Residency comes next

Doximity has rankings but their methodology is essentially just reputation among some random collection of physicians that answer their surveys. The nice thing about their rankings is they have a pretty decent selection of filters so you can use their rankings to get lists of programs to consider that fit certain criteria (e.g. location in US, urban vs. rural, private vs public vs VA, etc)

@thumper1

There is nothing to dissing. Its a fact. Certain PDs do not consider DO applicants. Things may have changed in 2018.
But, you can read the NRMP’s program director survey to get an idea. It tells you what percentage of PD’s surveyed even interview DO’s at their program.

Here’s the rundown for 2012:

PM&R 97%
Psychiatry 94%
Family Medicine 93%
Pathology 91%
Pediatrics 87%
Anesthesiology 83%
Neurology 81%
Internal Medicine 79%
OB/GYN 77%
Radiology 69%
Emergency Medicine 68%
Radiation Oncology 63%
General Surgery 53%
Plastic Surgery 50%
Neurosurgery 38%
Dermatology 31%
Orthopedic Surgery 30%
ENT 28%

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2012.pdf

Inflight wifi should be bought. DS got an II while enroute on a flight.

OR

your S can give you access to his ERAS and/or email account and set up a shared google calendar so when he’s unavailable, you can respond to emails and schedule interviews for him.

D2 did that when she was in her interview cycle. She even changed the settings on my phone so I got a notification bell every time she got an email so I wouldn’t miss anything. Prior to the start of her interview season, she gave me a rough priority list so I could schedule places she was most interested in earlier and lower priority programs later. I scheduled several interview dates for her while she was traveling, physically attending other interviews, out of cell service range or otherwise unable to respond immediately.

^^^^^Same process with son. He had completed rotations early (combined program) and had taken a consulting position on the other side of the country versus the area he was applying (west coast vs east coast). He would be in meetings or with clients and needed coverage for IIs. So he did the same as WOW’s daughter, fixed my phone and emails
set up google calendar and I was able to schedule his interviews. Some II came in early am on the east coast making it 3-4 am his time.
And yes some programs schedule same day II to force applicant to choose. Son was more specific about the “fit” for his residency program apps. He was much more focused on primary care less research (although he is currently very busy with research-who knew?) more academic less community hospitals more underserved populations more diverse
more autonomy, less hand-holding. So he knew what he preferred.
Be careful for what you wish for
he is even more busy now then when he was an intern!!

Good luck to your daughter artsloverplus!!
Kat

@katwkittens

Thanks, we need it. Good luck with your son as well. Primary Care should be easy to get, wish all of them are good ones.

How true is WOWM’s statement:

“Your D is at a disadvantage as a DO applicant to some programs, particularly for academic (university) programs. These tend to prefer MD applicants and interview few or no DOs. If there are no DOs on faculty and no DOs in the residency program, your D is unlikely to get an interview there–unless there is something truly exceptional about her application.”

It turns out that all IIs D received so far has DOs on staff and has DOs in the residency, current and past. We feel lucky that we have a good number of IIs and in hope to get enough to reach a “good” match. Of the many IIs received, only two are University related, all affiliates.

For those future applicants. Be sure to apply ALL your local and regional residency programs. California is the most difficult to get, but D is local and from a Ca med school, so she is getting some. Large cities, such as NYC, LA, Chicago and SF etc, are extremely competitive, do not expect too much from there, unless you have exceptional credentials.

@artloverplus - congrats to your D on receiving the IIs. All it takes is one acceptance!

I beg to differ on the large city comment. In reality, there are many hospitals in large cities operated primarily with foreign graduate residents because they are not sought after by American school graduates. This is very true for NYC, Chicago and Houston. All one has to do is check the programs. Here are a couple of links for one hospital in NYC.

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/harlem-hospital/residency-programs/internal-medicine/our-residents

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/harlem-hospital/residency-programs/pediatrics/our-residents

So
what comes AFTER residency?

A real job that pays real money.

Yay, kid!

Finally.

@texaspg

Sorry I was not clear, I was reference to more competitive residencies. For Primary Care, the situation maybe different. One of the kid I know was able to secure a highly competitive school Primary Care Residency, even she went to the same DO school as my D, she is practicing in overseas to US patients in her US home hospital, online. Time has changed.

@WayOutWestMom Fellowship & Board Test, LOL.

BTW, the salary PGY-1 gets is only $53K (more or less), can they survive on it?

Doesn’t primary care include family medicine, internal medicine, OB-GYN, and psychiatry?

Seems to me the best residency is the one where your student doctor matches. Really beyond that
nothing else matters.

@artloversplus congratulations on your kiddo’s IIs. Wonderful news. Now
she gets to put her best foot forward
and then rank and sit on pins and needles until March 15.

@artloversplus

D1 isn’t pursuing a fellowship. (Unless she relocates overseas, but that’s a whole other story
)

No one from her program has ever failed to pass boards. So 
mostly a formality.

RE; resident’s salary-- $53K is at the national average PGY1 salary. Some programs pay less–a lot less. Like $10K less. OTOH, some pay more, substantially more. D1’s program has the highest residents salaries in the US. (Partly to offset the very high COL.)

As for whether she can live on the salary, it depends

It depends on how expensive the area is.
It depends on how much the the local state, county & city income taxes are
It depends on whether she will live alone or with a roommate/partner who will share housing costs
It depends on how picky she is about her housing. (Luxury apartment vs starving student efficiency)
It depends on what other expenses she has (car loans & maintenance, health insurance, credit card debt, commuting costs, parking, food & dining out costs, pet expenses, additional disability and malpractice insurance beyond what’s part of their benefits)
It depends on how much she wants to pay toward her student loans each month.
It depends on if she wants to participate in the group 403b (retirement) plan.

@thumper1

Primary care includes family medicine, internal medicine, OB/GYN, geriatrics and pediatrics.

Most organizations (like the National Health Service and AAMC) do not count psych as primary care.

I forgot Pediatrics
that is primary care too.

Re: living on $53,000 a year salary
can they do it? I think it depends. There are some great places with MUCH lower costs of living that would be affordable (e.g. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Phoenix). And then there are places with very high costs that are challenging (e.g. Boston, Bay Area, NYC).

I am curious to find out your experiences in out comes “prestigious” residency vs not so “prestigious” residency.

Does prestigious residency get paid more when practicing?
Will be able to choose a better location? Will be able to research in a good school or become a professor?
Will get better funding in a research project while not prestigious residency can only resort to clinical?

To answer your questions–

No

Not quite sure what you mean. But residents often tend to get their first jobs close to where they did their residency because that’s where they have most of their professional connections. However, there are national recruiters (D1 has been dealing with one.) and nationally posted job openings. Just because most residents tend to stay near their residency site doesn’t mean that a person from a distant location or lesser known residency program can’t get job in a certain desirable location. But it may be more difficult and will require more effort to do so. Jobs in popular locations tend to be more competitive to get. (Because everyone want to live there
) And they pay less. (Because everyone wants to live there.)

Getting a faculty position is difficult if you’re coming from a smaller, lesser known community program because you don’t have the teaching or administrative experience needed to be hired right out residency as teaching faculty. There’s also a whole, whole lot of politics involved in who gets an academic position. Being at a large, well connect academic center for residency makes that necessary networking easier. However, coming from a smaller community program does not preclude an eventual academic faculty position. Two of D2’s favorite preceptors (including one who is now dept chair) trained at highly regarded community programs, then as they developed specialized expertise , research & teaching experience and made professional connections were eventually hired as academic faculty. But it wasn’t a quick transition. It probably took each more than decade (and 3-4 relocations) to end up where they are today.

OTOH, most grads of academic residencies don’t end up as academic faculty either.

And please note there is a difference between being a staff physician who works for an academic hospital or its associated clinics and being hired as a member of the teaching faculty at an academic center. They are not the same job, although both work for the same employer.

Research is harder to come by at smaller and non-academic programs for several reasons–1) a lack of funding to do the research; 2) a lack of funding; 3) a lack of funding; 4) a lack of time to do research (no dedicated research blocks).

Most medical research is clinical research. Basic lab science research is the purview of MD/PhDs or PhDs, not physicians.

Translational research is a specific subset of clinical research and is most often done at large academic centers or stand alone research institutions (like Sloan Kettering) that have the funding, facilities, support personnel and adjacent basic science researchers to carry out these types of studies.

Later stage clinical trials ate held at all kinds of academic and community hospitals & clinics. But the local physicians are not the ones who are doing the data analysis and are not the ones who will be writing the papers.

DO schools also hire teaching faculty.

wowmom -Is your D1 still trying to work in another country?

@thumper1 - There are a lot more DO schools opening these days compared to MD schools where the growth is miniscule. If they primarily hire DO graduates as faculty, then it might even make more sense to do DO.

@texaspg

well
 THAT is the question.

She has a well paying job offer (she has a written contract in hand) at a teaching hospital here in the US and her hubby has been offered a program manager position w/a major player in the computer industry here in the US. Both jobs are even located reasonably close to each other–less than an hour apart. (Often a rarity with the two body problem
)

However, this week hubby’s university just matched the industry job’s salary, promoted him to a tenured full professor, plus guaranteed D1 a senior fellowship position at the premier teaching hospital in the country.

So stayed tuned
negotiations are still underway.

Thanks to all those answers.

Here is my real question:

Other than research and teaching positions. Why all applicants break their head to get into prestigious residencies?
You need a lot higher GPA, USMLE, shelf scores and better LOR to get into top tier residencies. Why chase the best(ie MGH, Stanford, UCSF etc)? If a local practice is all you wanted after all.

What makes you say that “all applicants break their head to get into prestigious residences”?

That is simply not true. Some do
and some don’t.