Residency comes next

Some small niche specialty programs (like child neurology or IM/EM or neuro/psych), that don’t get thousands of applications may tender IIs before MSPEs are uploaded.

If there are only 50 applicants for an entire specialty field, then programs may go ahead and interview all of them, whereas more common/popular specialties which have several hundred to a few thousand applicants, programs wait for MSPEs as one way to whittle the number of potential interviewees down from a thousand or more to 60-100.

D did get an interview invite yesterday. It is to a medical center attached to another medical school.

I know very little about this program, though it does appear that some of their current residents are international students, so maybe for some reason they have a hard time filling their spots with US students.

If a med student has a

Congratulations!!!

And her med school was more than fine! That’s the beauty of US med school education! All is good!

It’s hard to tell. Ive seen top programs have 1 or 2 international students per cohort. IMGs aren’t all the same. It’s one thing to have come from a strong international med school and another to come from a Caribbean med. if you’re seeing several IMGs from Caribbean meds, then likely they are having trouble filling their spots.

My son has an IMG in his cohort, but the person is from a strong foreign med school.

Some of the FMGs can be very experienced and moved here later in life started practicing at 23 and moved here at 35. I have friends who all met this requirement -graduated in India, worked in UK, Iran, South Africa etc for a decade and then applied from those countries for residency. A friend’s wife was a faculty member in India for 15 years before moving.

Re: D1’s new job. Her undergrad medical education was fine (and priced right!) , but it was where she did her residency that opened doors for her–even overseas.

@bajamm I also have a DD applying for residency! I haven’t started freaking out about it yet because I’m too busy freaking out about her wedding in 9 days. First things first!

@bajamm I have a daughter applying for residency as well! She got her first II on Monday! She was pretty shocked to get one so early. She’s on her way right now to an away rotation at one of her top choices for surgery, Prayers for a safe 15 hour drive today! @juniebug congrats to your daughter! Curious… how many programs did your girls apply to? Mine was in the high 50’s. and @WayOutWestMom SUPER HUGE CONGRATS TO YOUR DAUGHTER!!!

@moonpie My D applied to 30ish, maybe high 20’s. They are across 2 different programs, so some places got 2 applications. She also received an II on Monday and a 2nd yesterday. The one yesterday is for pediatrics at a big 10 school. I wonder if programs are deciding they don’t need the MSPE to ask for an interview, they will use it to help determine their rankings instead of determining who to interview?

I’ve always heard that once a candidate has been interviewed, ranking is more about how well the candidates fits in with the program than test scores or class rank.

This doesn’t mean the MSPE won’t be considered when drawing up the rank list. It will, but how much–or how little-- will depend on the individual program and their internal procedures. Every program is different.

Anyway…Congratulations of your D’s interviews!

The next six months until March are going to one wild ride.

Then maybe the MSPE doesn’t have a high priority at any stage if IIs are happening without it. Or only matters to highly selective specialties, which isn’t my D.

SIL is applying for fellowship, just 3 programs as he has to stay in the same city because my daughter still has almost 5 years left in her residency. The matching and anxiety seems to never end.

@bajamm

If you want to look at the aggregate attitudes about MSPEs, overall and broken down by specialty, you can take a look at this document: [Results of the 2018 NRMP Program Director Survey](https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf)

The data shows how PD rank the importance of an item both for issuing interview invitations and for ranking candidates for matching.

Re: getting IIs before the MSPE–this can also be based on the med school’s reputation w/ the residency program. (Has the program taken an applicant from the med school before? Have they done well? This can be a big factor in getting IIs. ) as well as how much back-channel communication is going on. (It’s not uncommon to have dept chair or clinical preceptor to make a phone call/send an email to a colleague to alert them to an especially promising/unique candidate.)

@CottonTales

Ah, the infamous Two Body Problem!

You have my sympathies. This can be a tough one to solve for.

I have no idea what is next. I don’t even know what the MSPE. an acronym is ?, I didn’t mean to sound dumb but, I let my kids handle everything and I stalk here to feed my neuroses. I know these things

1. Daughter is well-Ranked from step 1/2 and from rotations
  2. Applied to ‘57’ programs
  3. 1 interview so far

Since this is my first go- round with residency, no idea what to expect

@moonpie. My kid went through residency 3 years ago and I have no idea what MSPE is either. I let my kid handle everything as I am not educated and depend on the wonderful people here.

Raising a glass of Chardonnay to all who are stressing through this process.

@Moopie & @CottonTales GL to your kids.

My D wanted to be independent the day she stepped out from home for UG. So I let her handle MD admission itself. So I will have no clue what will be her interest and what and where she will apply during residency in 3 years time.

But any one interested in MPSE, here is the link to know all about it.

https://www.aamc.org/members/gsa/54686/gsa_mspeguide.html

@moonpie

Do you have two daughters…one applying to Med school and the other applying for residencies? If so…good luck to both!

What to expect?

Stress, anxiety, excitement, angst, worry, schedule juggling, lots of travel, exhaustion, more stress, more anxiety, relief or utter despair following the email announcing if they matched or not, excited anticipation while waiting for March Day, then elation, satisfaction or disappointment on Match Day itself.

It’s like applying to med school all over again–only worse because your future arrives in a sealed envelope that you open in front of an audience.

MSPE = Medical School Professional Evaluation (also known as the “Dean’s Letter” because it’s one of the med school Deans who writes it or at least signs off on it. Most MSPEs are compilations from several different individuals.)

This conveys information that includes: class rank (even at schools that are P/F); class grades (if available–and most P/F schools do actually record a grade to be used in the MSPE); clinical grades with preceptor evaluations; any disciplinary actions taken against the student; any interruptions/gaps in the student’s academics; an evaluation of the candidates professionalism, ethics, demonstrated leadership skills, community service (if applicable), research/thesis (if applicable), and other “soft factors”. Lists a student’s notable achievements–both inside and outside the classroom and hospital/clinic. Anything else the Dean or a preceptor wants to add.

@thumper1 Yes! One is applying to med school, one to residency! SO. MUCH. WINE. @WayOutWestMom THANK YOU! I knew you’d come through! I remember the oldest meeting with her dean in August for her recommendation letter. I cannot imagine the amount of money and travel expenses the girls will be blowing through in the next few months! Luckily, my older one received several scholarships this year, so that will help off-set the cost some!