ROTC and Nursing

<p>I know a young man, who is a junior in high school and is seriously considering a career in nursing. To help pay for his education, he is considering enrolling in ROTC. He said that he wouldn't mind giving a number of years to one of the armed services since the service would give him a chance to travel, to pay for his education, to earn money for an advanced degree. etc</p>

<p>He said that he heard the the nursing program in ROTC (all three branches) is different than regular ROTC. Is that true? If so, is it because nursing is traditionally thought of as a women's profession. As a man in nursing, would he have to undergo traditional ROTC or nursing ROTC. If anyone knows anything, he and I would be most appreciative. Thank you.</p>

<p>My daughter is currently a senior and is going to major in Nursing beginning in the Fall of 2010. She is also applying for ROTC Scholarships. </p>

<p>I think the young man who is considering a career in nursing has some incorrect information or perhaps just has it slightly twisted.</p>

<p>“the nursing program in ROTC (all three branches) is different than regular ROTC”</p>

<p>Not quite correct. After you graduate from college and get your commission, you will be part of the Nurse Corp. which is different than regular Army, Air Force or Navy officers. While you are in college (ROTC) you will do the same things as the other ROTC students but during the Summer you will sometimes receive different training. Nursing students are given special consideration in regards to their school schedules because of the demands of their clinical hours and the lack of flexibility in scheduling classes. Regardless of his being a male nursing student he will take the same ROTC classes as his female peers and the same Summer training.</p>

<p>One last (unsolicited) piece of advice…He shouldn’t join ROTC just to get his college paid for. It is unlikely to be a pleasant experience for him if it is not something that he seriously (patriotically) believes in and wants to be a part of. Just my opinion…</p>