Registration Strategy - Units vs Classes

<p>My S is a Fresh and is preparing to register for Spring semester. Question: Better to have 15 units even if it takes 5 classes to get them OR better to take 4 classes even if it's only 13 units? In other words, units vs classes. Is 5 classes too many; 13 units too few? He'll be talking to his advisor today - just getting some outside feedback here. My wife and I have differing opinions based on 25 years ago when we stood in line to register.</p>

<p>If it was UW 25 years ago and like the decades before then it was likely in the freezing January cold with a walk from the Fieldhouse to get paperwork on the west end of campus to several buildings on the way for sign ups to the Red Gym on the east end to turn it in- computers are wonderful.</p>

<p>I would advise the 15 credits. Here’s my logic. He can always revise his schedule later and drop the class that is hurting him. He more than likely can do the work and it is better to be busy than have far too much time, especially in winter. 15 credits isn’t that heavy a load although 5 courses will be more to keep track of. It is a lot easier to study when there is limited time- too much time doesn’t make you do a better job. Keep good habits and be on track for graduating in four years. Better to push yourself than to underwork- you get further.</p>

<p>Well, you need at least 120 credits to graduate so 15 is a minimum unless you have AP credits or plan to take more later. Often later on you will be doing internships and/or interviewing which are time consuming so best to take the lighter loads later than sooner.</p>

<p>Wis… Actually, it was at USC in the Southern California sun. But enjoyed the anecdote just the same! Will pass it on to my son if I hear any weather complaints (so far, not a one).</p>

<p>He is OOS- you/he may as well get your money’s worth. Taking more courses as a freshman frees up time and gives more flexibility in later years. He will appreciate not needing to take more courses later to make up for a light first year.</p>

<p>Wis75…so you’re suggesting given 15 units, taking 5 classes is not excessive? 15 units is 15 units regardless of the number of classes it requires? As an example of what I’m saying, Ive read comments about taking 1 unit courses that turn out to be more work than a 1 unit course might suggest. A sort of “the whole is less than the sum of its parts”. Meaning, 15 units with 5 classes is more work than with 4 classes. Does this make sense? Therefore, getting back to my original question. BTW, my S is currently taking 4 courses for 15 units. Is a 5 course/15 unit schedule a greater work load than a 4/15? Or is it, as stated previously, simply more classes to keep track of but not really any more than that? I mean, there’s one more final exam to take and with that, more studying and therefore, more time consumed? Maybe it’s not really equal is what I’m thinking.</p>

<p>Sure the class can matter and you want a mix of tougher and less tough ones. Also some things come easy and others harder depending on the kid. I loved econ and similar classes and disliked those that required analyzing poems and novels. I just did not get it at the time and always liked reading factual stuff over novels unitl I got older. So figure on a balanced schedule according to his abilities.</p>

<p>Five classes is good to sign up for, and that way if you really hate a class or find one too difficult, you can drop it. I did not do that and now I’m stuck in an economics class I don’t need and am struggling with, but I can’t drop it because it’s four credits (unfortunately for my GPA) and that would put me under full-time student status.</p>

<p>18 credits is a heavy load and taking more credits than that will result in an extra charge. Those 18 credits (or even 17) can be only 4 classes- such as 5 each for chemistry and calculus plus 4 for a foreign language and 3 for lit. Add in the chemistry lab time and 20 or more in class hours can be had. btw- Organic Chemistry labs are separate from the lectures- for 2 credits you spend 8, then 9, hours in lab plus preparation and report homework, typically sophomore year. Harder to schedule other classes when an entire morning or afternoon is taken up by one class, but better for doing experiments when more time available.</p>

<p>I’ll bet those 3 credit courses are 3 hours per week in the classroom. 15-16 credits is a typical load, 12 required for full time status. Taking only 13 credits would leave no margin for dropping a course. Freshmen do not need to ease into college, starting slowly and ramping up. Plunge right in and get used to working. The courses a student is eligible for will not be too difficult for them to handle- courses come with an “open to freshmen” distinction or have prerequisites to avoid students getting in over their heads.</p>

<p>Encourage him to him go for the 15 credits. Those who stretch themselves typically get further in life while those who won’t don’t. He doesn’t need to take 6 courses to max out on the possible 18 credits allowed- when you look at it that way he is being average, not superstudent. HS students usually are balancing 6 to 7 classes with full days spent in school- college students have fewer courses and hours spent in class but should be spending more time outside of class studying. Your son may need to use hours between classes more efficiently than this semester. One change since my day is the 1 1/2 class “hour” (actually 50 minutes is a class hour, the time would be 75 minutes) lecture two days a week instead of only 3 one “hour” classes 3 times a week- this way Tuesdays and Thursdays can be used instead of just M-W-F for 3 credit courses. There are pros and cons to a long lecture only twice a week. btw- there is 15 minutes for passing, adequate for the size of the campus and an additional 5 minutes in the middle of the day- you get the odd seeming class start times engraved on your brain forever.</p>