Residence Hall question

<p>Chad is doubles while barnard is mostly singles (some doubles). Chad is nicer because it was newly renovated, Barnard is older because I think there are some laws/rules about renovating a historical building or something. Yes Barnard residents get access to Chad, including the advising, rec center, tech center, etc. Yes, you should try to turn it in as soon as you can. Because in Chad, you get to choose your room, so you should turn it in early to get the room/floor you want.</p>

<p>Barnard is nice because there are some singles, and the rooms are laid out really interestingly…if you get a double, you might wind up with actually two rooms (one goes into the other), so it’s up to you and your roommate if you want to each take one or use one for sleeping and one for a living room area. However, Chadbourne is newer. They both have the same exact facilities. I think Barnard is a bit less social than Chadbourne though…floors on Chadbourne tend to be pretty close due to the way it’s laid out, while Barnard has less of that. Barnard was a bit of a party dorm last year though due to the people that lived there. So really anything can happen. It’s a good idea to promptly return your housing contract no matter what dorm you want.</p>

<p>I have heard quite a bit that Chad was renovated but does that even make it compare with the newer dorms? Doesn’t Barnard have bigger rooms? </p>

<p>How does Bradley relate to Chad? I know Chad is probably nicer but in terms of atmosphere? I want to be in a friendly place but would like to avoid a party atmosphere…</p>

<p>My son and I visited UW Madison in November and toured both Bradley and Chadbourne. We thought they both were nice, but my son liked Bradley better probably because he likes the Lakeshore area better. The rooms in Chadbourne are very small, supposedly some of the smaller rooms on campus. The rooms in Bradley were not super spacious either but my son felt they were big enough for two people. A current resident of Bradley took us on our tour and she liked it very much. A former resident of Chadbourne took us on the tour and she also liked Chadbourne. I think both places would be good residence halls to reside in if one wanted to have a good time but not an overly partying atmosphere. Chadbourne is said to be more centrally located, it is in the more urban side of the campus.</p>

<p>Barnard has bigger rooms. The rooms in Chadbourne are pretty small (smaller than many other dorms), but the dens are extremely nice and there is a kitchen and study area for each floor. The bathrooms are also extremely nice, and you control the AC and heat (most dorms don’t have AC at all - it doesn’t matter for most of the year but on warm days it really sucks). I think the small rooms and nice dens cause people to spend a lot of time in common areas, which makes most floors pretty close-knit. The default atmosphere is not a party one - as I have said, think board games and summer-camp type activities. Barnard does not have as nice of common areas, and it can be pretty antisocial, although since it’s very small it depends on the people who live there. The rooms are also bigger and you get bigger closets. The dining hall for both Chad and Barnard is currently the best on campus (although they are building a new one for Sellery and Witte so that could change), you do not have to walk outside to get to it (from Witte to the dining hall it took several minutes and you had to walk up a scary, icy set of stairs!) and there is a convenience store in the dining hall -everyone I knew in Chad and Barnard absolutely adored the “c-store” and it was massively helpful.</p>

<p>I have never been to Bradley or anywhere on Lakeshore, but I assume it has a similar atmosphere. I think they have activities like Chadbourne does, and since it is all freshmen, that’s an extra bonus. Chadbourne is not specifically for freshmen, and since returning students get to pick their own rooms, established groups of friends often live near each other. I lived on a floor that was primarily sophomores (probably all the sophomores in the whole dorm since few non-freshmen live on-campus) and they all had lived in Chadbourne previously. Lots of students who live there get really involved in the learning community and therefore want to live there again if they stay in the dorms. My friends all lived on a different floor so I didn’t really care that it was all sophomores, plus I moved there midyear, but had I been there from the beginning, I might have been annoyed. So the all-freshmen aspect of Bradley is a bonus, but shouldn’t factor too heavily into your considerations because so few non-freshmen live in the dorms.</p>

<p>I would personally not want to live in Lakeshore, even if I didn’t party, because I think it is too far from State Street and I enjoy being around shopping and restaurants. It is a hike to even Walgreens or the grocery store. It is really beautiful and peaceful over there though, the nature and lake views can’t be beat, and the walk is not prohibitively far, so it’s a good choice for lots of people. I think in Southeast, you feel like you live in a college town or city. In Lakeshore, you feel like you live on a college campus. You just have to think about what your priorities are. Both areas are about the same distance to class buildings - Southeast and Lakeshore are kind of on either side of all the class buildings. You just have to walk past all the class buildings to get to stores and restaurants from Lakeshore. There is very good bus service though so if you want to get somewhere, it is not difficult.</p>

<p>Chadbourne also has an excellent location - one of the closest dorms (aside from Liz Waters) to class buildings, close to State Street, close to parties if that’s what you’re into. It does not have a default party atmosphere at all, though there will be some people who party there (but it will be like that in any dorm). I liked it even though I didn’t really fit the typical student who would live there, and I think a lot of people who live there do really like it.</p>

<p>I agree, Chadbourne and Liz Waters have the best locations of all the dorms, pretty much close to everything.</p>

<p>No one has mentioned the private dorms. What is the deal with them? Are they nicer? Do you still meet alot of people? I know they are more expensive.</p>

<p>Lucky is nicer. Rest are about equal or worse in some cases.</p>

<p>Thank you for answering. Is Lucky well-located? Do people like it there? We are from New Jersey… in which dorms are there out-of-state students? I want my daughter to meet people from all over the country as well as Wisconsin.</p>

<p>Lucky has a great location, probably one of the best on campus…the grocery store, Walgreens, campus health center, important school offices are all in the Lucky building. The apartments are EXTREMELY nice. It’s pretty much the best place on campus, but also the most expensive. (If you’re okay with sharing a room though, the prices are comparable to more affordable apartments, though still not cheap.) Every time I go over there, to visit a friend or what-not, I always feel pretty jealous, and I live in an extremely nice apartment for college standards.</p>

<p>Out of state students are most commonly found in the private dorms, though there are some in the public dorms as well. There are less students from Wisconsin and the Midwest in the private dorms, often. Statesider has more of a “dorm” feel, and you get your own bathroom (shared among a suite) which is extremely rare in the public dorms. I am pretty sure it has its own dining hall too, and a gym and possibly tanning. It’s an older building though, and though I’ve only spent a little time there, I personally thought it wasn’t nice enough for the price. Many, many students who live there wind up joining the Greek system. Lots of people there are from out of state, specifically the East Coast. If you want to be around more Wisconsin/Midwestern students then I recommend the public dorms…there are still some out of state students there as well. The Towers is a private dorm in an apartment style. They kind of try to steer freshmen towards Statesider, I think. I have never been in the Towers, but I think it is fairly nice, though older it has just been renovated. I think for the price I’d rather live in Lucky, though.</p>

<p>Private dorms have a bit of a reputation for being full of snobby “coasties” who don’t want to mix with the Wisconsin students. This is not entirely true and shouldn’t affect anyone’s experience negatively (you will find friends wherever you choose to live) but I think that does happen a little in some ways. They are very nice though if you can afford it. I personally recommend the public dorms for everyone though - more of a mix of students, cheaper, and more of the typical college dorm experience. The RAs also pay a bit more attention in the public dorms, I’ve found. I have never seen an RA in a private dorm (except for the fact that I have a friend who is one) and they don’t really do anything, while the RAs or House Fellows in the public dorms are usually very present.</p>

<p>What RoxSox said. I came out to UW from NJ too–many years ago. Loved it. Still do. Just back from the Rose Bowl where many many Badgers made the trip.</p>

<p>Thank you again for all the information!! What worries me about my daughter being in a predominantly Wisconsin dorm is that the students might go home on weekends. I am also concerned that many would come already having friends. I grew up living on Long Island in New York and went to Binghamton University, State University of New York. There were so many kids from my high school and surrounding towns that it seemed everyone was exactly the same. I could only imagine being the one kid from Wisconsin there. Seriously… ODD MAN OUT! Just don’t want her to be that man (woman)! However, I also do not want her to only stay with the east coasters either. I think it is important to meet and be friends with people from everywhere.</p>

<p>What about sellery vs witte? Is one nicer than the other/have benefits?</p>

<p>I’m living in Sellery this year and love it. I’ve made many great friends and couldnt be happier. I’ve got a few friends at Witte who are also very happy. I heard so many stories about Sellery being such a big party dorm and was a little concerned. However it’s never been an issue. Sure most everyone likes to have fun on the weekends but during the week it’s quiet and people are busy studying. And the location is definitely the best in my opinion. And dont worry about the Wisconsin kids going home on weekends. Very few do, the weekends are amazing here</p>

<p>Stacespace, almost NOBODY goes home on weekends. Because it is such a big school, and selective as well, people come from all over but most people don’t have too many established social networks. I think most Wisconsin students come in knowing a few people, but eager to form their own new social circles. From what you have described I would continue to recommend the public dorms. The private dorms can kind of be isolating and your daughter might find herself primarily surrounded by people from the East Coast. I would also say that the public dorms are a good mix of students from Wisconsin, other Midwestern states, and non-Midwestern states. I found them rather diverse.</p>

<p>Sellery and Witte are almost exactly the same. Literally. Witte is about a block further from classes, so for that reason I’d put Sellery before Witte in your list of preferences, but they are exactly identical.</p>

<p>Some nice descriptions from RoxSox. Definitely choose Res Halls for OOS students- be a part of things and not off campus. Students make new friends and find it easy to not see anyone from their hometown. Lakeshore residents can take the Lakeshore path to the Memorial Union and beyond to State St, or at least two other routes for variety. Some like old and some newer buildings. Barnard is the oldest dorm on campus, not my style with dormers for windows on the top floor et al, but friends loved it. Look at the various photos on the Res Halls website, including the lofting guides. Many different styles and locations to suit different tastes. All walkable to various places. Definitely NOT a commuter campus. No need to return to your particular dorm area for meals- dining halls and other Res Halls eating places open to the public as well. Also no meal plan required- all food purchased is a la carte (and cheaper for dorm residents than others), you put money in your food account and get unused money back (in the other student account) at the end of the year. Dorm rooms come with a small refrigerator and you can provide a microwave oven. Delivery of pizza and subs from Res Halls snack bars to their dorms for a small charge.</p>

<p>MaryDay (or anyone), would you say the size of Sellery dorms is an issue? When I visited, it seemed manageable but with SUPER small closet space… just wondering if that ever gets frustrating? Besides the cramped style, I really like the location!</p>

<p>Rooms are small but there are definitely things you can do to find room for everything. My roommate and both lofted our beds which allowed us to put our desk, dresser and chair underneath Doing that allowed us to have a nice size futon and tv stand. Closets are actually pretty spacious with shelf space above. Remember to bring a ceiling to floor curtain so you keep all your closet stuff out of sight. We live our room. With a nice soft rug, Christmas lights uP all year round our room is really quite comfy and a favorite hangout for lots of kids on our floor:)</p>

<p>Most of the dorms have small closets. You don’t need a fancy wardrobe for UW college life either. Consider bringing a metal shelf unit that is 18" x 18" x 4’? for more stacking space in your closet and fewer hanging/ironed tops.</p>

<p>Ok, that helps a lot. Thank you for your input(s)!</p>