S21--not an easy path, happy to get some input at this stage

@RockySoil thanks! I’m not familiar with Coastal Carolina. I’ll definitely check it out.

We finally did a “visit” with St. Bonaventure tonight. It’s a no go for him.

It’s a school I’ve had in mind for him for a long time because it checked a lot of boxes, but again, the information session reminds me how important it is to check in beyond the website and what checks a box offline.

From the start tonight the discussion centered on the faith-based focus of the school. He’s looked at other religiously based schools and is on board with them and what they stand for–Xavier as an example. But hearing that faith was woven into the curriculum at St. Bona’s took it off his list. We asked at the end what the experience would be like for a non-religious student and the response was “it’s not FORCED on anyone who doesn’t want to practice” For DS, hearing it’s imbedded throughout class curriculum means it’s forced whether forced to attend Mass or not.

The right school for many but not DS. The good news is that he’s getting even clearer on what he’s open to. And not.

It likely would take St. Anselm off the list as well. But a St. Michael’s might work.

Was going to say Coastal Carolina in addition to College of Charleston!
What about Eckerd, in Florida? May be a bit reachy but within reach. Still with a beach theme, Southern Miss aka University of Southern Mississippi :slight_smile: and Virginia Wesleyan (both matches).

Have you looked at Guilford College in Greensboro NC? It’s one of the “Colleges That Change Lives” and on my dd22’s list. Also UNC-Greensboro. I think Guilford seems like the kind of college that would really help with his anxiety and exec functioning. I think they seem very supportive. It has a Quaker heritage, but is not overly religious. Pretty diverse and liberal. They do have sports, but that is not an interest of my D22 so can’t tell you more about that. Roanoke College is also on our list and to me they have some similarities.

You could check out UNC-Wilmington if you are looking for a coastal school. It is not right at the beach, but close and the students go there a good bit. It did not feel right to D22, but might for you.

I can’t think of any SC schools my D is interested in. Maybe check out Wofford? Too conservative for my D, but might be good for your student?

I just want to say that I appreciate this thread and all the care you have taken (OP) to find the right fit for your son. These are schools that are not always on someone’s radar, and I’m glad to see them discussed. I’m anxious to follow along. I’ve visited College of Charleston and loved it, and am also familiar with LaSalle and a few of the other schools. Best of luck!

I know someone at Uni of South Carolina Beaufort who loves it there. Although it is largely in state students. Says everyone is very friendly though.

As for Xavier, I do work for Jesuit and Im not religious, not baptized but they still hired me so I dont feel its overly churchy. :slight_smile:

So much great information from everyone! Thank you all.

@MYOS1634 thanks for following along this whole time. Florida is out for him. We are not a hot weather people. :smiley: He opened up to SC because we’ve been to Charleston before and he liked it but he said no further south than that. Which will take Mississippi out of the running too. Eckerd is on the list of a friend’s DD and looks like a great place. I’ll take a look at Virginia Wesleyan. Don’t know anything about it yet!

@Sweetgum Guilford is new to me and so will take a look at that too. Greensboro is a great area! Wofford is one I looked at a while ago but feels too reachy for him and he’s already got a few of those on the list.

@HighTide2020 thank you–I’m glad this is helpful for someone other than us! Finding the right place (though many filters) is important for every kid. And there are many right places for every kid. I talked with him last night about College of Charleston and he’s intrigued. I think we’ll likely set up an online session with them.

@2plustrio totally agree about Xavier and that was his take as well. He liked the impact of the Jesuit tradition on the school and how it came to life (very community focused) but never felt that he’d be on the outside as a person not of faith. That seems to be the nuance he’s drawing as he looks around.

Charleston gets plenty hot, though, but he probably wouldn’t be there during the hottest months.

I have a real fondness for Guilford. It is definitely worth a look. I wish the area around the school was more fun, but if he drives there are a lot of fun areas of Greensboro. Check out Tate Street adjacent to UNC-G while you’re touring (virtual or in person). Guilford is small, but seems to be a very nurturing place and they do have Division III sports if he wants to continue to play. It is also test optional even during non-COVID times and low pressure, but they want to help every student be the best they can be. It was also a stop on the Underground Railroad so some interesting history there.

UNC-Greensboro is not too hard to selective, but has some great programs, too. We have looked at it and it is on my D22’s list. It’s a pretty big school so I’m not sure of the supports in place for his anxiety, etc, but it’s not a high pressure school. They have fantastic arts programs and also good science and education.

I just can’t think of a South Carolina school my D22 is interested in, but maybe we will look at COC again. Right now she wants to go to university in the UK!

@ububumble

At Jesuit, I wont lie and there is mention of God or prayer in many of the written pamphlets. But working there, they are way more left leaning than conservative right and they are open to all religions. I would not work anywhere that forced their beliefs on me. I would quit in a hot second if at any time I felt judged for who I was. There have been issues with racism in the past with individuals and I feel good about the work my college is doing to fix it. They aren’t hiding and pretending it doesnt exist but actively open and saying lets work together to stop this nonsense and make this school great for everyone.

I too like that they tend to be community focused and encourage service work but they aren’t social justice warriors either. I teach there because I do feel they want students to be intelligent, well rounded people willing to give back to their communities and just do good in the world.

(and again, I do not work at Xavier so I can’t speak to their organization specifically but just talking about Jesuit in general).

What sport? Why doesn’t he want to play D2?

My daughter played D2 and there are a number of smaller schools in the south that have competitive teams. Limestone, Belmont Abbey, Queens are all nice.

Coastal Carolina is D1 and a bigger school. It’s nice.

@twoinanddone he plays soccer and basketball. Soccer is the sport he’d be interested in continuing if possible. DII isn’t on the table for playing because, frankly, he’s not good enough. With this fall season a mess, he knows he’d have to have the opportunity to try out somewhere and DIII makes it most possible he could get a spot on the team.

If DII teams have club options, that’s interesting to him. But it’s very hit or miss whether that’s available.

Sports aren’t the end all, be all for him in his choice but would be a tipping point in favor of one school or another at the end. And playing has been the constant that helped keep him focused in school so he’s not ready to lose it just yet.

Well we “visited” College of Charleston today. A BIG hit. Thanks to all who suggested it.

He loved the whole vibe of the place, the way they talked about majors and what can come out of them. He loved the diversity. He loved the approach to admissions–holistic–given the size and a state school. He really liked the campus even though it’s not as contained as he’s said he’d prefer before. Charleston is a more approachable city for him and so the integration with the campus feels do-able. He loved that there was no one from SC, NC or Georgia on the call–while we know that’s a crap shoot–reinforced for him that it’s a school drawing from a broad geography of students.

He knows is a bit of a reach for him but he’s in to apply.

Can’t thank you all enough for bringing it up as an option.

Well, onto the next stage and senior year.

He has a final list of schools he’ll apply to. He’s done with finding new schools and I respect that. S21 has done a tremendous amount of work to get to this list, to learn more about what he wants and what he doesn’t want. Today he officially threw out all of the mail he’s received from other schools. :wink:

He’s targeting:

Western New England University
Roanoke College
Salve Regina University
Endicott College
LaSalle University
Xavier University (OH)
College of Charleston
Wichita State University

None are guarantees but all are possible. And he knows that. He’s completed the common app. Has a close to final draft of his essay. Will just wait to get first quarter grades in order to finish telling the story he started last year–one of continued upward improvement. He requested recommendations last spring and knows two of them are done.

His October SAT was just cancelled. That makes four dates cancelled for him. He’s said he’s not going to take it at this point–IF we could even get a seat in November and IF it even happened. He wants to focus all of his energy on starting the year strong at school. No SAT scores for him and I’m okay with that.

Just last week they announced that fall sports would happen, albeit in a VERY modified form. He’s thrilled just to be on the field and to have soccer to help give his days definition as they are fully remote at school at least through mid-October.

He’s got his desk cleared off and materials ready to start.

I’ve simply never seen him this self-motivated.

Now, please, let some of these schools see and feel what kind of a kid he is and give him a chance since he’s finally given himself one.

Senior year–fired up, ready to go.

1 Like

I’m so glad he liked Charleston (at least virtually). I think it is a wonderful city and manageable in a way other places might not be. Onward to senior year and we’ll see how all this leads for your son and the family. I know someone who is a professor at Roanoke and she loves the place. Also a manageable city with beautiful surroundings.

I would also recommend looking at Winthrop in South Carolina. It is in Rock Hill, just south of Charlotte. It is a state school with solid programs in both education and sciences.

It’s a good year to apply to Salve. They missed this year’s enrollment target by 4-5%. While some of this is due to deferrals, their summer melt was noteworthy. No doubt they will accept more applicants this year to try to hedge against that happening again.

I adored Salve for ds20, but he went in a different direction. It was more of a safety for him, but it’s a match or maybe a reach for ds22, depending upon how this junior year goes. We are headed there with him for a tour in late October. Fingers crossed he likes it, because I think it’s a fabulous place for him. He’s a bright kid on an upward trend, but EF issues abound. It’s small, supportive, and in a beautiful setting. Have you thought about Plymouth State in NH? It’s on our list as well.

@CTCape I hope your son enjoys the visit to Salve in October. That visit last fall is what did it for S21. He was able to hear first hand they were going to start a new secondary education/chemistry focus in addition to just biology which made it even more of a winner for him.

S21 looked at Keene State in NH, in person visit last fall. He thought it would work but the biggest plusses he came up with after the tour were free laundry and some other random thing. :wink: He said it was somewhere he would think of if he didn’t find other places he liked. And then he found those places.

I looked into Plymouth State for him–I like the school and overall think it would be a good environment for him but they don’t offer secondary education with a science focus. So, for that reason, it came off the list before ever going to him for consideration.

His specific choices in so many areas have made the list to consider a lot smaller but it also helps because there are so many wonderful schools out there. Having some clear reasons to say “not right for me” have made the process feel less overwhelming for him I think.

@ProfSD thanks for the insight. I sure hope it works that way. He’ll use all the extra chances he gets!