S21 Wesleyan vs. Haverford vs. Bates vs. Hamilton

As we are posting photos, here are some of Bates.

Hathorn Hall in winter:

Petengill and Lake Andrews (aka The Puddle)

Some kids after the Puddle Jump. Note the snow.

3 Likes

I like how Wesleyan mixes the old with the new:

Ok @merc81 and @Lindagaf, you got me— I’m a visual learner. A sucker for photos. And there is no clear winner here; two truly beautiful campuses. Props to those Bates students for taking that icy plunge!

1 Like

You too, @circuitrider! You guys are killing me. :wink: Wesleyan’s architecture is eclectic…and kind of cool? Brutalism, much maligned, is even making a comeback.

1 Like

I think @FullCircle has ruled out Haverford, but I had to represent alma mater. The campus is an arboretum so it’s spectacular in the spring

Lovely in the fall

Charming in the winter (which is milder and shorter than in NE)

And home to the only varsity-level cricket team in the US.

7 Likes

Interestingly, as far as I know, Wesleyan describes its notable departures from neoclassical and neomedieval architecture as mid-20th century modernism. I’ve enjoyed the photos people have shared as well, particularly with respect to their selection. @gotham_mom, for example, decided to portray Haverford without a reliance on a photo of its appealing, but familiar, Founders Green. If I were to add an image to that group, I’d include one of Haverford’s observatory:

I’m glad your son appreciated his exchange at Bates. This seems to indicate he has been researching all of his choices on a substantive basis. Wishing him good health as he makes this important decision.

2 Likes

With respect to natural surroundings, don’t overlook Hamilton’s Root Glen. It’s open to the public, but literally part of campus. These 17 photos make it seem like a world apart:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47494-d6583105-Reviews-Root_Glen-Clinton_New_York.html

3 Likes

@FullCircle , we’re doing out best to woo you, but I guess it’s your kid we need to woo😆

3 Likes

10 year olds make car buying decisions by coercing their parents to “see” the value of the options. Parents return the favor for college.

5 Likes

@gotham_mom and @apple23 coming in over the top! Absolutely beautiful photos.
It’s good I’m not making this decision because I don’t think I could make it. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I know when D was deciding between different LACs, she was able to get the AO to give her the name and number of a current student with similar interests who would be willing to chat with her. While I doubt the AO would volunteer a student who they know is not positive about their school, at least she was able to figure out if there was at least 1 person who would click with her.

In any event, congrats, probably cannot make a bad decision.

1 Like

Great idea, @BKSquared re: AOs. Some AOs are more responsive than others, but overall they are good resources for all kinds of info.
To me it makes sense for AOs to participate in this stage of the process too, as they’ve read your application, know the type of kid you are, etc., and therefore understand who on campus might be the most helpful when it comes to questions.

Today, a friend of a friend put S21 in touch with a recent grad from his HS who is a current Wesleyan sophomore. She loves it.

1 Like

Our D has 3 finalists and reached out directly to professors at each of the schools in her area of interest, and all of them got back to her quickly and enthusiastically. They gave her helpful information (in email and all offered to connect by phone/Zoom) and offered to put her in touch with a student or alum in her area of interest.

I’m not sure if/how this would work at bigger schools, but as I told her, if she goes to any of these small schools, there are often maybe a dozen professors in each department. It was not hard to find someone whose area of expertise is most closely aligned with her interests. Our D was reticent to reach out, but she’s so glad she did.

9 Likes

Interesting, @kbm770. I would not have thought to contact professors directly.
That those profs took the time to speak with your D—and did so eagerly—is another reason why many of these small schools are so special.

3 Likes

My D21 has Bates and Wes on her shortlist and is WL at Haverford. So much useful info on this thread.

Reaching out to professors does help to provide more information. My D was successful with her efforts and was v interested in what they had to offer.

4 Likes

S21 finally made his decision: It’s Wesleyan!

There were many things S liked about all four schools, and given his personality—friendly and easygoing—I know he would’ve been happy at all of them. But yesterday, in a long meeting with his high school guidance counselor, S seemed most persuaded by one data point: transfer rates. In the past 20 years, not one student who matriculated to Wesleyan from S’s high school has transferred out.

S’s guidance counselor believes Wes is the best fit for him, both in terms of culture and academics. And that was enough to confirm what I believe he was already feeling.

S21 is still on six waitlists, three of which he would seriously consider if offered a spot, and one he would take in a heartbeat. But I can see he’s already moving on. If there is one thing this admissions’ cycle taught him (and me) it’s to keep expectations low and momentum high.

Thanks to all of you for your insight, wisdom, and beautiful photos.
My S thanks you as well. Peace.

20 Likes

Congratulations! There has to be relief with finally making a decision.

You mentioned in your opening post that your son has some interest in the environment. So, just a reminder. Wesleyan has an entire undergraduate College of the Environment. It’s just a few years old, but that’s quite a statement about the priority that Wesleyan is putting on that issue.

Best wishes to your son for 4 great years.

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Best of luck to your son at Wesleyan!

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s definitely a relief.
Agree, @Bill_Marsh, Wes’s COE is doing some great work, many impressive professors.