religion

<p>How big a part does religion play in the curriculum and is the student body pretty religious?</p>

<p>As an undergrad, you are required to take a certain number of hours of religion courses. From what I remember, I believe it is 9 hours (3 classes), two of which are required to be taken by all students and one is a religion elective of your choice. Even though Loyola is a Catholic university, there are all different types of religion classes available to take. Classes in Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam and the history of religion are all open to students. </p>

<p>From my experience, the student body seems pretty regular to slightly above average in terms of religious involvement. As I could imagine with any private, Catholic school, there are plenty of opportunities to become involved in religious based organizations, such as the office of Mission and Ministry, which sponsors service events and retreats. However, if you do not choose to be a part of any of these, religion will not play a big part for you at Loyola.</p>

<p>Professors will stress a “commiment to serving others,” “social justice,” and “educating the whole person,” which are all Jesuit ideals. Going to a Jesuit school is more defined by the style in which you are educated in rather than a commitment to any religious principles. </p>

<p>There are lots of students who attend Mass and are out there helping in the community on a regular basis, and there are plenty of students who walk right by one of the biggest churches in New Orleans (conveniently located on Loyola’s campus) everyday and never step foot inside.</p>

<p>Although you are required to take a certain number of classes in your common curriculum, the majority of religious events that a student participates in is up to them. Just to add on to cjzimny, some things are required, but you really decide on how much or how little you do.</p>

<p>As an agnostic attending a Catholic school, I thought I was going to be very out of place. However, the people at Loyola are extremely accepting. It really doesn’t matter what religion you are (or are not). The student body here represents the full spectrum from the very religious to those who are not at.
Like others have said, you are required to take 9 hours of religion, but that certainly doesn’t limit you to just Christianity. In going with the Jesuit spirit, the idea is to education the whole person (which includes the spiritual), but through what medium and how much is completely up to you.
As for student activities, though there are a good number of faith-based groups on campus, I would say the majority of the student organizations are secular by nature. It is very possible to be involved in campus life without having to be religious at all.</p>

<p>It really does not matter what religion you are. Loyola is very accepting of all religions. Religion is required for common curriculum (you have to take 9 hours) but you get to choose what you study. Personally, I’m Hindu and I have never had any beliefs of any other faith pushed onto me. There are student organizations for different faiths such as our Muslim Student Association. The University Ministry will actually find a place of worship for your religion and provide transportation for you if you do wish to attend a service while you are at Loyola.</p>

<p>I am Catholic, and I love being able to go to Mass so easily during the day. I feel like my faith has gotten stronger because I truly decided for myself, without the influence of my parents, to go to mass and participate. Since being at Loyola, I am even more open to understanding other religions because people from different beliefs literally surround you every day. It’s a great experience and a great place for students to truly interact with others from different religions, who can expand your understandings and beliefs.</p>

<p>Religion on campus can affect you as little or as much as you want. There are people from all over with all different kinds of religions. The only requirement is that each student must take 9 hours of Religion which is 3 classes.</p>