Residency comes next

I believe fellows spend majority year 2 and year 3 on research (atleast at research heavy programs). my spouse did fellowship at a T5 and more time was spent on research than patient care in Y2 and Y3.

@srk2017 depends on the school and type of fellowship. There are research only fellowships in Gastroenterology and they show unfulfilled in the match listing because it is an academic track or something. Some residencies have dedicated year (UCLA - urology, neurosurgery etc) while others donā€™t. I understand Stanford internal medicine third years pretty much do research or other pursuits like tech evaluations.

More fallout from the Hahnemann closure.

Drexel University College of Medicine terminated their entire clinical staff on January 14, 2020. And 7 physicians have filed a class action breach of contract suit against Drexel COM.

Despite all sort of promises made about transferring Drexelā€™s medical residencies to Tower Hospital in Reading, Drexel has ended all its residency and fellowship programs except for Family Medicineā€“a program that was already sponsored by Tower.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/health/drexel-university-physicians-lawsuit-hahnemann-closure-20191209.html

Did Drexel have medical school students at that college of medicine???

Yes, Drexel is one of the LARGEST private medical schools in the US with 1028 medical students currently enrolled.

The only physicians not fired by Drexel are those who have classroom teaching duties for MS1-2 students.

This is just AWFUL. Iā€™m so sad for all of the physicians and residents involved!!! Iā€™m so glad my daughter never sent in her secondary.

Rank list has been submitted!!! Now we wait for 3/20/2020!!!

The USMLE has made the decision to change Step 1 to Pass/Fail. They also made two other changes.

https://usmle.org/incus/#decision

An audio podcast can be found here:

https://usmle.org/incus/#updates

What are the other two changes?

https://www.newswise.com/articles/usmle-program-announces-upcoming-policy-changes

Changing Step 1 score reporting from a three-digit numeric score to reporting only pass/fail;

Reducing the allowable number of exam attempts on each Step or Step Component from six to four;

Requiring all examinees to successfully pass Step 1 as prerequisite for taking Step 2 Clinical Skills

Iā€™m sorry, but I find it rediculous to allow even 4 attempts to pass a Step test. If it takes somebody more than 1, possibly 2 attempts due to extenuating circumstances they need to find another profession.

1 or 2 tries and tell a student thanks for playing, itā€™s been nice, find another profession, enjoy the the 1-200K of debt parting gift. Obviously thereā€™s a problem and some remediation is needed.

@Jugulator20, what was the cutoff previously for failing Step 1? Iā€™m thinking somewhere around 180 to 200? Iā€™m just appalled that somebody could score below that 3x, pass on the 4th and still move on to Step 2. Do you know if it will be known when applying to residency how many times it took to pass?

According to Wikipedia.

I donā€™t know if residencies would know how many times one took to pass Step 1. As I remember, when S was in school, they couldnā€™t start third year until they passed Step 1. So looking at when one started med school and then took Step 1 might be suggestive of a repeater??

Different schools have different policies. D took it in February of third year and some of her classmates took it in April, just before 3rd year ended. They got 6 weeks off and not everybody could be off without doing rotations at same time and so it was rolling for groups of people. We are leaving the country for Match day!

I believe all test scores are reported so residencies would see them all.

An extra year wouldnā€™t necessarily suggest a repeater. My daughter took an extra year (did research) to graduate with her now husband and do couples match.

A large percentage of students do extra years at schools like Harvard and Hopkins. Does not mean a thing other than working on improving their resume to get into hard to get residencies at top programs.

Students who joined medicine with D from her undergrad batch - she knows hardly anyone moving on to residency after 4 years like her. In fact she is competing with a lot of 5th year students in her own school for top ranked residencies in her primary care field.

@somemom is right.

Any STEP exam failures are reported to on the studentā€™s score report that residency program see.

@CottonTales --most US med schools (MD and DO) have policies in place to academically dismiss a student who fails the STEP 1 more than 2 times.

Most of the multi-time STEP 1 repeaters are IMGs/FMGs, not US medical grads.