Rhodes vs. Alabama Honors

<p>I am stuck in a rut in deciding between Rhodes and the Alabama Honors College (Polisci major).</p>

<p>Both schools cost the same, but obviously, one is 18 times the size of the other.
I like the size and community feel of Rhodes, but like the breadth of opportunities at Bama, both academically and extracurricularly.</p>

<p>I do not want to be limited by a lack of opportunities (Rhodes), but don’t want to feel voiceless and insignificant at Bama. I’m not asking anyone to make the choice for me, but what I’m asking is: How did you (or someone you know) make up this tough decision?</p>

<p>I think I will quote our son on this one. He wanted to go to school where the “possibilities were endless and the school invested time, talent and funds” in the student. He gave up several full ride scholarships including one funded by a multi-millionaire who becomes their mentor during and after the college years. </p>

<p>A few examples of the investment we have found: UA involves the student in the research and they allow the student to be published. That is impressive in and of itself. Usually there is no mention of the work of the student. In his field, UA has co-op and other opportunities that are now internationally based. Other countries are understanding what we just realized. Some professors have the class to their homes for dinner - that personifies involvement. Finally at UA, professors tell a student “Dream bigger” - and then fund them to do just that. At the same time I have seen wholistic development of the student and it is beyond just academics…</p>

<p>You have your entire life in front of you. Your heart, your mind and your personality factor into this decision. We can tell by your post that you already know that. Our son chose UA because for him, that was the thrilling campus (and we have looked at and toured many across this nation). It was the place that felt like the exciting fit that would push him to aspire and because UA was the campus where his prayers started with “thank you God” instead of “please…”</p>

<p>Tiger, find what qualities are most important to you in a college. Write down these criteria and decide which school best fits your dreams. If you are unsure where the University stands on that particular criteria, call the department head for your major and ask them. See which one is most receptive. Research their remarks with any available statistics. The choice will become clear to you.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>The Honors college at Alabama is absolutely the close knit, small community that I believe you are looking for. It definitely seems to give that small college feel within such a large University. I’m an incoming freshman too, so I can only go by what I’ve seen and been told for now, but the small feel of the Honors College was one of the biggest reasons why I chose bama. Classes are smaller, students know each other, and the staff is so welcoming and helpful. I visited the University and specifically the Honors College in January, and it really set my mind at ease. They made me forget that there were 30,000 students, and made me feel like I was at a school like Rhodes or some other small institute. They showed me that they were there to help, and that was really important to me. It might partly have to do with their southern hospitality, but they definitely made me feel like I was a part of their community, their honors college community, and maybe that’s just what you’re looking for. </p>

<p>So, check out the Honors college and see what you think.</p>

<p>I hope this helps a little, and good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>I don’t think anyone at Bama feels like just a number or without a voice…especially in honors. </p>

<p>I completely agree with the posts above.</p>

<p>TigerHawk: my D had acceptances to both Rhodes & UA as well. She liked Rhodes but ultimately felt like it would feel too small too quickly. One of the phrases we’ve heard was “you can make a big school feel smaller (by being in an Honors College, by getting involved in your major etc.) but you can’t make a small college feel bigger.” D decided that she wanted the “whole college experience” and didn’t think she could get that at Rhodes. </p>

<p>Having said that, there are a few of her acquaintances from HS at Rhodes and they all seem to feel they made a good choice. You may want to look at some threads from the poster Curmudgeon, whose D went to Rhodes (turning down Yale.) </p>

<p>I’m assuming you’ve spent time on both campuses. Did one of them feel more like “home?” Is there a significant difference in the merit/financial aid from UA to Rhodes?</p>

<p>*One of the phrases we’ve heard was “you can make a big school feel smaller (by being in an Honors College, by getting involved in your major etc.) but you can’t make a small college feel bigger.” *</p>

<p>I agree with that. </p>

<p>I, too, liked Rhodes as well. A friend of my son is graduating from there in May. However, I agree with the sentiment that you can’t make a small school larger. To me, you just have a lot more choices at a larger school…more majors, more classes, more choices of profs, etc. </p>

<p>The option of having more choices of profs is very important to me. Smaller colleges often only have one prof teaching each course, so if you know that a prof isn’t very good or you just don’t like a particular prof, you can’t avoid taking him.</p>

<p>Honors colleges do “shrink” a big school. The class sizes are smaller. And, even in non-honors, many classes aren’t big…especially in upper division levels. My kids have small classes as upper division students. </p>

<p>Even if you think that you won’t care/want the big football hoopla, don’t be surprised if you catch the fever at Bama. My older son had little (really no) interest in football before coming to Bama. However, he quickly became a big fan. Does it interfere with studies? No. Even the most dedicated students aren’t “nose to the grindstone” with their books from Friday night to Monday morning…everyone needs to “take an academic break” for a few hours on a weekend just to regroup and revive. </p>

<p>Roll Tide…you won’t regret it.</p>

<p>What is your major?</p>

<p>I will echo what the others have said. D decided that at Bama she would have the best of both worlds - large university resources and small honors college community and she has never regretted her decision.<br>
good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback so far!</p>

<p>@RobD: I haven’t been able to visit either of these schools. We live several hours away from these schools. I can’t afford the air fare myself, and my parents won’t allow me to visit. They say it’s too expensive to fly, when “we’ll have to go right back for orientation.” This means I can’t physically judge how large/small a school feels, or if it feels right to me. </p>

<p>That’s why I’m here—as a last resort, trying to reason and make a sound decision. And right now, I’m leaning heavily towards Bama, but want to make sure there’s no chance of uncertainty or regret with my decision.</p>

<p>When my son first started his college search, he was leaning towards a smaller campus. After many school visits he realized that there were more opportunities in a larger university.</p>

<p>Best of both worlds: Honors College at UA</p>

<p>He has never looked back! I can say that the opportunities are there if you choose to pursue them.</p>

<p>My top 2 schools were Rhodes and UA. Of the schools I applied to/got into (those plus Furman, Millsaps, Howard, Vanderbilt), I was only confident that I would really and truly enjoy, with no regrets, my time at either Rhodes or UA.</p>

<p>It’s a tough call, but I have the advantage of UA costing significantly less. Rhodes is definitely cool though. Ultimately I’m glad that I get the best of both worlds: The big state school traditional college experience and the super focused liberal arts college-style community in honors.</p>

<p>I will say, if you’re at all interested in medicine (not sure how set you are on polisci), the work that Rhodes does with St. Jude’s is pretty impressive. Besides that, though, UA will ensure that you will meet throngs of fantastic new people, offer you countless opportunities, and be an unbelievable experience. I’m from Montgomery, where everyone’s always whining about getting out of the state and how they don’t want to go to Auburn or Alabama… but I have NEVER known anyone who went to UA and regretted it.</p>

<p>Also, I’ve been on the UA campus numerous times throughout high school and it’s never felt like there were 30,000 people there. Except on game days. But that’s a whole nother story… and that’s something that you 'll definitely want to be a part of!</p>

<p>TigerHawk,</p>

<p>Try not to get too worked up over the decision. You can distinguish yourself and prepare for a career at either school. College will be what you make of it.</p>

<p>My son will be attending Alabama in the Fall and couldn’t be more excited about it. He was also leery of the size of the school but once he visited those fears simply melted away. His impression is that the honors community at Alabama provides a ‘small college’ feel within the context of the bigger University. The benefits of having more opportunities at a larger school may be a big plus if you were to change your mind regarding your major.</p>

<p>It truly is a shame that you can’t visit either school. You might like to look at some of the threads on this board of those that have visited. My son felt that the dorms at UNC and NC State did not come close to the honors suites at Alabama. I know nothing of the facilities at Rhodes.</p>

<p>Make the best decision you can with the information at hand. You’ll find the folks on this board to be a tremendous resource if you decide to attend Alabama. Wherever you land, enjoy your college experience!</p>

<p>That’s too bad you can’t visit before hand. I’m a big believer in getting your feet on the ground. Having said that though, have you taken the virtual tours on both websites? How many students are in your high school?</p>

<p>TH,
My S is at a small prep school, 75 in the sr. class, very small classes. I wrongly assumed he would like a small college environment. He didn’t like any of the small colleges we visited. I think the smallest he applied to was 5000 students and he chose Bama. I think it was all the opportunities at Bama hat sold him.
Good luck with your decision.</p>

<p>TigerHawk, </p>

<p>I agree with the others that while you can make a large school feel smaller, you can’t make a small school feel larger. UA may have 30,000+ students, but I’m only regularly around 300-500 of them. On the other hand, with 30,000+ students you can always meet someone new. </p>

<p>I encourage every student to take advantage of the opportunities offered to them. Look at the events posted around campus and see what interests you. Don’t be afraid to attend events not geared towards your specific major or to try something new. College is truly what you make of it and I’m sure that you’d do well at either school.</p>

<p>As a Certified Helicopter Mom and as our home school’s Guidance Counselor / School Secretary, I have written (so far) to two of my son’s prospective profs – one history professor and one classics professor. Both wrote back sooooo graciously that it about took my breath away. Mom2collegekids once said that UA profs “LOVE LOVE LOVE” the students. This is so true!! I’m sure there are some duds – every school has them – but, so far, in my experience at least, these profs really care about the kids and are really invested in their welfare and success.</p>

<p>RTR!</p>

<p>Lady Di, I love all the hats you wear! Not only a helicopter mom, but a CERTIFIED one! I am not unfamiliar with the chop-chop-chop sound, but I am still working on my certification. :)</p>

<p>LOL, azc! I was going to add “Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.” But my DH does most of the cooking. I can boil water and fry bacon, and that’s about it!</p>