Reject Train Going Full Speed

@hanna I certainly didn’t mean or say it was a constitutional prohibition of any any kind. It was just a more directional thought regarding financial aid. Merit is different and good point on some of the LACs. I wasn’t aware of that. It would be great to have a list of some sort of schools that grant merit for international students. Especially meaningful levels. I personally don’t consider a 2500 presidential award of some sort as meaningful for low ses international candidates. So I was thinking more in terms of meets full need type FA. But your point is well taken. But a reference link or something would be useful if you know of any from your work.

This might not apply for OP, as he will likely have a green card next application cycle, but for future DACA applicants reading this thread, Denison might be a good choice: https://denison.edu/news-events/featured/101325

Hello, just wondering, how does the Common App “reset”? Also, as a GAP year graduate, where would I get my college counselor recommendations? My “teacher” recommendations (I know some schools require some kind of language or such recommendation)? Also, would I be eligible for a fee waiver? My CC did this for me, but next year I know I won’t have a CC or a high school to look for help/LORs/Fee Waivers.

The common app resets August 1 but if you start after May1st and your GC uploads a letter, if your teachers upload their letters, it’ll all carry over.
Your GC would have to check the fee waiver boxes (free lunch, etc).
I suppose you’d need a “fresh” account though (with a new email address).

Oh alright thank you. I have another question - if I, as a green card holder, apply to UChicago ED1 again (as I was rejected this time around), would this show a lot of demonstrated interest to the admissions officers or would they essentially “toss” it after seeing how awful my essays were the past application season?

No, they wouldn’t “toss it”. If you have your green card it’s a game changer.
Obviously better essays won’t hurt and whatever else you can do (keep your jo + keep up research in the NU lab?)

Alright. But would the “demonstrated interest” from applying twice in a row affect the decisions at least to be considered?

Applying twice is normally a big negative. In your case, because the green card issue would be resolved, it’d make a difference. Applying ED already shows interest but without a green card it doesn’t negate the negative of applying twice.

One suggestion - several of your posts imply that you interpret phrases in a way that makes sense to and benefits you without really seeking to understand the colleges’ perspective on the issue. Examples include: believing applying twice shows “demonstrated interest” or that being DACA is a “hook”. For this next round of apps, you would benefit hugely if you put aside some of your preconceptions and spent time figuring out how the colleges view things, what the colleges are looking for. UChicago especially places great stock on applicants understanding and demonstrating fit. And fit doesn’t remotely mean what the applicant is interested in and wants, it means instead what UChicago is interested in and wants. If you put in the time to figure out what UChicago believes is a fit and show that on your app, that will be the most powerful thing you can do for this next app cycle.

There are five private colleges that treat undocumented students as domestic students. They are all very selective, but if you have “good stats”, they probably represent your best shot at an affordable education. I think you should consider taking a gap year and applying to some of these schools.

I am not familiar with your background or desired major, so I cannot recommend which might be the “best fit”. I am quite familiar with Tufts though, and I can say that a gap year with some meaningful community service (that was well articulated in an essay) would be looked upon favorably by the admissions department. They also tend to put a higher weight on actual work experience than other highly selective colleges.

I cannot provide the link to my source because it is a blog and the CC editing program rejects my message if I include it.

Best of luck, and feel free to ask additional questions…

Here is information on state schools from that same source

I am confused at to why you seem so solid on actually having a GC in time for applications opening in literally, weeks? Lots of posters are repeating this as if this is a sure thing. Have you done the biometrics? How far are you in this process? Do you have advanced parole travel status at the moment? As per the GC process? 

Re: #370

At least some of the states listed require high school graduation and three years of attendance or residence in the state (not just two years of attendance as claimed). Each state may have different rules, which can be found on the state university web sites. Note that these provisions are often available to US citizens and permanent residents as well.

Of course, it may not help the OP, who lives in Illinois and will graduate high school there.

@Sybylla I don’t think I’ve said that, and as far as I’m concerned, applications “opening” is irrelevant - applications for the early rounds are due November 1st.

I’m DACA. I have done all the biometrics, the background checks, got the I130 done, and all I need to wait for is an interview in South Korea.

I am not sure I agree with the majority opinion here that HKim was put in the international student pile past admission cycle. At the selective colleges he applied, most have a system where regional AOs evaluate candidates by high schools. If his application did not stand out among his high school cohorts how is adding a green card going to make any difference later this year? I think that in order to make a difference next time around there needs to be some major changes in his applications, otherwise the results could be similar.

And I disagree with the working community service hours. This is a very low income family. HKim needs to work. For money. One of the big benefits of DACA is getting a SSN and being able to legally work. He really only has 6 months to get the green card and everything organized before he starts applying again.

I’d also suggest applying to one of the schools that give generously for his high stats - Alabama, Ole Miss, Arizona. I don’t believe he is NMF, but if he is, UF (or any Florida public), Kentucky, Oklahoma.

Can you apply to a service academy if you are a green card holder? If so, do it.

@jzducol As far as I know from calling UChicago, Princeton, and WashU, although I do have “regional” officers, the fact that I’m in the international pool (confirmed for the schools above) would completely change the real cohort of students that I’m being compared to - international students. At my high school, I am in the top 10%, and if you mean by application you mean pure statistic, we get into a gray area of how so and so with lower #s got in - but being in my high school’s top 10% doesn’t mean I’m being compared purely with them (which I once thought was the case) because at the end of the day, I’ll be in a highly selective international pool.

But the whole point of a green card, is really the financial aid - being able to apply for FAFSA and have a college list that isn’t composed of the most selective universities.

If the OP does get PR, that opens up a lot more colleges that will offer FA and scholarships, so the application list need not be limited to a small number of highly competitive colleges with enough FA for DACA students or colleges with highly competitive full ride scholarships open to DACA students.

I.e. will not be as difficult to find non reach colleges to apply to.

I got a Case Western aid estimate just yesterday - I kept asking them and emailing them that I didn’t get one (the Aid office said internationals and DACA dont get estimates). I got an awesome full ride - almost a $64,000 Case Grant, then $3000 of Case Employment (like work study?), and a $5500 Case Western loan. This would cover my housing, meal plan, books and supplies, as well as transportation - now I just need to get in (which as MYOS and others have said, is probably unlikely). Essentially I would be psying $1500 + $5500 Case Loans.

My GC has told me that he might give Case (my regional counselor) a call to see where they are currently with the waitlist and general insight. As hopeful as I am right now, I don’t want to be too hopeful though.

^^if you would commit at that net price, let your GC know so s/he can inform Case that you would definitely matriculate if offered a position off of the WL…