Nrotc and Nursing

<p>Hello everyone, I am going to be a seinor at a very prestigious private high school, and I am interested in being a nursing major. I am filling out the ROTC navy application for nusing and am very excited but nervous about the colleges I can and can't get into. My Gpa is a 3.7, ACT is a 27 ( math 26 reading 29), I am planning on retaking so it could go up. My SAT is a 580 reading and a 620 math. I have taken 6 honors and ap couses combined. I have been on the varsity tennis team for 4 years(wasAll star Athlete for leage) , I am editor in cheif of a literary Magazine, and I am very invovled with our schools volunteer club, Children of Mary, I will be Vice President this coming year. I have had a summer job this summer as well. </p>

<p>The schools I am looking at for NROTC are, Georgetown, Boston College, Pitt, ( I recently heard Penn has a good nursing program that isn't to hard to get into), and I am not sure where else to add, not all schools have nursing and ROTC.</p>

<p>Others schools I am looking at (not NROTC) are Clemson, Richmond, JMU, Providence, and Wake Forest. </p>

<p>One of my main questions would be if NROTC helps with admissions to any of these reach schools of mine, that have well known nursing programs </p>

<p>I also plan to write awesome essays! Thanks so much for your feed back!</p>

<p>" I recently heard Penn has a good nursing program that isn’t to hard to get into"</p>

<p>Huh??? You clearly “heard wrong” on this…</p>

<p>also check out Villanova for Nursing :</p>

<p>NROTC
The Villanova Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) Program mission is to develop midshipmen mentally, morally and physically and to imbue them with the highest ideals of duty, and loyalty, and with the core values of honor, courage and commitment in order to commission college graduates as naval officers who possess a basic professional background, are motivated toward careers in the naval service, and have a potential for future development in mind and character so as to assume the highest responsibilities of command, citizenship and government.[40]</p>

<p>Villanova NROTC is part of the Philadelphia NROTC Consortium; consisting of Villanova University and University of Pennsylvania (including the cross town agreements with Drexel and Temple University). Located in Commodore John Barry Hall, it is institution that has been a part of the University since World War Two. The battalion consists of more than 90 Navy and Marine Corps midshipmen under the advisement of a staff of highly trained and motivated Navy and Marine Corp Officers and Senior Enlisted. Known for its dedication to excellence, motivation, and pride, the NROTC unit has provided our nation with the finest Navy and Marine Corps Officers for over 50 years.</p>

<p>Midshipmen in the Villanova NROTC program are required to take specific Navy and Marine Corps classes, wear their service’s uniform on Tuesdays, attend physical training events, participate in extra-curricular programs that range from sports teams to rifle-shooting, and adhere to the basic premise that “a midshipman does not lie, cheat, or steal”. By the time their four years have come to a close, these values have been deeply ingrained into each midshipman, and they know what it means to be a commissioned officer and a Villanovan. Thousands of midshipmen have gone through this experience to join the ranks of what can be considered the “extended” Villanova community in the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. Although times have changed as well as the specifics of training, the program remains largely unchanged from the program that has descended from World War Two.</p>

<p>Since its inception in the summer of 1946, the NROTC unit on campus has produced 22 Admirals and Generals in the United States Navy and Marine Corps. At one point, there had only been two four-star generals in the U.S. Marine Corps, one of them the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and they had both been graduates of Villanova NROTC. In 2004, the commanders of both U.S. Naval Forces Atlantic (Admiral William J. Fallon)and U.S. Naval Forces Pacific (Admiral Walter F. Doran)were Villanova NROTC graduates.[41][42] Admiral Fallon was later assigned as Commander, U.S. Central Command from March 2007 to March 2008. ADM Fallon was the first Navy officer to hold that position. [43]</p>

<p>

I agree with qdogpa; Penn is not easy to get into. My daughter applied and was denied with a higher GPA and better SAT/ACT scores than the ones you have currently. Perhaps your essays and ECs with be more attractive to Penn than hers, or maybe Penn wants you to play tennis…anything is possible. But please don’t think getting admitted to Penn is easy…it is not.</p>

<p>Of course instead of Penn if you meant Penn State U…that is another case entirely.</p>

<p>Seems as though you have some very good schools on your list. The only advice I can give you is to apply early (now). I do not think that NROTC helps you with admissions to a college (unless you’re applying to a SMC) but it will definitely help with tuition, books and a monthly stipend. Good luck.</p>

<p>No I really had no idea about the Penn nursing program, I had just heard a rumor that most people who wanted to go into the medical world that went to penn all just majored in pre med and that they often lacked people to fill their nursing major, I was obviously wrong but Im glad I checked thanks guys</p>

<p>Very few schools “just fill in” their nursing programs…Any decent program “chooses” whom they’d like in their program</p>

<p>“seinor”
“nusing”
“couses”
“leage”
“cheif”
“invovled”
“to hard to get into”</p>

<p>I have a huge headache reading this.</p>

<p>too funnie?? lol</p>