Research Summer Programs (2022)

Hi all,

I am planning on attending a research summer program this summer. I have to decide between the following:

• Research in Science & Engineering (RISE)

• Summer Science Program (SSP)

• High School Honors Science, Math, and Engineering Program (HSHSP)

Out of these three summer programs, which do you think would be the most rewarding and offer the best experience? Which of these is the most prestigious?

First of all, congrats. I’m assuming you made it to all these programs, which is extremely difficult.

I would say these are similar in prestige but if I had to rank them it’d be SSP first.

All these programs are going to give you great experience: it’s more about what you want to pursue. Do you want to focus on either physics or chemistry? Then SSP might be the way for you. Do you want to research more in depth about neurobiology? Then RISE may be the best.

Also, I’m assuming you got into Practicum for RISE? Or were you accepted as an intern?

SSP is the best and most valuable program for college admissions. Please let other two programs you wont be attending. This will help others

Thank you for your response! So far, I Have been admitted to RISE (Practicum) and SSP.

I have not heard anything from HSHSP (decision releases on May 1st), but I have to decide within a couple of days if I am committed to either of the programs I did get into.

I’m leaning towards SSP, especially because of the community and alumni network.

FYI: Several people have said they were admitted to HSHSP. Based on prior years’ threads, they may issue acceptances, and then see who is coming, then issue some more. I don’t know this for sure but it seems that the first round of acceptances is out.

…gcff

All programs are practically the same level of prestige. What I do know if BU rise is really great for getting real world experience as you get to visit really cool companies and make connections. Also, you’ll get some more down time with HSHSP AND BU rise to work on college essays this summer. SSP can be draining and don’t expect to be getting really anything done besides research. They’re also way less expensive if you’re worried about that too. Hope this helps!

I’ve had two kids attend SSP in recent years (one in person, one remote during COVID, both in the astro program). While it’s true that students won’t have a lot of time to do other things outside of the research project during SSP’s actual term, that term is only 5 1/2 weeks long, so there is still plenty of time during summer break to do other things, including college essay and test prep.

Would you share some about their experiences, during and after (I understand that alumni stay involved), please?

Both my kids had great experiences. It’s all-encompassing during the 5 1/2 weeks of the program, certainly in the astro sections during the nights where your team has been assigned telescope time until the wee hours of the morning, but the academic work is broken up by some really fascinating field trips (which vary by location) and other extracurricular events. It’s a very intense experience, but SSP has been running these programs long enough to know how much students can handle. Honestly, it’s FUN!

The students in the program make very close friends – I know that my oldest still keeps in touch with some of his SSP cohort even though he’s three years out from his experience. Alumni definitely stay involved as SSP is run by mostly former students (as opposed to a host university). There is also an annual fall dinner which typically rotate between sites on the east and west coasts where alumni can get together. Alumni also often come back to serve as TAs in future years.

1 Like

You might find this thread helpful about the experience: Clark Scholars Program @ Texas Tech vs Summer Science Program (SSP) - #11 by chocolateshrimpjuice

I’ve been wondering similar things :slight_smile:

1 Like

SSP probably most “prestigious” but the rest are on par, and you can definitely gain valuable experiences / opportunities in all. I have heard that SSP is pretty draining and it is more structured (I think). It’s also pretty costly. But yeah, you can’t really go wrong. Congrats on the acceptances :slight_smile: