Ready To Party.....With Barbenheimer: NO SPOILERS PLEASE

I see it as the movie version of a summer beach read. With a little nostalgia. And some humor. And some really likeable actors. And scenes filled with the plastic pink eye candy landscape that is Barbie.

And adding in…is an attraction for many generations! Our parents bought them for us, “we” played with them, we bought them for our children and now their children may enjoy them (the dolls, not the movie if they are indeed children!)

7 Likes

Our paper’s film critic gave Barbie a good review!

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/movies/barbie-review-a-delightful-and-very-pink-trip-to-barbie-land/

3 Likes

My aunt died earlier this year at a young age (less than 70). She was a huge Barbie fan, and owned hundreds of them. She and a room dedicated to them.
I suggested to my family that we “celebrate her” by going to see it.
Don’t mean to bring sadness to a fun thread :frowning:

I don’t know that we will actually see it, but if we do we won’t be dressing up.

4 Likes

Watching it on Sunday with husband, dd 19 and ds 16. We are all looking forward to it!!
I never played with Barbies, but my daughter loved them growing up, and we have preserved many of them for future kids.

Oppenheimer first on Friday!

2 Likes

I still have my Barbie doll and case, tons of outfits. I only had boys though . I’d like to see the movie at some point.

4 Likes

I wish she could have seen the movie! :heart:

4 Likes

In the old days, I had one of the very early Barbies. I still have some of the knitted outfits my Aunt Tea made for them. Between my sister and I were also had Barbie’s friend Midge and little sister Skipper. We also had one of the early Barbie Dreamhouses. I still remember the little tiny albums. At that time, girls would only have one doll and you were able to buy outfits. When my kids were little, it seems girls had multiple Barbies.

I am not sure about the movie. I think I would see Oppenheimber first.

I was never a Barbie fan or Disney Princess fan either. At first I saw tv snipits and reminded me of La La Land (or whatever the name of the movie was— and that didn’t appeal to me so I never saw that one). ButI did see the trailer after some commenters said it looked good. It does appear different than my expectations, but I still won’t see it in the theaters. I prefer just streaming and might watch it if it ever become available.

La La Land is a great movie with Ryan Gosling AKA Ken!

9 Likes

I already have my ticket for Sunday morning - 9:30am. I go to the movies a lot and it’s very rare for them to have showings this early so they are clearly looking for big crowds. And I’ll see Oppenheimer later in the week.

3 Likes

Just FYI – Oppenheimer is a three-hour movie. Fantastic reviews so far, but really – three hours??!

1 Like

I think the trailer looks fantastic and I will watch it, but I’m not into theaters right now so I’m gonna wait. My daughter is going Friday night and we found her this to wear at a thrift store. Obviously she’s all the way in on it. Ha!

16 Likes

@milgymfam that dress is perfect!

1 Like

Mission Impossible was almost 3 hours but was so good I didn’t notice. Hoping This is the same!

6 Likes

I had the original Barbies growing up. In the original boxes. In perfect condition. My mom gave them away when I went to college. Thankfully they were well-loved, but…

Rotten Tomatoes has M:I rated at like 96%, which is outstanding.

We’re doing a date night this Saturday (dinner/movie). Barbie, Oppenheimer, and M:I all have start times within about 10 minutes of one another, so it might be a game-time decision. Probably the one with the best seats available…

I’m kind of a grouch in the theater – I hate noise not coming from the speakers (IE, noise coming from other viewers) – so I just pray we sit out of earshot of loud talkers/noisy people.

4 Likes

I was surprised when H said he’d like to see the movie once it hits a streaming service. The trailers look fun.

My one qualm is about the map in the movie that depicts the nine dash line in the South China Sea. Vietnam banned the movie while the PI will permit it with the map blurred. Maybe its inclusion was a mistake made by someone unfamiliar with it who just made a child-like rendition of a map. However, after multiple protests regarding a map that was long ago declared in violation of international law, I’m disappointed that the nine dash line wasn’t removed.

And they said it was made for some special screen, of which there are only 17 IN THE WORLD. None in Colorado, closest is Phoenix, and with it being 118 there today, I think not (although i’m sure many will be going to the movies to get out of the heat).

So yeah, for a 3 hour movie I think one should splurge for the comfy seats.

2 Likes

Yes, it was filmed in a specific IMAX format:

“Viewing on other “premium large format” (or PLF) screens 70mm, 35mm and Dolby Cinema will be impressive for audiences.

Nolan said his team has worked for six months to digitize the original film for other formats to ensure the best experience on every screen.”

1 Like

Eons ago, we went to watch Titanic. There were only 2 seats available in the entire theater when we got there… premium seats, but with a caveat: the seats were broken (wobbly and ready to fall down if one reclined even a bit). No problems… we were able to watch the movie on the edges of those seats! So if a movie is truly entertaining, a wooden bench will do. What I would never go for is a seat in the front section… too close to the screen will make my eyes and neck hurt! :laughing:

4 Likes