOBODY here is claiming that employers open up USNews and rank candidates based on school rank, but everybody and their mother reads that issue, and people have a "general idea" where many schools rank. </p>

<p>UCRiverbed</p>

<p>What I've heard, from my experience, is that the school gets you the INTERVIEW. That is, if you're coming out of somewhere like Harvard or Princeton, you're going to have a real easy time getting an interview. From there on out, you're at the same level with everyone else who's interviewing.</p>

<p>I think a lot of you are missing the fact that employers are going to be different in different fields. Personally, I'm interested in pursuing a career in journalism - specifically, magazine journalism. It's much more beneficial, then, for me to have "Internship at Allure" or "Wrote Article for The Atlantic" on my resume (i.e. real-life experience) than to list a high GPA or some ultra-competitive school. In fact, most editors think that putting your GPA on your resume is a little childish. And, ultimately, a person graduating from Cal State with numerous impressive writing achievements to her name is going to be valued MUCH more than a person who went through Harvard without getting an actual internship.</p>

<p>My point is, you're generalizing fields, and you're generalizing employers. Big-name schools may help you right off the bat, but even that's not reliable. It comes down to your ability to do well in your field, and your willingness to be a persistent and hard worker.</p>

<p>
[quote]
anothercollegemom wrote: <a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/webex/lowacc_brief.php%5B/url%5D%5B/quote%5D"&gt;http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/webex/lowacc_brief.php

[/quote]
</a></p>

<p>Lowest admisison rate depends on the applicants applying for that school and doesn't necessary mean it is very selective on their requirements. </p>

<p>Take Cal State Dominquez Hills ranked #15 with 10% acceptance rate. 10% acceptance could be true but the admission standards are different allowing more applicants to apply even those with a 2.0 gpa. # of applicants that applied and the # of applicants with a low gpa with around a 2.0 could inflated their acceptance rate to 10%. </p>

<p>I think the minimun gpa to apply to a Cal State is very low but for a UC, you need minimun 3.0 gpa to apply. People with a grade point average less than 2.8 would not even bother applying knowing that they didn't meet UC minimum requirement thus fewer number of rejection letters for the UC school to hand out. </p>

<p>A school like Cal State Dominque Hills is very easy to get into.... it is just that they rejected A LOT of applicants that would not even meet minimum qualifications if they applied elsewhere.</p>

<p>Another factor could be private schools. Private schools only want like 500 students in their incoming class. Out of say 40,000 applicants, they can only pick out 500 students which is the reason why the acceptance rate is very low.</p>

<p>Empolyer factor....</p>

<p>A lot has to do with </p>

<p>1] Fame/Recognition (anything associated with Ivy Leagues would be nice)
2] Location of the job you are applying to..... the name of a UC school would sound better than a school in Montana applying for a job in California....<br>
3] Actual Day of the Interview</p>

<p>Yes, I was just using that ranking to illustrate that rankings can sometimes be misleading. It is a ranking of how competitive admissions are, but I think sometimes people can infer ( mistakenly) that a school ranked as highly competitive for admissions is a " better" school.</p>

<p>What you accomplish during your education typically means more than how highly your school is ranked. For example, there are firms that recruit from the top ( but not the bottom) of the class at certain highly ranked schools. But for most other organizations, they would be far more interested in hiring, for example, someone from a lesser institution who is a named as a co-author in a published research study. </p>

<p>You have to make the most of the opportunities available to you.</p>

<p>UCI is overrated here, while Santa Cruz is underrated.</p>

<p>Cal</p>

<p>UCLA</p>

<p>SD
Davis
SC
SB
Irvine
riverside
Merced</p>

<p>Why is UCI overrated? :/</p>

<p>imo</p>

<p>cal
ucla
ucsd
irvine/davis/sb (can't figure out a right order)
ucsc
ucr</p>

<p>ucm=unknown.</p>

<p>my preference:
CAL</p>

<p>LA
SD
SB
Davis
Irvine
SC
Merced
Riverside</p>

<p>
[quote]

UCB
UCLA</p>

<p>UCSD</p>

<p>UCD
UCSB
UCI</p>

<p>UCR
UCM

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This sort of makes sense, even, to me, in order per tier (though those differences are slight).</p>

<p>^the ranking is missing UCSC</p>

<p>Indeed. My mistake. Perhaps in between the second to last and last, or on the last. How about </p>

<p>UCB/UCLA</p>

<p>UCSD</p>

<p>UCD/UCSB/UCI</p>

<p>UCSC/UCR</p>

<p>UCM</p>

<p>Cal
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI
UCSB
UCSC
UCR
UCM</p>

<p>Again, if going by latest US News and World Report, here is the official ranking: <a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>UCB
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UCSB
UCD
UCSC
UCR
UCM</p>

<p>However, there was a glitch in the reporting last year for UCD, so I imagine UCSB and UCD will flip spots for the next US News ranking</p>

<ol>
<li>berkeley</li>
<li>los angeles</li>
<li>san diego</li>
<li>irvine</li>
<li>santa barbara</li>
<li>davis</li>
<li>santa cruz</li>
<li>riverside</li>
<li>merced</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>Tie between UCLA and UCB ( it depends on what type of person you are!)</li>
<li>Either UCSB or UCSD</li>
<li>UCI or UCD</li>
<li>UCSC</li>
<li>UCR or UCM </li>
</ol>

<p>Just my opinion though :-)</p>

<ol>
<li>Berkeley</li>
<li>LA</li>
<li>San Diego</li>
<li>Irvine</li>
<li>Davis</li>
<li>Santa Barbara</li>
<li>Santa Cruz</li>
<li>Riverside</li>
</ol>

<p>Don't know about enough about Merced yet.</p>

<p>Funny that some people are somewhat... biased. =D</p>

<p>People on CC biased? Impossible.</p>

<p>saxshackdan's rankings (based on personal preference alone)</p>

<ol>
<li>UCLA</li>
<li>UC Berkeley</li>
<li>UC San Diego</li>
<li>UC Irvine</li>
<li>UC Davis</li>
<li>UC Santa Barbara</li>
<li>UC Santa Cruz</li>
<li>UC Riverside</li>
</ol>

<p>Merced is still a wildcard...it could be as high as Irvine in ten years, or as low as Riverside.</p>