Rejected from all reaches so far - any thoughts as to why

I agree and noted she can’t afford. Too many say - I’ll look at budget later and as we all typically note, this is a mistake.

Since Oxy meets need, hopefully there’s something else there or OP will need an alternative path.

4 Likes

As a parent of a US citizen in an international school in Asia - this is the toughest “pool” of applicants. Our school’s top 20% have astronomical GPAs, maxing out AP classes and attaining all 5s while winning international math competitions.

If she were applying from Singapore, HK or even jakarta/manila - there are many many high achieving students in this pool of international school graduates (and then you can top it with local school high achievers looking for top college placements)

The need for aid was barely noticed by the committee

1 Like

This is odd because no one is required to share their ethnicity in an application. OP shared here, but in every reach school in America, ORM hold the majority of the slots so clearly that means, there is no biased against them bc plenty get accepted every year.

I’m not sure how you define a ‘reach’ school, but many highly rejective schools do not have a majority of ORM students. Even if that were true, it would not rule out bias/discrimination.

1 Like

Of course, but frankly, being in their shoes I too would wonder why these kind of stats (both GPA and SAT), and broad ECs, the likes of BU, NEU did not offer admittance - unless those universities did yield protection figuring that this person will more likely accept an Ivy anyway?

Closing as this is an old thread.