Residency comes next

I agree with what you’re saying and ACGME may very well think what EM is doing is the answer, but I disagree that the PROGRAMS think a 3rd party video interview is going to be the answer - especially because if this becomes more widespread, Kaplan and the like will jump on the opportunity to open up another revenue stream by prepping kids for the video interviews which in turn renders them useless for the purpose stated above. Of course ACGME can simply make it a requirement but if the programs have any say in the process, I highly doubt it will become one. Why would the programs want to reduce variation in the quality of training? Why would MGH ever want to acknowledge that it’s training isn’t superior to anyone else’s?

^^^ It is not as simple as you may think, and it has nothing to do with other industries. The ACGME’s goal is for ALL medical training to be equivalent and not for MGH’s to be superior to anyone else’s. That is exactly the point and that is the direction healthcare is going whether training programs like it or not. It is all about standardization. I have several colleagues working on curriculum proposals and changes based on what is coming in the future. Variations in healthcare (including the training of medical students and residents) contribute to poor quality heallthcare and increased costs. The accreditation of programs will be at risk, so I doubt compliance will be a problem.

The accreditation depended on 80 hour work weeks and that didn’t stop programs from routinely violating the restrictions.

^^^ And those programs are routinely placed on probation or penalized for the violations. I would seriously question the judgment of a program director that risks the accreditation of a program by “routinely violating the restrictions”. Now days there are compliance committees in every institution, and all it takes it’s for a resident to make a toll free anonymous phone call. When the ACGME finds out, they take action.

Anyway, I understand you are an M-4. Good luck with the application process and future interviews!!

@WayOutWestMom congrats to D2 on her amazing award.

Exactly, except they don’t find out. You are correct that the programs are indeed very strict about making sure that no resident records more than 80 hours a week.

Fellowship app in, first interview invite, similar and yet way way less intense than residency, even though it is still a match situation.

@somemom, it seems never ending.

ERAS locked and loaded and ready for downloading by programs on Friday morning!

^ Hope everybody’s credit cards are locked and loaded as well! :-<

@iwannabe_Brown

Ditto here for D2. She finalized her program list Monday night and hit the send button.

After a crazy bunch of weeks where D would be in surgery all day, catch a red eye and then get off the plane to go interview, she will hear about fellowship on Oct. 4. She has a very clear number one and a bunch of I-can-make-this-work choices. Crossed fingers. Best wishes to anyone applying for anything on this endless path.

Done with 7 interviews and just 3 more to go. It has been a great experience so far …and no surprises!. I am paying attention to the department’s culture, how happy fellows are, the opportunity to work with a “mentor” in my area of interest and whether the department is growing/expanding or not. I am also looking at the vibe of the cities. I think I also have a clear number one (which I know well) but I think I would be happy at any of them. Can’t wait!

Such a different timeline. I just got my first interview invite today!

So did D2.

She also finally went out and bought her interview suit today.

Wondering about @MyOpinion 's early interviews. Would those be for a specialty that doesn’t participate in march’s national match?

I need Valium.

I’d forgotten how stressful residency application & interview season is…

^Sorry, I used up my personal stash a year ago or I’d share. :slight_smile: @WayOutWestMom

Nm

@mom2collegekids I may be mistaken but I believe myopinion is currently applying to fellowships, not residencies.

EDIT: just did a posting history stalk. Indeed they are applying for fellowships.