Residency comes next

@arisamp
I guess how busy the life of a new intern will be is going to be dependent on the residency location and specialty.

Daughters on both sides of the US report things are approaching mostly normal in terms of patient volumes and types of cases being seen. Both report their hospital systems have lifted the ban on elective surgeries and electives are indeed being scheduled. (D1 is an attending at hospital system in the NE that experienced a very high CV-19 impact. D2 is in a western region that has had a much lower impact from CV-19, but her city is the epicenter for the state.)

And if thereā€™s not enough to occupy the interns the hospital can always:
a) place them on an off service rotation where its busier
b) assign them to do sim lab rotations

Interns do off service rotations and sim lab rotations anyway so itā€™s not like their education is being given the short-shrift.

A number of specialties (via their professional organizations/boards) have already announced that performance benchmarks for new residents arenā€™t going to be relaxed.

YAY!

D2 is now officially a senior resident.

Two years down; two more to go.

?

I am confused. what is a resident in 4th year labeled?

A fourth year resident is a fourth year residentā€¦ R4 or PGY4. @texaspg some residency programs are four years in length, some three years.

@texaspg

Although a first year resident (R1 or PGY1) has been traditionally called an intern, most programs longer use that term.

Instead, residents are divided into junior residents and senior residents categories. Each level has different responsibilities, duties and expectations about the the level of supervision they require, about the level of complexity of cases they can handle and about the volume of patients they can handle. They also have different levels of culpability if something goes wrong during patient care.

Any resident who has completed less than half of the number of required years for that specialty is called a junior resident.

Any resident who has completed half or more of the number of required years for that specialty is called a senior resident.

Senior residents have additional supervisory responsibilities & authority in their program. Senior residents can supervise junior residents (including interns); a junior resident cannot supervise another resident or an intern.

For a 3 year residency (IM or pediatrics, for example), R1s and R2s are junior residents. R3s are senior residents.

For a 4 year residency, R1s and R2s are junior residents, R3s and R4s are senior residents.

For a 5 year residency, R1s, R2s and R3s are junior residents, R4s and R5s are senior residents.

I have a nephew in a six year residency (in sixth year) and know a budding neurosurgeon in the 7 year program who is in the 7th year.

Mine is in a 7 year residency programā€¦ Surgery. She is through with orientation, and starts as a doctor on trauma surgery team tomorrow! She got her new driverā€™s license in her new state today! (I guess there are good things about DMVā€™s being closed for 3 months, because they are open 8:00-7:00 seven days a week!) She has finished orientation, and it is paid, so I guess she will get her first paycheck sometime next week. They only get paid once a month, so that will be good budgeting lessons. Sheā€™s a little scared about starting, but her mentor, and the person who told her ā€œyou donā€™t choose surgery, surgery chooses youā€ texted her out of the blue, and really made her feel great. Her attending on trauma is supposed to be super scary, but sheā€™s prepared for the worst, and hopes it will be OK! So excited for tomorrow!

@moonpie very exciting!! Best wishes for a great start to this residency!

D starts her residency program next week. Right now, in orientation, with most things being virtual. The ā€œinternsā€ (first year residents) have been meeting and hanging out, getting to know each other.

DD is in her second week of orientation. Much of what they are doing now is the online portions of recertifications they need to have.

But today was her first day in the hospital. They were doing training on electronic medical records and their online system. She was so excited!

The first years have done something together (at least some of them) every weekend. DD has a nice garden and this weekend she took bags and bags of fresh basil for everyoneā€¦and they were very happy!

Dā€™s in person orientation was restricted to 5 people per session and everything else is online that happens this week. She has met only one other categorical resident who will be there rest of the way and others were not going to be there after year 1. Apparently this week is normally supposed to have lots of get to know parties, none of which are happening!

D is starting her residency today!

They all started their orientaton on June 10th and had several camping/hiking/out door get togethers over the past couple of weeks.

Dā€™s husband will start looking for a job now. Hopefully something shows up for him.

Does anyone the odds for (or against) a match happening if both the hospital and student put each other as #1 on their lists? How much of a guarantee is (or isnā€™t) it? Or is that unknown?

Wellā€¦you really have no way to absolutely know if a program ranks you number 1. None at all. And and talk you hear that tells your med school student this should be taken with a big grain of salt.

But if a program ranks a kid 1 and the kid ranks that program one, the match will happen.

But donā€™t count your chickens before match day. Just donā€™t.

@WayOutWestMom

@thumper1 has it right.

Here is briefly video tutorial on how the Match works here:
https://www.nrmp.org/matching-algorithm/

Both sides submit a rank ordered list. And both sides have to mutually chose the other as their #1 choice.

If the candidate ranks a program #1 AND the program ranks the candidate #1, then itā€™s a MATCH! The candidateā€™s place is guaranteed and they cannot be displaced by another candidate. (Since no else can be ranked higher than 1 by the program.)

But PDs, APDs and in fact ALL members of a residency program are forbidden by the NRMP rules from telling a candidate where s/he stands in a programā€™s rankings. Communicationā€“back channel or otherwiseā€“with candidate about ranking can get the program sanctioned or even banned from the Match. People lose jobs over stuff like that.

Good to know, thanks.

FWIW, no one has told anyone this. I was just asked the question by H and figured I could come here to get answers. I didnā€™t know just how random the match was.

Watch that video. It explains the match process very well

I had H watch it with me - definitely helpful. Iā€™ve also bookmarked it so I can share it with anyone else if needed in the future.

I donā€™t have a linkā€¦but there is also a YouTube that explains the match process very well. My kid and her Med school classmates found it very helpful. Maybe you could just do a google search for it if no one else here has it.

The kid ranking someone as #1 is quite clear since we know the kid. There is no such thing as program ranking someone as #1 since no one would have access to that list and anything anyone knows really is hearsay outside of whoever is submitting that list. Unless you are the program director with the list you turned in, there is no way we can put much trust in someone telling you they ranked you number 1.

You also have to consider the number of spots for the residency at that program. If the program has 50 spots for internal medicine and you are ranked in the top 50, the program did rank you number 1 because they are using you in their available 50 spots and everyone in the top 50 also ranked the program their number 1 then it is a perfect match. However, if the school has only one spot for a program like radiational oncology, then it makes a real #1 to #1 match.