Revisit days - how important are they?

I would say not important, but then my kiddo applied Covid year, site unseen, never visited, never set foot on campus until August drop off. Loves it. :joy:

1 Like

Spring break this year basically starts on M10. Would the schools be offering revisit dates as soon as the week directly following M10? Like between March 13 - March 17?

1 Like

Where do you see this? I cant find it

Looking at social media you can see many dates for previous years. I have been seeing 3 weeks anfter M10 and the week prior to A10 being common offerings last year.

1 Like

I had one do revisit, one during the shutdown and one in a semi revisit - more like and open house, outdoor only.

IMO very important.

1 Like

ah ok. yes when i tried to look for dates from the previous years, i found them to be aligned with what you are saying
 i had hopes that we could do some visits during Spring Break if my kid gets in somewhere
 i guess i will need to take the kid out of school to go on visits

1 Like

We are dealing with the same thing. And being 8000+ miles away. It’s not a quick flight, but at least 2, if not 3, flights to get to these schools. I think we have finally come to the decision that if our daughter is accepted to multiple schools, we will just have to go with the virtual events we have attended to get a sense as we cannot ask her to take a week off of school to travel to do revisits. She was able to visit all of her schools during a trip to the US this summer, but no classes were in session and only a couple of them had student tour guides (day students). One school did say they would work with her for revisits and set her up with a virtual day with a student, which I thought was really nice.

1 Like

I dont live in the same states as where the schools are but it’ll still be a short flight so I hope I’ll have a chance to revisit? but it is unlikely this will actually happen

Maybe they will have some virtual activities as well? It feels like, with Covid, all schools got pretty good at doing those things and understanding the value to families. Or, perhaps your schools would do something like what I mentioned above, where one of my daughter’s schools said they would set her up with a student that would give her a personal, virtual visit day as she went to breakfast and classes and things.

1 Like

well they defly will (like even now they do)
But i just think it feels different thats all

Definitely different! No question. I really wish my daughter had the chance to interact with students at any of the schools in a more honest and open way than these virtual sessions. But, it is what it is.

1 Like

@RoonilWazlib99 depending on M10 outcomes maybe planning to just visit 2, maybe 3, of her top choices would suffice. With such a narrow window of campuses out on Spring Break for a period between M10 and A10, I’d think many dates would fall to the end of March and overlap with other schools to begin with. All day events would never be conducive to visits to tons of schools for revisits especially if you have some distance to travel between those schools. Even living in New England, we may have quite a few schools here but someone may have to go from outside of Boston to upstate NY, then down to Virginia and finally back to Boston. Probably not feasible in a week even if dates could actually line up. So many schools still have a lot of virtual events lined up still so even if she can’t make a couple in person, maybe some of the schools would still have virtual offerings.

I think this is the way we are going to go. With the time it takes to travel the 8000+ miles just to get to the US, not even including traveling to different schools, she would have to miss a full week of school, even if it were just for 1-2 revisit days. I think, for our family, it makes more sense to hope the schools will offer some sort of virtual receptions and events for the kids that live really far away.

3 Likes

We are in the “Revisit Days are Very Important” camp.

If your kid is an Athlete, Speech and Debater, Robotics or Math kid, Artist or Musician: a well-organized school will have kids from these areas spend the day with your child/family. Yours will get a good feel for those they will be spending a lot of time with over the next 3-4 years.

Parents will get a chance to meet the Head of School and/or senior leadership, and meet other prospective parents and kids.

If there is any feasible way at all to attend 2-3 of your family’s top choices, I encourage you to do so.

Even if you have only one school choice - go visit if possible and only if it doesn’t stretch your finances too much. Your kid will be psyched until September.

5 Likes

I agree that they are really important. Often, it just becomes obvious which of the many excellent options is “the one”. And just as often, which one is not! So if you’re thinking of skipping because it’s inconvenient, don’t. And it’s true, it can make the fall less scary and something to look forward to.

But for someone like @RoonilWazlib99, for whom it is extremely difficult – not domestic! – schools will do their best to help you figure out who they are. They all do this better post-covid. So if it really can’t be done and you make the effort to connect, you’ll still be able to make a good decision.

4 Likes

Another thing to keep in mind many (not all) of the NE prep schools have spring break for much of March (2-3 weeks). Re-visit days will likely not happen until the kids are back on campus. So even if they don’t have the re-visit days posted, check the school calendar for when spring break ends. That will at least help narrow down the “window of opportunity.” My daughter’s current school is on break from March 10 through March 27. 2 of her friends (at 2 different schools) are on break from March 3 - 27.

8 Likes

The more you pay, the less you go.

4 Likes

3 kids last year - 2 applied to boarding schools (9th and 11th grades); 1 applied to college; thanks to covid and regulations on travel in our country of residence (singapore)
no one saw any school/college in person until drop off date in August. All 3 are happy with their choices -

9th grader decided bw 2 boarding schools; 11th grader bw 4 boarding schools; current college freshman decided among 6 schools

2 Likes

I’m noticing more and more schools are posting their set Revist Days under their Admission Events (just FYI).

4 Likes

We will struggle with revisit days. My dd’s boarding school is off March 4-20. 3 schools will release acceptances during that time so we may be able to visit some when I drive her back to school. But her school is 9 hours away, and I don’t have unlimited vacation days or $. Driving 9 hours to pick her up for revisit days is not feasible. And we don’t have the $ to be flying all over the place. We may have to rely on a few self tours during Spring break and family weekend at the end of April. We have only visited one of the 7 we are waiting to hear from. She chose her boarding school during Covid and never saw it until drop off.