Residency comes next

<p>Thanks,
One thing I am happy about the fact that although D. will apply to #1 program (since it fits gorgraphically and D. will apply strictly geographically as it stands now), most likely she will not rank it as her #1, and the same goes also for one of the top 5 programs. As of now, she wants to stay where she is and most likely will rank it #1. But we have another year to sort it out and not clear about Prelim / Transitional , where she has higher chance of staying at her location, but then it will be Prelim, while her preference is Transitional.</p>

<p>MiamiDAP,</p>

<p>Any rational for your D to do a Transitional vs a straight preliminary year in IM? Just curious.</p>

<p>So happy that all the CC family seems to have landed safely in the Match process. I spent a little time reading over at SDN and the thread about the students going through SOAP is harrowing. What a nightmare for those poor kids
</p>

<p>Transitional years are often a little cushier.</p>

<p>IWBB, that is what I am being told about Transitional years. At some institutions, they seem to be just like another “senior” year where you end up rotating through specialties that you may not have any interest at all - OB GYN, Peds or Family Practice - I am finding out that a straight Internal Medicine year makes more sense and will prepare you better for which ever specialty you are going into - Dermatology, Neurology, Radiology etc.</p>

<p>Matched #1 :D</p>

<p>Wow!!!</p>

<p>Congrats to all with good news!</p>

<p>and a wedding! (why does my auto-correct want to keep changing that to weeding??? )</p>

<p>D got her first choice as well
she was thrilled and is very excited to start the next phase. Her med school did extremely well this year according to the powers that be.</p>

<p>A huge thank you to all my CC med school supporters for their advice and wisdom over the past 5 years of this journey! A special thanks to those who shared their wisdom via PM, thanks to you, I was able to be an effective sounding board for my DD thanks to your experience helping me give solid advice especially during issues/questions that may seem minor now, but were all consuming at the moments when decisions had to be made. You know who you are</p>

<p>somemom and elleneast,</p>

<p>Big congrats to your D and you.</p>

<p>Thank you for the support during this crazy time!</p>

<p>Adding my YIPEE!! for somemom’s D and Elleneast’s D.</p>

<p>Congratulations to all our CC parent and student who matched today.</p>

<p>(WOWM crossing her fingers that next year she will celebrating good news too.)</p>

<p>Congrats for all #1s so far!!!
in regard to a comment:“I am finding out that a straight Internal Medicine year makes more sense and will prepare you better for which ever specialty you are going into - Dermatology, Neurology, Radiology etc” - So far D’s preference is for Transitional year for the same reason. She believes that it will work better as there are more electives in Transitional year. However, she is finding out that at least one Prelim program in her locality appears to have more than normal number of electives for Prelim. She wants to stay where she is now, so being local any program will be higher on her list. Still is still foggy about total number to apply, but she has a list of about 50 or so (she does not have a list of Transitional/Prelim yet). </p>

<p>Congratulations!
I am so happy for your daughters and your families. Thanks for sharing the good news.</p>

<p>We got the match list from D’s school from Firday.
All who matched in specialty that D. will apply, also matched in Transitional, none were in Prelim. D. was correct.</p>

<p>
however, all in neurology, radiology matched to Medicine-Prelim</p>

<p>I read from somewhere that a transitional year is like the clinical year in MS3-4 all over again except that it may be more intense. A medicine-preliminary or surgical-preliminary year is like a year doing the medicine (or surgical) rotation exclusively during the whole PGY-1 year.</p>

<p>Is the above description correct?</p>

<p>Edit: I found there are some good explanations about these two terms, as well as “category”, in some link related to doctorsintraining (I dare not provide the link because it ends with .com and with the word “blog” in it.)</p>

<p>Maybe it is about the time for me to visit FREIDA occasionally to bring myself up to speed.</p>

<p>Which one is harder to get into? prelim or transitional, in general? Or, there is really no simple answer to this complicated question?</p>

<p>Of course, it is better to be accepted to a transitional/preliminary program as well as an advanced program. If one fails to get into one of these, which one, the transitional/preliminary or the advanced, is easier to get into during SOAP?</p>

<p>An SDNer with most Honors and 260+ STEP-1 who got into a rad-onc advanced but failed to get into a med-preliminary. Does this happen often? He explained that most (if not all) applicants into ROAD requires a preliminary in their PGY-1 year – this artificially makes the preliminary program harder to get in as these applicants tend to be super competitive.</p>

<p>I also heard of someone who got into a med-prelim (at his/her home school) but failed to get into an advanced program (derm!). Is he/she in a really “bad” situation?</p>

<p>Quick update:
Our (NOW) son-in-law did indeed match to his one and only choice in this second go-round of Match days for him (changing specialties) AND we found out on Friday that he also got one of the top few transitional spots for the program. His other options for that first year involved repeating that intern year of surgery----which he was not really looking forward to (obviously, since he is switching out of surgery). So that was great news!</p>

<p>In other news, they are now married! It was a perfectly beautiful day and all went according to plan. Good thing, too, because the groom was VERY sick on the night before the wedding (stomach bug going around) and completely missed the beautiful rehearsal dinner that his parents hosted for them and almost all the wedding guests. He had doctor friends staying with him all night, though, pushing fluids and dosing him with phenergan (sp?) and he was in great shape for the wedding and celebration afterwards. My daughter said something about his illness being “unfortunate timing” and I said “NO!!! Unfortunate would have been 24 hours later
he would literally have had to run out of the ceremony.” :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Mazal tov on the wedding and the perfect residency match!</p>

<p>CMM, I am so glad that you checked in! I was thinking of you and hoping that all went well yesterday. What a happy ending (short of the stomach bug ) to a stressful time.</p>