Renting Textbooks from Amazon

<p>My S is entering TAMU as an engineer in the fall. He is our first and we are completely new to how textbooks are bought, rented, resold and/or returned. We didn't have Amazon in our college days. Can anyone tell me how the process works with Amazon? Is it better to rent or buy used. Are there problems when renting? Is it easy to return? Is my S going to have problems repacking everything and sending it back? I've read the Amazon information but I was hopeful someone with actual experience could give us the the pros / cons and basic tips for making this easy for a new freshman.</p>

<p>I haven’t used Amazon but we have used textbooks.com for my daughter for summer classes at the community college. We’ve rented and bought used- then either sold the used back to them or returned the rented. </p>

<p>It was super easy, fast and saved us a ton. When you rent you have a certain length of time to use the book before you must return it. Usually the length of the semester. When buying they offer you a buy back price- guaranteed. </p>

<p>We used the same packaging the books arrived in to send them back. We went online and printed our shipping label. Well worth it. We are working in ordering books now for classes this summer. </p>

<p>We use amazon and chegg. You just log onto your account and click “return books” which lets you print 2 sheets of paper. One is the shipping label and the other good inside the box. Save the box the books come in and reuse. Then you drop off at any ups location and you’re done! Send packing tape and your S can do it himself.</p>

<p>Sometimes it’s better to buy used if the book is used for multiple semesters (ie calculus and a few others).</p>

<p>When you live in the dorms, how to you receive your Amazon books? I have read that they do not allow UPS or FedEx deliveries to the dorm and they won’t send them to a P.O. Box.</p>

<p>@whciv01
S’s school (University of Delaware) has some sort of Amazon locker system on campus. If I try to send him anything to his campus address, Amazon gives me a “corrected address” which is their campus locker system. When a package arrives they send him some sort of code and a locker number and he goes and enters the code to open the locker and takes out the package. At least that’s how he explained to me how it worked. He was quite impressed with it. </p>

<p>If you have a Commons mailbox, you can get both UPS & FEDex (it isn’t a PObox). If you have NorthgatePost office…ask a friend to use their off campus address…although simplelife’s son got his delivered to a northside dorm… not sure which one. It isn’t a huge problem, college students work together to help each other :)</p>

<p>While I agree there are many work arounds to get packages, we have always tried to get the books that we rented ordered and delivered at home before the semester starts. Then, I send them back after the kids move back home and the semester has ended. Once in a while there is an issue with the prof not selecting a book early enough, but that has been rare. As far as Amazon rental goes, check out buying used through Amazon or the Amazon Marketplace. We have gotten some amazing deals and then can sell the book back after. Frequently, this comes out cheaper than renting. I always compare all the alternatives before making a decision. We’ve never had a bad experience except for the time we mistakenly sold a book back that turned out to be a rental. Oops!</p>